Carnivore or Vegitarian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
We are aboard Esmeralde for the next month as we renovate our home and tonight is “grill night”.
What is your preference, meat or vegetables?
I am having garlic rosemary crusted rack of lamb, Dorsey is feasting on maple mustard tempeh, with kale sweet potato, beets and pepitas.
Time to eat!
Bruce

Attachments

• C3DC7FBB-AAC2-44DF-BF3B-6C987725852B.jpg
    C3DC7FBB-AAC2-44DF-BF3B-6C987725852B.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 100
  • F5DEFAE5-E61A-423A-B4B7-AB6AB61318AA.jpg
    F5DEFAE5-E61A-423A-B4B7-AB6AB61318AA.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 104
  • FA8226FD-A2BE-441F-AC81-70542866266A.jpg
    FA8226FD-A2BE-441F-AC81-70542866266A.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 108
Greetings,
Omnivore here. How do you do your asparagus? I used to simply steam it but of late I have been grilling or sauteing it with balsamic vinegar and a touch of red pepper flakes. If sauteing, I usually de-glaze the pan with a dash of white wine in lieu of the balsamic.

Sorry dude...you're an omnivore!

You do know that the Navajo and Apache definition for "Vegetarian" is "he who doesn't know how to hunt!"

I'm a meat eater. Vegetables are OK but it ain't a real dinner unless there's meat on my plate.

Greetings,
Omnivore here. How do you do your asparagus? I used to simply steam it but of late I have been grilling or sauteing it with balsamic vinegar and a touch of red pepper flakes. If sauteing, I usually de-glaze the pan with a dash of white wine in lieu of the balsamic.

All that sounds excellent.

Bruce tends to find a way that he likes something (in this case, asparagus, grilled, with s&p and EVOO) and wants to repeat it forever. I, on the other hand, like to try something different each and every time. :rofl:

All that sounds excellent.

Bruce tends to find a way that he likes something (in this case, asparagus, grilled, with s&p and EVOO) and wants to repeat it forever. I, on the other hand, like to try something different each and every time. :rofl:

Sigh... I can’t win...

Attachments

• FB2460C6-4264-4F80-B9A8-EE7469EFB0E9.jpeg
    FB2460C6-4264-4F80-B9A8-EE7469EFB0E9.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 306
Greetings..How do you do your asparagus? I used to simply steam it but of late I have been grilling or sauteing it with balsamic ....
We have a French made tall cylindrical asparagus cooker with inner full height basket and lid. The bottom of the stems sit in water, it boils for around 4 minutes, the tips cook in the steam.
Add butter, salt, pepper as desired. Steaming time can be less if to be served cold "crunchy",then I plunge into cold water to halt the cooking process before adding good olive oil and refrigerating.
Other than that, I`ve not really thought about it.

I'm definitely an omnivore. Can't go long without both meat and vegies.

I roast asparagus in the oven with a light coat of olive oil and a choice of seasoning (salt, pepper, or whatever.) Find boiling takes away some taste and vitamins.

We are aboard Esmeralde for the next month as we renovate our home and tonight is “grill night”.
What is your preference, meat or vegetables?
I am having garlic rosemary crusted rack of lamb, Dorsey is feasting on maple mustard tempeh, with kale sweet potato, beets and pepitas.
Time to eat!
Bruce

It all looks mighty tasty Bruce. :thumb: What kind of cocktails are we having? :rofl:

Cheers.

H.

I'm an omnivore. Like my asparagus anyway the restaurant makes it. I wonder if you can cook it in a microwave? :rolleyes:

Ted

Funny how some veggies like corn and microwaves go hand in hand.

Never tried asparagus, thinking if like string beans, microwaving it just may make it tough.

Yep Ted, bettet let the restaurant try the diffetent methods... :)

You sure?

There is some pretty fancy microwave cookware that lets you cook many things unimagineable in that box, :)

Greetings,
Mr. BrB. Sorry for the confusion. I was NOT suggesting using a microwave oven to fry an egg. Frypan please. Surely I don't have to go down there and hold your hand...on the other hand, you never answered the cocktail question (post #12). THAT could be the reason for your apparent befuddlement...

Greetings,
Mr. BrB. Sorry for the confusion. I was NOT suggesting using a microwave oven to fry an egg. Frypan please. Surely I don't have to go down there and hold your hand...on the other hand, you never answered the cocktail question (post #12). THAT could be the reason for your apparent befuddlement...

A Rutherford Ranch Red blend...not too much, I promise!
Bruce

I'm not sure why asparagus got so skinny over the past 10 years. I prefer the taste and texture of the thicker stalks. One good thing to do with large asparagus though is use a potato peeler on the bottom 1/3rd.
If you're a "visual" person like me, it's nice to blanche asparagus first to hold the bright green color. Same for broccoli.

Wifey B: You can use a microwave fry an egg or at least end up with similar, to poach an egg or scramble one. You can also use for asparagus. You can steam it quite well.

Ok, as to eating. Hubby and I both require meat at all meals.

We like veggies ok, green stuff and beans.

We like salads some nights.

We love berries which are very healthy.

We love fruit, but....and it's a huge but...all the sugar in fruit is just weight looking to jump on you so we limit it enough to not gain weight.

We generally eat balanced meals. We also don't eat potatoes much when cooking at home or on the boat but we will get baked potatoes when eating out. Never do either of us eat French Fries. We eat mashed potatoes only with fried chicken.

We also do not eat much bread. Ordinary dinner at home or on the boat, no bread. Fancy restaurant a little and special occasions at home.

Ok, you'll laugh at this one but hubby started it and I actually like it ok. If we decide to fix sandwiches for lunch, we skip the bread. Lettuce wraps, especially romaine leaves, are nice but otherwise we just get all the makings we want and put it on a plate and eat with a fork.

We do have a chocolate and ice cream weakness and do both but when we see any weight gain then none of either for a couple of days until we've reversed it.

We also eat large quantities (he more than I do) and know that we'll have to reduce as we age. We're not as bad as we once were. Hubby ate incredible quantities of food when he was young. :)

Last edited:
Wifey B: And for full disclosure. He and I use to cook nearly every night. Generally when we cook, he will grill the meats and I'll make salads and we'll pour veggies out of a package or can. Now, most of the time today we have someone else around to cook and they all are incredible cooks. Hubby will still grill meats and I'll still do salads, but they do all the fancy stuff. :)

You do know that the Navajo and Apache definition for "Vegetarian" is "he who doesn't know how to hunt!"

That's a funny joke.

But seriously, do you know the derivation of the word omnivore? Interestingly, it comes from the Camanche word for, "dies young."

Really! Look it up!

My then fifty-eight-year-old sister called me on the phone, frantically asking how to make hard-boiled eggs. :banghead::banghead: This is a good lesson on how many women don't know how to cook. My other sister isn't beyond pouring milk in a bowl of cereal! (I've been doing most all the home cooking for nearly fifty years.)

Well, place the eggs in a pot with cold water covering. Bring to a boil and take off the heat and cover the pot. After fourteen minutes, cool in cold water.

My then fifty-eight-year-old sister called me on the phone, frantically asking how to make hard-boiled eggs. :banghead::banghead: This is a good lesson on how many women don't know how to cook. My other sister isn't beyond pouring milk in a bowl of cereal! (I've been doing most all the home cooking for nearly fifty years.)

Well, place the eggs in a pot with cold water covering. Bring to a boil and take off the heat and cover the pot. After fourteen minutes, cool in cold water.

Wifey B: I've never done that. Neither has hubby. Never had the need. Now I have seen some slick modern ways to do it advertised. :confused:

Omnivore: "The word omnivore derives from the Latin omnis (all), and vora, from vorare, (to eat or devour), having been coined by the French and later adopted by the English in the 1800s.[16] Traditionally the definition for omnivory was entirely behavioral by means of simply "including both animal and vegetable tissue in the diet."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom