Is it really a Fiberglass Hull?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
For anyone who hasn't already done so.* Visit these websites (below) of marine surveyor David Pascoe.
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm
(below) this would be the second 63' Bertram to have catastrophic hull delamination, both nearly new boats. *The alleged cause, if proven to be true, resulted in the sinking of the first.* These are $2 million dollar boats.
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bad_news_for_Bertram.htm
The state of boat manufacturing has really gone downhill over the years, with the introduction of so called composite materials in boat hull constructions.* The amount of fiberglass construction material and hull strength *is at best minimal. It leaves one wondering how dependable these materials really are?* Would you really trust the lives of your friends and family to one of these boats?

I have read his reports before as he has trashed the maker of my boat. He doesn't take into considereation how a boat is to be used when making his valuations.
With unlimited funds and a requirement for extreme conditions, his reports may be of value.

Holy Crap! I mean....I knew that the industry was in for another shocking realization about mating so-called composites, but it makes you wonder how valuable the best of resins, assembly procedures, vacuum bagging or Skrimp processes could be when the materials themselves may be incompatible. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Edilweiss.

It's sad to see this happen, I suppose any boat manufacture can have a bad design model or production errors occur. *But for me, my first big boat experiences were on my uncles 31' Bertram, twin big block gas and very fast. *I had an opportunity to spend time on her cruising between Vancouver, BC and Seattle several times. *It was a thrill of a lifetime and a major reason I am boating today.

Composite is a* bogus* term like HI FI.

Has little meaning in the real world as ANYTHING can be called "composite" including paper mache..

Really good boats can be composite , many of the Euro rescue and Pilot boats are GRP and Airex.

Hand laid up it creates a grand , light, stiff , repairable hull.

Sadly real composite requires skill sets and tooling that costs money .

-- Edited by FF on Monday 5th of September 2011 04:11:32 AM

Back
Top Bottom