New User looking for a Captain to move my new boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CruisingSlow

Vessel Name
Cruisin C's
Vessel Make
Carver 440
Hi Everyone,

Newbie user here looking for a captain (yes, this is a paid engagement at a reasonable agreed upon rate) who is available to take our newly purchased boat with me from the current marina in Hammond, IN to its new home in Chattanooga, TN. I'd prefer someone with experience in this model boat (2000 Carver 504) or close to it.

I will also be looking for this captain to provide us (wife and I) education and instruction on this boat. I do have previously experience but as my flight instructor told me on the day I graduated flight school, you now have a license to learn and it never expires!

I'd be leaving as soon after the papers are signed (No later than October 8 -
12) remaining flexible on dates. I'd like to do the trip as quickly as is reasonable and am not planning on any sightseeing stops.

I'm not sure what other info you may need so please write and I'll provide any details required.

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to a new life on water...

I'm familiar with that boat layout and I'm a CFI/II :rofl:.

Earlier this year I helped a friend of mine move his newly purchased Carver 444 from Jacksonville over to the west coast of Florida.

Just some things to think about for this trip -

What speed are you planning on running? We averaged just shy of 17kts. while cruising and many times we were at hull speed due to congestion. That's a long way and sure to take a least a week at even the highest speed. There was a lot of diesel fuel burned too!

What do you want to accomplish on this trip? Learning the boat's characteristics? Learning navigation? Not getting pushed overboard by your wife?

Have you been through this boat and are you ready for contingencies such as mechanical failure or delays? On the boat I brought around we had a great trip until we hit a submerged log. We then had to go into repair mode. We also "missed" a lock opening since we got there at 4:35 not 4:30 (even though the lock was open until 5pm, the operator wasn't going to open it) so we had to stay a day tied to a dolphin while waiting for a lock opening in the morning.

I'm familiar with that boat layout and I'm a CFI/II :rofl:.

A fellow pilot, great! My wife will hate us both. :thumb:

Earlier this year I helped a friend of mine move his newly purchased Carver 444 from Jacksonville over to the west coast of Florida.

Just some things to think about for this trip -

What speed are you planning on running? We averaged just shy of 17kts. while cruising and many times we were at hull speed due to congestion. That's a long way and sure to take a least a week at even the highest speed. There was a lot of diesel fuel burned too!

I'm really not sure what to expect but in general I wanted to simply get the boat to Chattanooga without spending any real time viewing the sights. Pushing the boat at times would be good to ensure any engine work that was not caught during inspections would also be something an experienced captain could also help me identify. I understand the diesel burn and cost but I am willing to spend that to get to home quicker at this time. We'll have time for the leisure trips once we get settled. As for learning, I am new to a boat of this size and again looking for the captain to assist me with getting a "feel for handling the it". Navigation too as I haven't used a chart plotter or auto pilot before. Most importantly, I want to end the trip with a "check-ride" to best understand the things I need more practice with.

What do you want to accomplish on this trip? Learning the boat's characteristics? Learning navigation? Not getting pushed overboard by your wife?

Wife? What wife, geezz did we leave her at the dock??? :banghead:

Have you been through this boat and are you ready for contingencies such as mechanical failure or delays? On the boat I brought around we had a great trip until we hit a submerged log. We then had to go into repair mode. We also "missed" a lock opening since we got there at 4:35 not 4:30 (even though the lock was open until 5pm, the operator wasn't going to open it) so we had to stay a day tied to a dolphin while waiting for a lock opening in the morning.

The boat is ready - as best as I, the broker and former owner who spent 5 years with her traveling the ICW as a live-aboard, can be but any suggestions and equipment we may need will always be a consideration before we go.

Thanks for the input and advice!

"The boat is ready - as best as I, the broker and former owner who spent 5 years with her traveling the ICW as a live-aboard, can be but"

AS you and the boat driver will have some sort of sked , I suggest you have someone take her out for a 4-5 hour run to see how ready she actually is.

At best you can find problems before being on a sked, at worst you burned 100G of diesel for peace of mind.

Get tow insurance (Sea Tow or BoatUS) before you leave.

And please--- don't forget to have the captain added as a operator on your insurance

I've moved a couple of boats for friends on the Mississippi, Illinois rivers and lakes Michigan and Huron. Being at Hammond you don't have much travel on the Lake and once on the rivers it's a reasonably easy trip the rest of the way. Timing your trip through Chicago and the required locks is the most stressful with all the tow traffic. Check your air clearance height so you know what bridges you can pass without a lift because some open on a schedule. It is a great trip to be enjoyed. The one choice at the beginning is choosing which route through Chicago to the Illinois river, either the cal sag or through downtown Chicago on the Chicago river. I've been both and the Chicago river is something to see with all the skyscrapers and office buildings, it has a lot more traffic- water taxis, kayaks and rec boats. If you need any advice on marinas or fuel stops send a pm, fuel shouldn't be a problem I used 144 gallons last year from Hammond to Grafton, Illinois.

The one choice at the beginning is choosing which route through Chicago to the Illinois river, either the cal sag or through downtown Chicago on the Chicago river.

Lived in Chicago and spent many a summer day at Navy Pier. You're right though, choosing which route to take will be a coin toss. I'd love to spend more time there but also need to get back home within a few weeks.

Coin toss coming...

Try posting your need on Yachtforums.com. A lot of licensed delivery captains hang out there, as well as Carver owners.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom