3 best/worse Trawlers 38-43??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjw767

HI Looking for opinions on the 3 best and worst 3 brands of trawlers for use on the Chesapeake ....like a nice upper deck and two sleeping areas....twin or single.....say 38-43' made after 2000....Thanks

ok... :)

The best trawler is one that was continously maintained and upgraded without regards to cost.

The worst trawler is one that was purchased, and never used, and never had any work done to it.

The best trawler typically has higher hours, and might scare away a buyer with those hours.

The worst trawler is often advertised as "low time" or "almost new" and because of that attracts the unknowing buyer.

Forget brands. Look at and buy what you like

Welcome.

The best trawler is the one that fits your needs and is well maintained as others has stated.

The worst trawler is the one that does not fit your needs and something is always breaking!

Cheers.

H.

ok... :)

The best trawler is one that was continously maintained and upgraded without regards to cost.

The worst trawler is one that was purchased, and never used, and never had any work done to it.

The best trawler typically has higher hours, and might scare away a buyer with those hours.

The worst trawler is often advertised as "low time" or "almost new" and because of that attracts the unknowing buyer.

Forget brands. Look at and buy what you like
:iagree:

A thread designed to spark up a dull board?
What suits someone may appall someone else. You have to do the hard yards yourself. Get out,walk docks, read adverts, see boats, even talk to brokers. Something will emerge.

To go w the posts above;

The best trawler is one that has been bought and sold about every four years or so upgraded by every owner in different ways.

1st owner upgrades the builder's fit and finish. Better cleats. Better windshield wipers, better carpets, better head and perhaps anchor and winch.

2nd owner upgrades electronics, batteries, charging system.

3rd owner adds a genset, dingy crane.

4th owner repowers w very high end engines and drive systems.

Well you get the picture. After multiple owners sink lots of money into the boat it could'nt be duplicated for less than twice the cost of the boat new. A buy at practically any price. Hard to find though. But boats that fit this description are probably more numerous than one would think. Many people pump lots of money into a new boat and boats get sold often.

Unless the boat's a freak design it would probably be close to the ideal boat.

Welcome aboard. Because people are pretty friendly on this site, and in fact many actually know each other, it's unlikely that you'll get brand name comments...especially negative ones. It's courtesy.
Of course like any product, boats come in far different quality levels. Resins, fittings, cabinetry, electronics, pumps and system components...there are ranges for all of those and much more. (I would say that most well-known marine diesel brands are all 'pretty good' if properly maintained although of course we all have our preferences and reasons we like A over B)

But the previous member comments are accurate - for all brands, salt water is a caustic liquid that wears things out just sitting there. Maintenance is key, so an un-maintained but originally expensive boat can be a worse choice than a less expensive but well maintained boat. The other thing is - and this will become evidently important real quick - do you even LIKE the boat?
I'll give you a personal example that's really indicative of all this:
Some years back I was shopping online and had decided that Brands X, Y and Z were my top choices. I knew from my research that they were all built by conscientious yards with good reputations and quality control. Price was commensurate with quality . But when I actually walked these boats, I found that I didn't like various things about any of them. One felt like a cave down below. Another "hobby-horsed" in a chop. On one, the bridge deck was just plain uncomfortable for me. They were all well-regarded and of good quality. But a less expensive brand actually had what I was looking for and fit what I wanted to do. Some would say this particular brand is not as heavy-duty, and that could be. But for my purposes it was a better choice and the quality was just fine.

Attend a Trawler-Fest somewhere...maybe more than one. Go with a knowledgeable buddy. Become an educated buyer . And cogitate on what you REALLY want to do with a "Trawler"....it's a very broad term. Lurk on this site for awhile and go back through older subject strings . All of that info will guide you more than opinions about brands. You'll reach your own conclusions.

Ps: what if I asked, "Is Lexus a good product? What about a Chevy Tahoe LTZ? Hyundai Genesis? Tesla? VW Jetta?
Truth is, they're all pretty good brands but far different price points. So, not being a smart-a** here...but you'd be right to say, "What are you going to use the car for?" Same with boats. And prior maintenance is really, really, really important. Really.

Sorry for the ambiguity on these replies so far.
Here is the undisputed best trawler
(I cannot advise the worst)

IMG_0102.jpg

38-43 was that meters or fathoms?

Wifey B:

Best: Potarneyland, Baratheon, Lannister. :D

Worst: Titan, Gustloff, Poseidon :nonono::nonono:

simple.

it depends on the anchor!

Agree. The best is a trawler that is used. The worst is one that sits on the hard unused.

The very best is the one I'll have for sale one day in the (hopefully) distant future.

No low hour boats- they tend to have issues that surface after using them like YOU want. Same with cars garaged and owned by grandma only driving on Sunday... then purchased by a teenager.

It takes a year or so for some low use boat concerns to surface. When was the _________ installed or serviced last? Older low use installations have to take into consideration material fatigue, parts availability - even on a 2000 model.

I get the fact that some folks by boats just to live on the water, but it astounds me to see boats more than 10 years old, with less than 100 hours on the engine(s)!

Jim

For long range cruising anchoring out, Krogen 42, Willard 40 and DeFever 4?. For coastal cruising Grand Banks 42, American/Nordic Tug 42 and ?

Just my opinion. Won't enter the battle on the worst, but there are brands which have had severe window problems and other with other known problems.

Thanks everyone....these are all constructive and add some depth to the decision process.

I own an older Mainship 34 and think it's probably the Worst trawler. Great boat but build quality is so/so but more importantly it's not really a trawler nor does it look like one.

Cant beat the price for a "see if it's for me" boat.

PS I really like my boat but someone has to come last.

Of the boats that actually look like a trawler it should be obvious which ones are top tier vs bottom tier boat(Example Nordhavn vs Marine Trader) when you write the check.

Comparing top tier boats would be silly because IMO they are all very very well built and it's going to come down to layout which is person to person.

IMO it's easier to compare older/lower tier boat construction.

Last edited:
My votes (all are production boats, widely available):

Best: Grand Banks, Kady Krogen, Albin

Worst: Marine Trader,?,?

My votes (all are production boats, widely available):

Best: Grand Banks, Kady Krogen, Albin

Worst: Marine Trader,?,?

Albin??? I agree Albin isn't the worst but one of the best? I'm NOT disputing your opinion. It just surprised me.

Kady Krogen! Ask Rich (Wxx3) as he passes up the west coast. He has been half way around the world in his 42.

Albin??? I agree Albin isn't the worst but one of the best? I'm NOT disputing your opinion. It just surprised me.

Albin isn't high end, its a price point boat, of course. I have always liked their trade offs between price and quality.

I own an older Mainship 34 and think it's probably the Worst trawler. Great boat but build quality is so/so but more importantly it's not really a trawler nor does it look like one.

Cant beat the price for a "see if it's for me" boat.

PS I really like my boat but someone has to come last.

Of the boats that actually look like a trawler it should be obvious which ones are top tier vs bottom tier boat(Example Nordhavn vs Marine Trader) when you write the check.

Comparing top tier boats would be silly because IMO they are all very very well built and it's going to come down to layout which is person to person.

IMO it's easier to compare older/lower tier boat construction.

I really liked my 1978 Mainship for many reasons - it was very economical, handled head and quarter seas well, a pretty good layout for a 34' boat of that era. It had a number of the typical assembly issues that many boats of this time suffered from.

I think NomadWilly hit in post #3. It really depends on what you're using it for. I would add that it also depends on who is using it. A family of 5 using it on the weekends and week long vacations is much different than a cruising couple on an long-term cruise.

A blue water vessel used for ocean passages is much different than a coastal cruiser. If you're limited to the Chesapeake, then a Searay express cruiser can get the job.

If you plan on crossing oceans, then a Mainship or an Albin is not going to cut it.

Albin is alot of boat for the money and that counts for something.

The best trawler is probably custom built with a name not recognized by anyone.

I really liked my 1978 Mainship for many reasons - it was very economical, handled head and quarter seas well, a pretty good layout for a 34' boat of that era. It had a number of the typical assembly issues that many boats of this time suffered from.

I'm not selling mine and there's plenty to like but IMO its the worst "trawler" but only because of the design being more of a semi planing boat. That Flat back is something I love since I regularly boat in shallow water but it really stinks in a following sea.

It's more of a coastal cruiser in my eyes which if most trawler owners were honest with themselves they don't spend tons of time in blue water.

The protected running gear of the Mainship has saved my butt more times than i'd like to admit.

Back
Top Bottom