Dock Fenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYTraveler

Guru
My boat has had a "permanent" slip for a couple years, so it finally occurred to me that I could attach fenders to the dock and thereby eliminate the need to remove and deploy temporary fenders from the boat every time I take it in and out. I can't see any reason not to, but thought I would ask about the experiences of others before making the switch. What type are best?
Is there any maintenance? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks, Rick

Attaching anything to wooden docks will shorten their life. Because of this reason, attaching anything to the docks, such as fenders, rub rails, etc... has been prohibited. If your marina doesn't mind, I don't see a down side.

I have 4 teardrop fenders attached permanently (for the summer) to my dock. Saves a lot of work putting them in and out of the boat. I dock my boat at my home so I can do whatever I want.

Hopefully you can hang them out of the water, so they don't collect growth and then rub it all over your shiny paint job.
The floating pier I use is too low for that, so I hang them off the boat, and must deploy/retrieve them on every trip.

My boat has had a "permanent" slip for a couple years, so it finally occurred to me that I could attach fenders to the dock and thereby eliminate the need to remove and deploy temporary fenders from the boat every time I take it in and out. I can't see any reason not to, but thought I would ask about the experiences of others before making the switch. What type are best?
Is there any maintenance? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks, Rick

Dock" Bumpers" or fenders fitted correctly to your dock not only protects your vessel but also protects the dock as well!(By adding the dock bumpers to it, the bumper will absorb most of the impact so the dock is not affected as much.)

Cheers Steve

If they are attached to the boat. they are "fenders". Attach them to the dock and they become "bumpers".

The downside of dock bumpers as opposed to fenders attached to the boat is, as the boat moves in the slip, the fenders roll with the boat, protecting the gelcoat.

Attach the same fenders to the dock (they are now "bumpers") and when the boat moves in the slip, the gelcoat rubs on the bumpers.

So, consider conditions in your slip. If there's no current or water movement, bumpers may work for you. If there is constant reversing current or water movement, hanging fenders from the boat protects the gelcoat.

Does your boat touch the dock when it's secured, or do you just need the protection when coming and going?

From Wikipedia "fenders (boating)"......

Marine fenders are used at ports and docks on quay walls and other berthing structures. They absorb the kinetic energy of a berthing vessel and thus prevent damage to the vessel or the berthing structure. There are 2 major categories of fenders for port applications: Fixed and Floating.[2] Fixed fenders are mounted to the berth structure and compose of buckling fenders such as cell fenders,

The stuctures around bridges to prevent bridge damage are called "fender systems.

If they are attached to the boat. they are "fenders". Attach them to the dock and they become "bumpers".

The downside of dock bumpers as opposed to fenders attached to the boat is, as the boat moves in the slip, the fenders roll with the boat, protecting the gelcoat.

Attach the same fenders to the dock (they are now "bumpers") and when the boat moves in the slip, the gelcoat rubs on the bumpers.

So, consider conditions in your slip. If there's no current or water movement, bumpers may work for you. If there is constant reversing current or water movement, hanging fenders from the boat protects the gelcoat.

WesK,

Good points.... one of the issues some of us have (and perhaps the OP), is that the dock is fixed and the tide moves enough so fender don't work well, unless you get those real long ones. Is there some sort of bumper that works better for less gel coat rubbing? I've seen those wheels, but sure don't seem strong enough, unless there were several of them.

Perhaps the OP could benefit from your answer. Thoughts?

WesK,

Good points.... one of the issues some of us have (and perhaps the OP), is that the dock is fixed and the tide moves enough so fender don't work well, unless you get those real long ones. Is there some sort of bumper that works better for less gel coat rubbing? I've seen those wheels, but sure don't seem strong enough, unless there were several of them.

Perhaps the OP could benefit from your answer. Thoughts?

Look up "fender boards" on the Internet. Basically, you hang two fenders on the boat and hang a long board between them and the dock pilings. The board(s) ride on the dock or pilings and the fenders are between the board and the boat.

Fender+board,+Chincoteague.jpg

That's a random photo. the boards can be several feet long if needed.

You can also buy rubber pieces that slide onto a standard piece of 2X4 lumber which eliminates the extra fenders. We carry a pair of these for use on fixed docks when cruising. All the docks in our home area are floating docks and standard fenders work fine.

Last edited:
Look up "fender boards" on the Internet. Basically, you hang two fenders on the boat and hang a long board between them and the dock pilings. The board(s) ride on the dock or pilings and the fenders are between the board and the boat.

Fender+board,+Chincoteague.jpg

That's a random photo. the boards can be several feet long if needed.

You can also buy rubber pieces that slide onto a standard piece of 2X4 lumber which eliminates the extra fenders. We carry a pair of these for use on fixed docks when cruising. All the docks in our home area are floating docks and standard fenders work fine.

Good product, I've seen some of those...looks like they could be homemade or commercially bought. I think having them for travel is a great idea. Could use them at home, too. But still looking for a more permanent solution.

Thx

Our marina uses the NOMAR fenders of the type Giggitoni linked to. I like them because they are screwed to the boards around the concrete docks, don't have to be adjusted or moved and do provide protection for the boat.

If there's a downside to them, we live in an area with a lot of dust and the fenders always appear dirty. The surface of the fenders collects dust and, if the boat is allowed to rub against them, that dust would act as an abrasive. When my boat is in the slip we keep it centered using the dock lines so the boat never touches the fenders.

The only time it comes in contact with the fenders is when we're pulling in or pulling out of the slip.

Whatever they are called I have been tying them to the finger pier for the last several years. They make life easier.
YMMV

Thank you all for your advice. Mine is the end tie of a floating dock. Wind and current are such that the boat is rarely against the dock, although the bow is occasionally pulled out which has the effect of pulling the stern in. I had not considered the potential for abrasion if the fender (bumper) can't spin.

100% Accurate. I had to repaint a boot stripe due to this very scenario. I moved my fenders to the dock when refinishing my brightwork and in less than a week it rubbed through the boot stripe.

The gelcoat (or rub rail) will still rub on them. Not as bad as bare timber but still bad on gelcoat or paint.

Does depend on the boat configuration, but those bumper strips are what we installed too (post 7, or so).. and only the rubrail ever touches. And even then, only occasionally, usually at way higher than normal tides, in our case, before I adjust lines again.

They make some of those for floating docks and along edges of finger piers... I could imagine they might touch hull sides in some instances... but then I'd also guess it'd be better than hull sides against wood or concrete... and line adjustment could still minimize hull/rubber contact.

Not really a recommendation, just an observation...

-Chris

Last edited:
Does depend on the boat configuration, but those bumper strips are what we installed too (post 7, or so).. and only the rubrail ever touches. And even then, only occasionally, usually at way higher than normal tides, in our case, before I adjust lines again.

They make some of those for floating docks and along edges of finger piers... I could imagine they might touch hull sides in some instances... but then I'd also guess it'd be better than hull sides against wood or concrete... and line adjustment could still minimize hull/rubber contact.

Not really a recommendation, just an observation...

-Chris

In my experience, most floating docks have rubber or plastic rub rails all around the dock. Still, fenders should be deployed. Otherwise the boat rubs on those rails and you end up with black streaks on the hull that have to be removed with a solvent (acetone).

If you are in a double wide slip or a face dock, there's no amount of line adjusting that will keep your boat off the dock. You are going to rub and sometimes rub hard because of wind or waves.

First, "fenders" is perfectly correct. Bridges have fendering systems, as do many commercial piers. Around here saying "bumpers" makes you sound like a lubber. But if that's local usage where you are, then when in Rome...

I've found that fenders can cause a boat to bounce, and ruin a perfect docking. Another solution is old fire hose, fastened accordion-style along the outermost edge of the floating dock. You can buy expensive plastic edging, but as WesK points out it can leave marks after a while. Once safely docked, then you can deploy fenders.

Whether attached to the dock or vessel, any fender can leave a mark if not clean might have oxidation..

A vessels rub rails should determine when and where and what kind of fenders could/should be used.

Most of the time a vessel can be tied up to put minimal pressure on fenders except in extreme conditions. Understanding how tight spings can pull a vessel away from a finger pier is advanced seamanship, but used by experienced boaters regularly.

Last edited:
Around here. with floating docks, many marinas will tell you (over the radio) to "Set your fenders to the waterline." Rub rails will have no contact with the docks or pilings with the floating docks around here.

Personally, I disagree with Captain Tom about when to set out your fenders. I deploy them prior to entering the marina. That's for floating docks. Fixed docks with pilings could be a different situation.

Obviously, it's the captain's choice and based on the situation at hand.

Last edited:
Obviously the captain has to prepare his vessel for the expected situation.....

Once there, often a quick change in rigging fenders and lines might be necessary....but we digress...

The OP was intetested in permenently installed fenders for a home dock...lots of possibilities, some not like what people from other areas can fathom.

Each situation is so different that a guess is just that, ultimately motion is the enemy and dirt on boat or dock fenders is bad. Rubbing transfered to rubrails is better...rubbing on flat surfaces is bad.

Last edited:
Personally, I disagree with Captain Tom about when to set out your fenders. I deploy them prior to entering the marina. That's for floating docks. Fixed docks with pilings could be a different situation.

Actually, we agree. On my Down East Loop last year, I learned to deploy every fender we had, both sides, some high and some low, when approaching an unknown marina. You just never knew where you'd end up, or how much time you'd have to prepare.

If you have good comms with the marina ahead of time, you can hash that all out. When the marina is either sparsely staffed, or there is a language barrier, it's best to be ready for anything.

Obviously things are different at your home dock. There you can set it up in advance, just the way you like it. I find the fire hose the best solution I've used yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom