Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"I am not current with present battery charger technology so I cannot comment as to any programmable ones being available if any."

With the feds and states sloshing cash for "renewable" energy there is a huge boom in equipment and suppliers.

Home Power has been the leader for a long time in this area , and there are probably 10,000 as many customers for homes and electric cars , and even now electric motorcycles than for cruising boats.

Home Power Magazine: Renewable Energy & Efficiency Technologies

https://www.homepower.com/

Independently published since 1987, Home Power magazine is the premier information resource for small-scale renewable energy and energy efficiency ...

Solar Electricity

Practical articles on solar electricity (photovoltaic, PV) basics ...

Sign In

You may login with either your assigned username or your e ...

Subscribe

Subscribe and Save! DIGITAL FORMAT? Our digital edition is ...

Sample Issue

Download the following sample issue of Home Power and see ...

Issue Gallery

Issue Gallery. Sign in now to view/download your Home Power ...

Customer Service

Customer & Subscriber Services ... Att: Subscription Services, PO ...

More results from homepower.com »

what type of batteries are you using ?? I have a 36 ft albin which currently has 6 house batteries flood type. and one starter flood. They were put in in 2013. I think its time for replacement and asking what type/manufacture most folks are using . mine are group 24 ... thank you

I just put in two Mastervolt 4D batteries. Also installed a Balmar SmartGauge. So far, very happy with the setup. I was sorta forced into the Mastervolt as they are a bit narrower than standard-sized 4D batteries and were one of the only 4D's that would fit in the existing space I had.

That said, the Mastervolt are supposed to be very good batteries.

"I think its time for replacement and asking what type/manufacture most folks are using . mine are group 24 ... thank you"

Space is the limiter ., install the largest heaviest deep cycle batts that will fit in the existing batt box., if you anchor out a bunch.

Question:

Why would going from 6v to 12v be a bad idea?

Ah. That makes a big difference. Sounds like a decent house set-up, and if the capacity has been sufficient, maybe no need at all for design change.

(And replacing those with most 12V batteries would likely be a step backwards. See CMS links about deep cycle batteries.)

Question:
Why would going from 6v to 12v be a bad idea?

Don't think it is, by definition. Depends.

If you're asking about my comment above, that's situational. In his case, he's already got a house bank of approx 440 Ah (guessing a bit) with two pairs of 6V golf cart batteries. Usually more capacity (Ah) and decent deep cycling are goals for house banks... and often golf cart batteries are apparently a good way to get there from here.

The 12V batteries he mentioned as possible replacements -- to fit the available space -- would likely decrease his overall capacity, and would likely not be deep cycle batteries.

But I think each situation likely needs its own analysis...

-Chris

Last edited:
The fact that you've used Lifeline for your AGMs is why, an "exception that proves the rule".

At the low priced end of the market, pairs of 6V FLA GCs are a great value, like $180 for 200+AH, but not those automotive form factors in 12V.

The OP asked an informal poll on what people are using. I provided my stats.

It's not clear what you're criticizing here. The Lifeline brand, 12V, the battery form factor? sizes? Are you saying that your opinion is the only right opinion?

Also not clear on the 'exception' and 'rule' being referenced.

Rotella

I have a ford lelham diesel whus grade of oilf should I be using in my engine 120 hp I have been using rotella 15w

Probably inwring section for above question

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom