Old 09-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #148
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
It appears that the overall summary spill log is now able to be consulted online. If you go to this site and click the year you will get the list of that years reported pill events - typically over 20,000 /year.
USCG National Response Center Home Page

But you would still need to go onsite to research a location or an individual spill to see if their was a cleanup, cleanup fine or post remedial fine (fine with no cleanup) for that specific event.
Only reason I know of this is when I have done research on a building I may have wanted tp lease of a home that I may have wanted to buy. It did steer me away from one potential large issue a number of years back.
I didnt mean any more than to point out a huge possible payout by an insurance company that they cover you for very small premium. Someone did the math yet many here were making a big deal about spills that are insignificant for the most part in the eyes of regulators. Still never good to pollute. In our case, more often the result of an accident than negligent fuel handling for more than a gallon or so unless you are asleep at ghe pump handle.

In fact, on my policy, nearly a million in cleanup is offered as an "included" coverage where my $1000 dingy with $100 deductible costs $15. Do the math and risk taken by the insurance coverage. That is my point.

Note that the vast majority of those reports are land based.

After skimming thousands of 2010 reports, back in my heyday of salvaging, no reports rang a bell, in fact in the thousands of reports, I only saw one that was tagged to a "Yacht Service" which doesnt even prove it was a water based spill.

So if you owned a boat that carried little fuel and oil, it would be a coverage to take a good look at if contemplating only carrying liability.

Its included in mine for an unknown but built in cost, so I am not sweating it either way.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote