View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #11
CaptSteve53

City: Subic Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidza View Post
Thank you Steve. I was just curious, not against rubber impeller pumps, so basically compactness could be the main reason, since both can be implemented with pulley or gear. Are you sure 100/350 is centrifugal pump (self priming is obvious)? I am confused since in original Gilkes brochure for M series says "...self priming....side channel liquid ring type", and in manual is mentioned side channel and intersection picture and diagram of pump really resembles liquid ring pump. But, I was not lazy and I have then investegated self priming centrifugal pump types and also it does resemble a bit on centrifugal pumps called regenerative pumps or centrifugal pumps with two casing chambers and open impeller. Would you know to tell me what type exactly is this pump? It is not my original brochure, but in the link I have given is really representative intersection picture of the pump:

http://www.avmdiesel.com/previews/M%20Series%20Pump.pdf

Anyway, glad to hear that they are reliable and present for years.

Thank you Sunchaser, I would be very glad to hear the pros for using rubber impeller pump on 555 from Clectric, I know he is using 555 and I have already got good infos about the engine from him in the past.

Thank you Northern Spy.
Definition of centrifugal pump:

A pump having vanes that rotate in a casing and whirl the fluid around so that it acquires sufficient momentum to discharge from the extremities into a volute casing which surrounds the impeller and in which the fluid is conducted to the discharge pipe:

Definition of a Liquid Ring Pump: A liquid ring vacuum pump has an impeller with blades attached to a center hub, located in a cylindrical body, but off-set from the center. ... When the pump starts, the impeller slings the liquid sealant by centrifugal force, to the outside walls of the body, forming a ring of liquid at the outside walls of the body.

Actually the Gilkes Series 'M' Gilmec self-priming CENTRIFUGAL pump is one of the most widely used self - priming pumps in the marine world today.(Mainly Commercial Applications how ever)from fire pumps/bilge pumps/cooling pumps etc.The Vane on the Gilkes pumps are quite unique in shape and do not look like a conventional CENTRIFUGAL pump impeller (but an impeller it is!)

The Series 'M' Gilmec pump was designed specifically for the marine market, and is not just another industrial pump adapted to meet a market where reliability is all important. These pumps are constructed in all bronze materials that has been proved over many years to be one of best to with-stand seawater erosion and corrosion.
Their shafting is made in stainless steel and runs in heavy-duty ball and roller bearings designed for a minimum life of 25,000 hours

Perhaps the" liquid ring" you are referring to, is the unique side channel primer chamber which aids in the quick self priming of the pump? as above true Liquid Ring pumps are normally used for Vacuum applications.

Cheers Steve
CaptSteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote