What size sanitation hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
I'm installing a new Fresh water Raritan Elegance head. The install manual says to use 1" or 1.5" discharge hose . The fitting that came on the head is 1.5" then reduced to 1" so you can use either size line.I've always used 1.5" sanitization hose, but I've read there are some advantages to using to 1" . Even if I use 1.5" , the waste still has to go thru the 1" reducer on the discharge.It's a 8' run , part of which is level and part slightly downhill . Any thoughts or suggestions? I've decided not to use PVC Pipe in favor or having just a connection at the head and holding tank.

It seems to me that it would take a lot more to accidentally plug an 1.5" pipe.

Ted

Easier to bend, less water to clear the line and the faster flow during discharge helps prevent hard buildup in the line.

My discharge hose is 1" from the Jabsco head to the Lectrasan, that hose never clogs up.
What can clog is the bowl, IMO, it is too small an opening. A modern toilet has a much larger opening. Right now my head is plugged, do people plunge these?

I have a red flat plunger will try it. Only other idea is suck it out with a wet vac.

It is electric, and If i run it again, it will overflow.

I have.been using.1 inch hose for years.
The advantage is flow rate to keep it clear.
If the.toilet macerates, a 1.inch dischage line.should.be no.issue...
My longest 1.inch run is just shy of.12 feet.

Headmistress will tell you just let the clog to sit. It will eventually turn to liquid. That's unless something went down that shouldn't be there.

My discharge hose is 1" from the Jabsco head to the Lectrasan, that hose never clogs up.
What can clog is the bowl, IMO, it is too small an opening. A modern toilet has a much larger opening. Right now my head is plugged, do people plunge these?

I have a red flat plunger will try it. Only other idea is suck it out with a wet vac.

If the vent is clogged, fix that first.

If the tank is not full... chill for a while. OTOH, if the tank is full, you need to fix that first. Pump out now, you'll thank yourself later.

Else it might be something about the discharge hose. We just had a hard clog -- to the point where I got a plumber's snake stuck in it -- and the solution was Sew Clean. Well, actually, what I had on hand was Barnacle Buster concentrate, but the company (Trac) said I could use that, dilute to 5:1 as per Sew Clean instructions. (Peggie says Raritan also private labels SC as CH, aka Cleans Hoses.)

Worked like a champ. The clog was likely uric acid crystals, aka struvites. Look for a recent thread about VacuFlush cleaning, where Peggie describes all that. She posted some pics of hose with scale build-up... probably what we were dealing with.

-Chris

I'm installing a new Fresh water Raritan Elegance head. The install manual says to use 1" or 1.5" discharge hose . The fitting that came on the head is 1.5" then reduced to 1" so you can use either size line.I've always used 1.5" sanitization hose, but I've read there are some advantages to using to 1" . Even if I use 1.5" , the waste still has to go thru the 1" reducer on the discharge.It's a 8' run , part of which is level and part slightly downhill . Any thoughts or suggestions? I've decided not to use PVC Pipe in favor or having just a connection at the head and holding tank.

FWIW, our toilet discharge is 1" and there's an adapter to make it fit 1½" hose. That said, our builder used 1" hose from the toilet (an upward loop and then down) to underneath the head sole, then a straight hose-to-hose coupler to increase the 1" hose to 1½" hose.

-Chris

A marine head looks like a household head from the outside but it is not on the inside. Don't try to plunge it.

As for the OP, if the instructions say 1" is OK, you can use 1" if you like. You mention the discharge. Are you discharging directly overboard or into a holding tank? My (manual) head has a 1 1/2" hose from the head to the tank and from the tank to the macerator pump, but a 1" hose from the pump to the thru hull. At that point, the poop has been ground to a slurry.

Last edited:
I think the toilet is designed to work best with the 1" hose as less water is needed to clear the hose. They give you the option to use 1-1/2 because a lot of boats already have 1-1/2 installed. If you use 1-1/2 I think you're supposed to saw off the 1" end.

I recommend you call Raritan Ft. Lauderdale and talk to Mac McCoy. He's my go to guy there.

If the vent is clogged, fix that first.

If the tank is not full... chill for a while. OTOH, if the tank is full, you need to fix that first. Pump out now, you'll thank yourself later.

Else it might be something about the discharge hose. We just had a hard clog -- to the point where I got a plumber's snake stuck in it -- and the solution was Sew Clean. Well, actually, what I had on hand was Barnacle Buster concentrate, but the company (Trac) said I could use that, dilute to 5:1 as per Sew Clean instructions. (Peggie says Raritan also private labels SC as CH, aka Cleans Hoses.)

Worked like a champ. The clog was likely uric acid crystals, aka struvites. Look for a recent thread about VacuFlush cleaning, where Peggie describes all that. She posted some pics of hose with scale build-up... probably what we were dealing with.

-Chris

The stuff could not fit through the head's entry hole.
I have let it sit for a few days.
It is an Jabsco electric head with a macerator.
I can close the intake through hull and run it again and see if it goes down.

With this style head, a plunger I think will help, at least stir up and loosen the muck. I can also plug up my house toilets sometimes.

The new house toilets have large holes for the stuff to pass through with little water flow.

With this style head, a plunger I think will help, at least stir up and loosen the muck. I can also plug up my house toilets sometimes.

The new house toilets have large holes for the stuff to pass through with little water flow.

BTDT. Yes you are on the right track by closing the seawater intake. The joker valve clogs. Try both short jogs and long runs. Let it sit a while and repeat. WHEN it finally starts to pump down, open the seawater inlet.
I had 2 of these heads. I replaced the one furthest away from the holding tank with a manual Raritan PHC for diversity. The Jabsco works fine on the short run (5' from holding tank) if I make the flush one long, continuous flush. Sometimes some anxiety as level comes up before eventually going down.:eek:

I put 1.5" before I put this head in. this head has a 1" discharge. i'm not sure you could make the argument around clogging. i'd go with 1" in hindsight.

I used 1" for my Raritan Marine Elegance. Plenty good enough for the slurry that that device produces. I bought the sea-fresh switch-pump etc, but have never used the sea; I use the boat's potable water.

Interestingly, the 1" hose seems perfectly willing to pull the newly-refilled clean water from the bowl, after a flush - gravity! (I do not have a vented loop since the Elegance pumps to a holding tank and use a deck plate to pump-out.)

I used 1 1/2" on my previous boat's Raritan PH II. I used raw water for the flush and the salt that caked inside the hose broke loose and plugged the hose (after about 5 years). Not satisfactory!

Last edited:

Entry hole?

Yes, closing the intake should help. Once you get the bowl clear, that would help inject a solution like Sew Clean if the problem is that the discharge hose is clogged with scale.

(Ours, which had been working fine, apparently dried out while I had the system open for a few days doing other stuff, and that's what caused the scale or whatever to harden, serious clog. Before using the SC stuff, we apparently had just enough of a pathway through that water in the bowl would eventually siphon itself through the hose and into the holding tank.)

If you really have to do any take-it-apart service, you'll appreciate having pumped out/rinsed/repeated in advance.

Under normal circumstances, the macerator should be able to break up any solids... so that it's mostly a liquid going out through the discharge hose. If you have something in there that isn't turning to liquid or is otherwize blocking the macerator blade (wet wipe? etc.?), a plunger may or may not help dislodge that enough to capture it.

A plunger may be hard on the joker valve. Using it to "push" may be OK, but using it to "pull" may invert the joker valve permanently... Just a guess, though...

I was thinking of these threads, mis-remembering that they're actually two separate threads. In any case, see the especially the second thread, Peggie's post #26 which illustrates the clog:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s31/vacuflush-blowing-fuse-34104.html#post589682
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/muriatic-acid-clean-toilet-27621.html

-Chris

Last edited:
Iinstalled a Marine Elegance with a 1' inch discharge A year ago and used it every day for 6 months.

1" inch is fine.

Bill R.

Entry hole?

Yes, closing the intake should help. Once you get the bowl clear, that would help inject a solution like Sew Clean if the problem is that the discharge hose is clogged with scale.

(Ours, which had been working fine, apparently dried out while I had the system open for a few days doing other stuff, and that's what caused the scale or whatever to harden, serious clog. Before using the SC stuff, we apparently had just enough of a pathway through that water in the bowl would eventually siphon itself through the hose and into the holding tank.)

If you really have to do any take-it-apart service, you'll appreciate having pumped out/rinsed/repeated in advance.

Under normal circumstances, the macerator should be able to break up any solids... so that it's mostly a liquid going out through the discharge hose. If you have something in there that isn't turning to liquid or is otherwize blocking the macerator blade (wet wipe? etc.?), a plunger may or may not help dislodge that enough to capture it.

A plunger may be hard on the joker valve. Using it to "push" may be OK, but using it to "pull" may invert the joker valve permanently... Just a guess, though...

I was thinking of these threads, mis-remembering that they're actually two separate threads. In any case, see the especially the second thread, Peggie's post #26 which illustrates the clog:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s31/vacuflush-blowing-fuse-34104.html#post589682
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/muriatic-acid-clean-toilet-27621.html

-Chris

After sitting for days, it still would not clear the bowl.

Found out some toilet paper had enhanced the clog ability. Used a screw driver to poke and pulled out some then it went down.

I tried the rubber plunger, and it did not help, actually caused a bit of a mess onto the floor.

After sitting for days, it still would not clear the bowl.

Found out some toilet paper had enhanced the clog ability. Used a screw driver to poke and pulled out some then it went down.

I tried the rubber plunger, and it did not help, actually caused a bit of a mess onto the floor.

Think I'd try dipping the bowl, then seeing if you can get some Sew Clean into the lines. If it works, that might be the easiest alternative to removing lines and pounding out any scale build-up. If that's what the clog is. (If SC works, that would maybe reinforce the guess that your clog is about scale).

And all that also assumes you holding tank is empty and the vent is working...

-Chris

I would be concerned using a 1" hose only if the head was a salt water flush. Salt and other raw water junk easily plugged my old sailboat's lines and they wire either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2".

My fresh water flush Elegance uses a 4' length of 1" hose and connects to a 1 1/2" PVC no-stink pipe. Things have been just fine since I installed it some 4-5 years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom