View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #62
CDreamer

City: Houston
I have a lot of experience in many parts of Mexico and Central America from both coasts to San Miguel de Allende, Leon, etc. I'm reasonably conversational in Spanish.

We can all argue about the likelihood of experiencing specific violence at home or abroad. I'd say that realistically, if you're paying attention, you're still safe in most Mexican coastal towns...especially the touristy areas. Mexico City for sure. Same for St Louis or L.A....you stay out of the rough areas. (Duh.).

But most people would agree that post-El Chapa, things are less stable in Mexico and even Cabo is having problems with the cartels now. PV is - unfortunately - part of a turf war although that doesn't make it particularly dangerous for Americans. Getting caught in a firefight? Highly unlikely. Getting your boat broken into? More likely and far more likely on the Caribbean side. That's not necessarily drug related crime but it's a problem.

In terms of personal safety, the difference in the US vs Mexico (or China or Uruguay) is not so much about comparing violence statistics as it is about what happens if you do get into trouble.
For example, if you get robbed while visiting Detroit you can pretty easily get home, you will be treated fairly by the police, you can feel confident that you'll be ok.
If you're hurt, you will get treated and you are in your own country so there's minimal fear at that point.
In a foreign country its more problematic (read: scary). And the authorities are not always going to be supportive and helpful.
If you don't speak the language, all the more disconcerting.

I love Istanbul but I won't go because of terrorism threats. Same for much of Western Europe...why chance it? But Scotland? No problem. New Zealand? No worries.
That's generally true of Mexico....I've been twice recently (2016/17) and saw no violence, although the police presence was often palpable and it felt a little weird. Hummers with mounted weapons, body armor, etc. Believe me, much of Mexico NEEDS American tourism. They will do what they can to keep things safe. But the cartels are violent and unpredictable and anything could happen. They aren't targeting tourists, but even in St. Louis you don't have them to worry about.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote