Can someone help Identify this OLD girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NathanS

Hi,

Looking at buying this old Girl as a live abroad in the Marina. Only question is What is it? Have had insurance companies ask and no doubt I will have to survey.
The only info I have is 40FT 1964 which seems a bit young and has a single 120HP ford lees Turbo Diesel. I do have a HIN but turns no results. The Manufactures code is ADF which seems like an Defever.????

Im lost....

Any help?

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 254
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
MIC Company Address City State
ADF DE FEVER MARINE 2740 SHELTER ISLAND DRIVE SAN DIEGO CA

Manufacturers Identification

Do you have the complete HIN # This would reveal model, year Prod # and year etc.

Last edited:
i have been on DeFever's first yacht build. Unmistakable in its design. The boat pictured is not of same type. The DeFever Club website may be of help.

Where do you guess build occurred?

Hull number is AUADF000036QT6

I really have no idea of where built - Been in Australia for years though

Regards

HIN numbers were not required nor used prior to 1972,

The first two letters show country
The next three the builder (ADF) is defever
The next five is the serial number
The next letter is the month
The next two figure's is the manufacture year
The last is the model year

Cheers Steve

In actual fact the number you posted seems to be an invalid HIN number(AU-ADF 0000 36QT6) although it has the correct number of digits (14)

A correct one with country code should format like this(Current HIN format - AU-TRX 48119 H7 65)

Pre 1984 -Like this Format 1 – no country prefix - ABC 12345 1278
Aft 1984 - like this Format 2 – no country prefix - ABC 12345 M78D

Your number seems not to match any of the above formats

Cheers Steve

Looks like a former commercial fishing boat. The sloped stern is for a heavy following sea, to lift the boat and pass under. Common design in old schooners.

Nathan - your HIN seems to be in the format of one issued by an authority not a manufacturer. See at https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/10939/MR_607_Protect_your_Boat_from_Thieves.pdf

The ADF is the code of the issuing authority (not the manufacturer) and the QT is a code for the boat code agent. I don't have a list of authority codes (I did once determine that WWA in Australia indicated Water Ways Authority). You're best bet will be to contact a registered boat code agent and they will decode for you.

Hull dos'nt look fishboat at all to me.
I think this boat was a sailboat.

Hull dos'nt look fishboat at all to me.
I think this boat was a sailboat.
Possibly with a transom hung rudder.
I don`t see the De Fever connection, and I suspect it is quite old. Too beamy to be Herreshoff. Plenty of wooden boats were one off builds, or close to it. Unless you find something telling you where it was built it will be hard tracing its origins.
Maybe a Letter to the Editor of "Afloat " Magazine, with a pic, might yield results.

Does look like a sailboat hull along the lines of an Easterly. But deck up is more like a motor launch. Wonder what the keel looks like?

Hi NathanS was just wondering if you found out any more information about this old girl? I’m the current owner and just joined this forum and saw your pics. I have little to no past on her and yes the hull identification number was issued by qld transport when I registered her as I had the hull fully rebuilt and fibreglassed. Let me know how you go mate cheers my number is 0450636022 for a chat

Benny you may want to start a new thread and best of luck with your new to you boat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom