View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #18
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
CAT 4's or 5's are not 100 year storms. Perhaps once a generation. I totally support and endorse the codes in effect for Key West, for Dade County and for Broward County. The extent of damage is many homes built before Andrew and before the codes. Another issue is that some areas impacted by this storm elected not to go to increased code requirements.

A 150 mph home isn't built that way just to handle CAT 5's. That's it's upper limit and how well it does that in practice we may never know but it will then handle storms such as the one we just had. Incidentally the requirements are 160 mph for the Keys, 150 mph for Miami and 140 mph for Broward, although most just go on with the Miami/Dade code of 150 due to insurers.

As to renovations, I know many who have strengthened their homes against hurricanes by changing windows and doors and by getting their next roof at 150 mph protection. In the Keys there are a lot of wood homes just as in South Texas. They aren't allowed by current code in our area, with concrete and steel being the requirement.

Your attitudes on insurance are well known and consistent. However, they're not a practice that will work well for the average person.

I do agree with your comments on elevation. Flood plains and required elevations have been well mapped recently and homes built should have no living quarters in the 100 year flood plane. It's really such a simple change. Typically it only requires 2 or 3' more elevation than homes have had although in some places it could be 10' or more. Regardless, it's a law in effect in other beach areas. This wouldn't solve the issue of roads under water but would make homes safe against surge and flash floods.

I take no consolation that the majority of TF members didn't have damage. 25% of the homes in Key West were destroyed. Estimates as to those with damage range from 60-90%. I can't feel good about not having damage when my neighbors to the south have so much.
Geeze,

Just put a big post out and it deleted it cuz I was too slow...... so I'm posting the highlights.

First, I find nothing wrong with the new Miami Dade Standards for new construction. While it adds some cost, it's not astronomical.

However, with remodeling, the costs ARE astronomical... depending on the county and the inspector you get. I'd love to improve several homes, but the cost is staggering if I get a permit... not double but 4x, and it just is not affordable. I've tried. So I do a few with "midnight" construction and some I just don't do. There are a few things that one can do like windows, but MUCH more cost effective to just cover with plywood. Now, the roof is another story.

Second, the St Pete area has not has a Cat 4 or 5 in well over 100 years, even the 1920s one. So the risk here is probably lower that Miami.

Third, as for the damage, sure, we've had damage, but it's the VAST minority that has damage in these storms. As for our St. Pete area, with the some odd 100 house I've had and my buddy's 200 rentals homes, over the years the damage has been very low... not worth insuring. Sure, we've lost a few with trees, etc. but the bulk of them the damage is minor, as has been with Irma.

Forth, MOST homes do not meet Miami Dade standard... NONE of mine or my buddies do. It's just NOT cost effective.

Fifth, WE DO hurt for our friends that have suffered worse than we have, and that's why we help out, like YOU HAVE, and thanks to you for going to TX to help. We have our "airlift mission" that organized small planes to take supplies to areas hit hard. And while we can't take tons of stuff, we can dispatch FAST and get the job done. I can haul 1000# to Key West in 1:20 which works, and helps out a bit. We can also donate to several organizations that help.

And last, we just can't rebuild all of Florida.... ain't gonna happen....