immigration check in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jftr88

Hello

One of my buddies is working on buying a 40 footer for crusing around the united states , alaska . He asked us if we knew if american citizens have to do the same check in as international travels/sailers at the marinas they stop at ?

I was in the coast guard and u did not need anything but military id. Anyone know where to look for this info , got me wondering now.

thanks in advance for any help

Hello

One of my buddies is working on buying a 40 footer for crusing around the united states , alaska . He asked us if we knew if american citizens have to do the same check in as international travels/sailers at the marinas they stop at ?

I was in the coast guard and u did not need anything but military id. Anyone know where to look for this info , got me wondering now.

Welcome JFTR88.

If you do not leave the U.S and go to another country you do not have to check in. If you do leave the U.S. and stop at another country you do have to check in at the U.S. port once you return. A passport will be needed.

There is a system in place where you can call in to customs, so you do not have to go in person. It is all on the net, just have your friend look up all the regs.

Cheers.

H.

Last edited:
Yup, it's so, both to enter Canada and return to the United States.

I would suggest to enroll with Nexus program as going back and forth between us and Canada is greatly simplified. A simple vhf or cell phone call will suffice.
L

With the Caribbean getting hit so hard I am considering the PNW as a cruising ground. I dont suppose the drivers license card thing would work, would it?

Thanks Lou, I suppose what I am thinking of is Nexus.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-boats-private-flyers/pleasure-boat-overview

Exactly what is a hovering vessel??

Pleasure Boat Reporting Requirements

Pursuant to 19 CFR 4.2, operators of small pleasure vessels, arriving in the United States from a foreign port or place to include any vessel which has visited a hovering vessel or received merchandise outside the territorial sea, are required to report their arrival to CBP immediately (see 19 U.S.C. 1433).

Last edited:
With the Caribbean getting hit so hard I am considering the PNW as a cruising ground. I dont suppose the drivers license card thing would work, would it?

Nope. But I think there is such a thing as an enhanced drives license. But it seems so much simpler to just get a passport and be done with it. And as suggested, if you will be back and forth frequently, signing up for NEXUS is well worth while.

For Canada you want a US passport. It's not always a real friendly Customs experience even by car. I went from Detroit to Windsor on the bridge in a Hertz rental car. They spent 45 minutes searching it. When it was over I asked the customs lady, "Geez...I thought this would be easy!" She looked at me and said, "Sir! This is an international border crossing point...not a drive-thru at Mc Donald's!" Point taken.

Also - and this is probably an unlikely situation - but just know that Canada is VERY strict about any DUI convictions in the US. (I don't have one but I was present when a business associate got turned back at Canadian Customs for a misdemeanor conviction 3 years earlier. It was a mess. Totally embarrassing for him and caused a lot of headaches for me.

A "hovering vessel" is one which is hanging offshore and there is reason to believe it may be engaged in illegal activity such as bringing goods in via smaller boats. So the smaller boats that visit it are required to go through check-in.

It would not be paranoid to assume that you are being watched on radar when you are near the coasts of Canada or the US. I was on a charter boat that stopped to fish in the GoM - in State waters. Then we went to Intl waters. Different fish limits. Coming back in 6 hrs later a big Texas Fish &Game boat pulled us over. Had us on radar earlier - saw us stop to fish both times and fined the owner about $5000 for the fish we had on board. He got away with a warning later but I haven't forgotten that.

Nope. But I think there is such a thing as an enhanced drives license. But it seems so much simpler to just get a passport and be done with it. And as suggested, if you will be back and forth frequently, signing up for NEXUS is well worth while.

For 50$ for 5 years nexus is my best investment ever. Either when we leave Canada to transit US or when we are back to Canada, by air, car or boat, it is just so much enjoyable to only spend 10 minutes for formalities. Last time we were travelling earlier this year, when back in Canada, in 20 Minutes from landing we were in a cab back to home!

(I am not working for customs lol)

L

Hello

For TRUE international travel by small vessel you normally require the following:

1) It pays to carry all original boat documents.
2) Boat Registration
It is an international requirement that all vessels (including trailed sail boats) outside their home waters are properly registered. Many countries have a simpler (and cheaper) option to register a boat other than the more involved commercial register.
In the United States yachts can either be registered with the state where the owner lives, or if ownership can be traced to the original owner, the vessel can be documented with the Coast Guard. The latter is generally preferable if possible when cruising abroad.
3) Insurance Certificate
Many countries and some marinas insist on a minimum level of third party insurance (be sure to carry the original document). Also there may be an additional requirement such as a translation or a reciprocal arrangement with a local insurance company.
4) Radio Licence
A radio operator’s licence, whether for VHF, HF or amateur radio, is required in most countries, although this is rarely checked. Some cruising yachts carry an amateur radio, most of their operators being properly licensed to operate a maritime mobile station. However, in some countries such stations can only be used legally if the operator is in possession of a reciprocal licence issued by the country concerned. In most places this is a simple formality and costs a small fee. In a few countries there are strict restrictions on the use of any radio equipment while in port, while in others, such as Thailand and New Zealand, the use of portable marine VHF radios on land is forbidden.
5) VAT Paid Certificate

If cruising in Europe with an EU registered boat, then a certificate showing that VAT has been paid will be expected. In the case of an older boat, then endeavor to obtain a Customs declaration that 'VAT is deemed to have been paid', before leaving your home. Without it, a Customs official can insist that VAT is paid on the current value of the boat at the rate applicable in the country being visited.
6)Clearance or Exit Document

This is the document which is (or should be) issued to show that a boat has left a previously visited country legally. It is often called a 'zarpe'. It will be expected at your next port of call. Note that some countries do not issue exit zarpes as a matter of routine (e.g. USA) so some planning will be required if your destination country will not permit entry without one.

Other Documents

As well as the above, some countries may also want to see the ship's logbook (this can be used as a legal document) and a list of electronic or other valuable items on board.

Boat Stamp

A ship’s stamp is greatly appreciated in many countries where, for some strange reason, a rubber stamp has a certain authority. The stamp should show the name of the boat, registration number and your flag state.

Cheers Steve

For Canada you want a US passport. It's not always a real friendly Customs experience even by car. I went from Detroit to Windsor on the bridge in a Hertz rental car. They spent 45 minutes searching it. When it was over I asked the customs lady, "Geez...I thought this would be easy!" She looked at me and said, "Sir! This is an international border crossing point...not a drive-thru at Mc Donald's!" Point taken.

This sounds like a trip through the border station where they train the new agents... I was going up through Minot headed that way and the locals told me the "around" route. I was certain I was lost, then saw a little station in the middle of nowhere with an agent in it, he just waved me through...

My last trip up through Pender Island I cleared into Canada with a phone call, no inspection. Still needed my passport number, and the US Customs guy wanted to see it when I cleared back into the US in Ketchikan.

Yep, can confirm the Canadian attitude to DUI. The son of friends of mine was thrown out of the country for a DUI infringement. He was banned for entering the country for two years and banned from applying for a working visa working for five years, if my memory serves.

Yep, can confirm the Canadian attitude to DUI. The son of friends of mine was thrown out of the country for a DUI infringement. He was banned for entering the country for two years and banned from applying for a working visa working for five years, if my memory serves.

The reversal is also true. US entry is refused to Canadian convicted of DUI.

L

Re: DUI's and Canada
We researched it again a few years back as we were going to be attending a trade show, and I believe they go back 5 years from the end of any probationary period here in the States. But from looking online, they'll see it in the records when the run a passport, even further back. Didn't seem to matter if it was a misdemeanor or a felony (his was a misdemeanor).

There are some options. Apparently there's an application that can be filed (plus $) to allow people into Canada sooner. And I think there's a way to get a one-time work-related entry. Don't hold me to all this.
But as I recall it was a ton of paperwork either way. I'm sure an immigration atty would be easier, but pricey.

When we got stopped at the border it was at the Toronto airport - he wasn't planning to drive - but that didn't matter. So I went ahead and he had to fly home. It was pretty frustrating.

I don't know if he ever got it cleared up. Would be over 5 years now but we no longer work together, otherwise I could ask.

I suppose it's possible that Canada has relaxed the rules, but they take DUI more seriously there. I think a first offense is significant jail time.

One of the Canadians on TF would know more.

So I went ahead and he had to fly home. It was pretty frustrating.
A lot of people don't realize how embarrassing it can be when your past catches up to you.

Had a similar experience to yours some years back. Work trip to France, setting up a new system in the company office there. The guy I was with had done the stereotypical "backpacking through Europe" thing when he was in college. Problem was that he took an under-the-table job in Paris when he ran out of money. Got caught. Got told to leave.

Fast forward more than twenty years and here we are arriving at CDG airport as two successful, mature, American businessmen. He had forgotten all about the incident. The French had not. He was told to get on a plane and go home, because he was not welcome in France. OOPS! Boy did the boss have a few choice words for him when he showed up back at the office!

Issues from your past need to be dealt with, or at least taken into account. Not just ignored. Some countries are pretty picky (as they are certainly entitled to be) about their rules and regulations.

I would add that Richard on Dauntless has broad personal experience with checking in and out of countries by boat (Europe, Caribbean, Panama, Mexico etc).
Some are easier than others.

Here's an example of the Mexico process that will give you a rough idea of what you need aboard:
http://www.bajainsider.com/article/mexico-temporary-import-permit-boats-tip.

My advice would be to have a waterproof file with originals and copies (in case a copy of vessel documents is ok). Keep all of this organized and safe aboard.

Also, Richard has a "ship's stamp" - an ink stamp with his vessel information on it. Looks super-official and the Customs, Port Captains, Immigration people really like it.

Nexus has made it easier in many places but if you don't speak the language, radio / phone calls can be problematic.

If it's a physical check-in, have your Q flag flying, and have the country's flag on board.
Checking out of a country is just as important as checking in. Don't just "leave"...

I have a friend who sailed across the Great Lakes into Canada, was met at the dock by a couple of agents who told hi he could sail back or he would be arrested and deported. His DUI was many years old...

He checked on how to have it removed, apparently they $ell something called "forgiveness" for his past sins, it sounds like the lawyers get mo$t of the money...

I have another friend who was passing through the border in a motorhome, it reeked of pot. They asked him for his pot and paraphernalia and then let him pass through. When I brought the Willard up through Canada I didn't want him on board, to avoid complications.

AK Doug wrote;
"My last trip up through Pender Island I cleared into Canada with a phone call, no inspection. Still needed my passport number, and the US Customs guy wanted to see it when I cleared back into the US in Ketchikan."

I also went through there the last time we went north and many times before including when it was manned by a person.
The Pender Is station is now closed I think. Anybody tried it lately?
What are the options now?

AK Doug wrote;
"My last trip up through Pender Island I cleared into Canada with a phone call, ...
The Pender Is station is now closed I think. Anybody tried it lately?
What are the options now?

If by Pender Island, you are referring to Poets Cove/Bedwell Harbor, it is still functional. Phone connected to somwhere, (Ottawa?) much of the time, but it was manned last time I passed in August. Strange, though: the agent directed me to use the phone first, then come talk to him.

AK Prof,
If Poets Cove is the same as Egeria Bay in Bedwell Harbour then yes.
So glad it's still functional. Almost always enter Canada via boat there.
Thanks

Just a personal opinion but I really think "the ugly American" reputation is still alive and well in many foreign countries - perhaps more at their government's levels than the general populace. So nobody's real interested in helping us out with official stuff.

However, in 2015 my buddy and I were going to the Detroit Auto Show. The hotels were all booked so we reserved a room in Windsor. During the "shakedown" at the border, one of the Mounties asked where we were staying in Windsor. It was formerly an Intercontinental but had recently changed names and our paperwork was in our rental car, which was being searched by a very earnest Belgian Malanois at that moment. She - the Mountie, not the dog - didn't recognize the new hotel name* so she said, "Hey Jimmy! Do you know a hotel around here called (whatever it was)?"
Jimmy comes out from the back, looks at us +50 year olds, grins and says, "What is it...some kinda hourly joint?"

I still think that was funny. It lightened the mood.

(Jimbo knew of the hotel's name change so we were released into the cold Windsor night.)

Unnecessary - but Perhaps More Entertaining Part of Story:

We get to the hotel - a nice enough high rise - and two very interesting but decidedly underdressed ... ermm..."ladies" get on the elevator. I said, "Aren't you ladies chilly?" (It was late January). They giggled and said, "No, we always come by cab so we're mostly inside." I thought that was a practical approach...travel light.

Anyhow, when they got off the elevator my friend looks at me and says, "What is this? Some kinda hourly joint?"

The auto show was first rate.

* Full disclosure: I don't really know if the dog recognized the hotel's name or not.

Regarding entering Canada with a DUI history, I think there is no set time that it goes away. I think if you don't get "forgiveness" you will be turned back. It's also not likely that a Canadian with a DUI history will be granted entry to the US. For us we have to wait 5 years and apply for a pardon, once that's granted we should be able to enter the US.

I hate to think that "the ugly American" reputation is relevant coming into Canada. Just remember that all border officials are individuals that have good days and bad days. Some are going to bust your balls and some are going to be reasonable, it's just life and I doubt that it's personal. Just have your documents in order and hope for the best.

I live in Windsor, I had a Tech coming in from Chicago with parts to rebuild one of my laser cutting machines. Machine was down a week, guys were laid off, no personal available in Ontario to service it.
We prearranged all the Tech's paper work so all he had to do was show up at the border, which he did. Unfortunately for us the overzealous CDA CUSTOMS agent dug a little deeper when he presented his passport.
Turns out he had an underage DUI when he was 18. He was 42 when this occurred.

There was no way they were letting him into the country. I had to drive over and get the product out of his truck and deliver it to my Michigan office while he returned to Chicago.

The machine was down another 10 days while we found another Tech.
They could care less about the the 15 guys that were laid off waiting for repairs to the machine.

so seattle to vancouver and back requires a passport? say it aint so....
Some states...NY is one and I believe WA is another issue enhanced driver licenses that are accepted boating or driving.
A couple other points I don't think were mentioned...

Nexis must be held by all aboard...not just owner

US also requires a decal (forget exact name) for vessels over 30 ft when returning to US...another way to collect a fee??

As others have said, Nexus makes it easy. With or without it, I have never had a issue crossing between the US and Canada. Everyone on board has to have a Nexus card or you have to stop and do the usual. Some people can't get Nexus cards, and some can't go into Canada. No criminal convictions including DUI.

When I've entered Canada, they ask if you have any firearms or fruit. When re-entering the USA, they just ask about fruit. Yes, a passport is needed for international travel.

Is the problem the old offence itself,or failing to disclose it when a form requires it? Often lying about something is regarded as worse than having done it.

Non-disclosure is evidence to deceive. Initial disclosure is evidence of ignorance of the law.

This is an ad by an immigration attorney. There may be parts of it that are over blown, but the description of the ways to get forgiveness or get into Canada are well-written. From what understand from other sources, it's almost impossible to "Do it Yourself". Just too complicated.

http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com

Back
Top Bottom