San Juan Islands Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helmsman31

We have just completed our first cruise throughout the San Juan Islands in our new Helmsman 31 Trawler. The beauty and serenity of the Islands is unmatched. Our moorages in Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor were delightful. And, our Helmsman 31 lived up to every expectation we had for performance and comfort.

The Helmsman 31 performs and feels like a much larger vessel due to its classic "Camano" hull and superb interior design. The 270-hp Hyundai diesel performed flawlessly and was very efficient. Our cruising speed was 7.5 to 8.5 knots for most of the cruise. Needless to say, we will be cruising the San Juan Islands again sometime soon. Now that we have experienced the performance and comfort of the Helmsman over a multi-day cruise, we are aiming for longer cruises to the North with a goal of visiting Bella Bella next summer.

Sounds wonderful!

Glad you had such a good time. Lots to explore and it sounds like your H31 is going to work out great for you.

Can't belive you say "the beauty and serenity of the islands is unmatched".
I think it's infested with people and boats. A human zoo.

Wondering what you'll say when you've gone further north. You're not going to have words to express yourself.

Glad you had an enjoyable and memorable trip!

Wondering what you'll say when you've gone further north. You're not going to have words to express yourself.

Don't mind the irascible yet cuddly, Eric :D

Welcome aboard from BC's north coast :thumb:

Good thing you're not in the NE! I wonder how you would describe Newport, Cape Cod and the Boston Harbor! ! Lol

South of Heaven,
You guessed it.
Too many people.

Thanks Murray,
You know how to mix words and thoughts.
Yup I'd sure love to be on BC's north coast.
Or even Cambell River to Port Hardy.
Where there are a fair amount of people.

Off season in the San Juans is pretty dang nice, peaceful and not crowded at all.

Smooth operator!!:thumb: Old 'irascible' took it well:flowers:

Pretty darn quite in our harbors now. Met fine travelers again this year and do so every year. It is a wonderful time to welcome and visit with new and past visitors.
It would be nice if Eric were to made one more trip North, I'd meet him at Harley Bay if you would come down. Two days to Rupert and two more to Harley. Be a hoot of a trip.

Al-Ketchikan

Thanks all,
I really don't know if I'm "easily angered" (I looked it up). Blunt, opinionated, argumentive, old fashioned ect but I don't consider myself angry.

Bob I agree the Islands are very nice in the winter. See you there.

Al,
Yup fall comes on fast in SE. We turned our pellet stove on for 30 minutes this morning. Got up to near 80 in the afternoon though .. as predicted.
Come back up north? Shearwater is much more likely. I love the area south of Greenville Channel and north of Cape Caution. Can't even pull anchor now ... in a sling. Rotater cuff.

Photo of new Helmsman 31

A number of posts in response to our "San Juan Adventure" post requested a photo of our new Helmsman 31. Here is a recent photo taken off the East side of Bainbridge Island where we have moorage in the newly rebuilt Eagle Harbor Marina.

Attachments

• Helmsman31 (1).jpg
    Helmsman31 (1).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 91
Beautiful boat.
We were down there a few months ago.
Looks like you're loaded for Alaska.
Love those pilot house windows.
She's not a skimmer in this pic. Is the Helmsman heavier than the Camano?

Without looking it up I would guess the Helmsman is twice the weight of the Camano.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom