Cardude in Harvey bullseye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, these are the tanker surfers I was thinking about that Baker might know.

https://youtu.be/ULT2UoVlxoE

Yep...I know those dudes. We are pretty much on the cutting edge of tanker surfing! I have done it numerous times and my record is 21 minutes!!!...at about 13 knots.

Well, the latest EU model doesn't look too good for my boat. I'm the white dot. My question is, why does the wind velocity show so low? I'm thinking I can handle this wind, but maybe it's not right.
IMG_0940.JPG

Well, the latest EU model doesn't look too good for my boat. I'm the white dot. My question is, why does the wind velocity show so low? I'm thinking I can handle this wind, but maybe it's not right.
View attachment 68369

It is and isn't right. By the time it reaches that area it will probably be down to a CAT 3. Could be less. The maximum wind is a small area, but a lot of chance for variation in the path by the time it reaches your boat. You appear to have the Euro model. Switch to GFS and you'll see it to the east of you. Switch to NAM and it's offshore. There's still a sizable chance that by the time it gets to you, it won't even be in the cone they're showing now. Can't tell you if your boat will be ok in the wind or not. I'd say there's a good chance it will and a chance it won't. I did hear an update on the surge and lake level. They believe that they might have a flood stage but won't have a levee break or anything like that. At the same time as your shot, the GFS shows the eye just west of Port St. Lucie but shows 74 knot winds well off shore and all the stronger winds offshore. It shows the worst conditions well to the east of your boat.

The range of error before it reaches your boat is at least 150 miles. In fact, I heard one meteorologist state there was only a 2/3 probability by Monday that the eye would even be in the cone being shown.

Right now we know there's a very strong hurricane highly likely to hit Florida. Beyond that it's all modeling and projection and scientific but not a precise science.

"Beyond that it's all modeling and projection and scientific but not a precise science."

Yet the global warm bunch are certain that in 2085 the water depth in Miami will be .08 inches higher.

View attachment 68369

If you look now you'll unfortunately see worse winds up to 75 knots due to the path moving west.

I saw the way he had it tied. It should hold.

I'm tied pretty well, I think. I guess.

Yeah concerning the two hurricane experience, I'm feeling pretty damn stupid right about now. I moved the boat from Stuart to this more protected hurricane hole a couple of weeks ago, and then rushed home to prep for Harvey. I'm pretty much done with Harvey other than waiting on the roofers, and now I have to go back to FL to asses the damage from Irma.

Boating is great fun!

You're not alone Cardude. We're supposed to be boating in TN but went to TX, then NC for a night, and then home. And worse, a young lady who lived in Rockport and had her house destroyed flew out with us and is now here in Fort Lauderdale. Fortunately she's in good spirits, says she has experience now. Harvey was not her reason for wanting to leave Texas.

You're not alone Cardude. We're supposed to be boating in TN but went to TX, then NC for a night, and then home.

Where did you move your Florida boat(s)?

-Chris

"Where did you move your Florida boat(s)?"

He is tied up at my place in Ortona , hoping that no house debris will land on his boat.

The boats are probably the safest place in the storm as the canal is 8-10ft below land level.

Onboard is where I would be , if it does blow 150mph.

Fred,

Looks like the forecasted track shifted west a bit overnight, so at least the eye isn't going right over your house, possibly.

Did you ever hear from your sailor friend on the jib?

Are the other folks with boats at the dock still planning on riding it out on their boats?

Where did you move your Florida boat(s)?

-Chris

Didn't move them. Sitting right where they always are. Well secured.

While on television they keep talking surge, the official maps show no surge at all for our area now. They're live from a Miami marina on television talking surge but at that location the forecast doesn't predict any.

Now the west coast is far different. Some up to 12'.

Our max winds forecast now only 84 mph. Obviously can change.

Finally got back down to Rockport where I kept the boat for the past couple of years. Man, it's really bad. The town really is a disaster. I took a few pics of the marina but not of the town because it was just too depressing.

IMG_1011.jpgIMG_1012.jpg
IMG_1014.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg
IMG_1017.jpg
IMG_1018.jpg
IMG_1016.jpg
IMG_1019.jpg
IMG_1020.jpg

Finally got back down to Rockport where I kept the boat for the past couple of years. Man, it's really bad. The town really is a disaster. I took a few pics of the marina but not of the town because it was just too depressing. ]

That really is depressing. Rockport has been one of our favorite stops on the way to Corpus. The loss is almost overwhelming.

Wifey B: Boat wise it was sad to see all those people thought would be safe on land. They got it far worse than the ones in the water. It was depressing. You realize how sad when you see schools plan now is to try to start reopening around October 9. There's no normalcy there now. Many people have no income, no house, no anything. I imagine the keys and SW Florida as bad except structures. :cry:

Cardude, what is the mood of the people there now? I felt there was still a lot of denial and really worried when it sets in.

I've only talked to friends who have property there-- they are all comfortable financially, but they all realize Rockport may never be the same town it was. They worry about all the low income folks who don't have the money to move, or insurance to rebuild. They worry that most of the restaurants and cool boutique shops will not make it, because there will be very little tourism for awhile, and all those low income employees who worked at the restaurants and shops won't have a job.

The destruction is so bad, and Rockport is not a big town with huge resources, so it's going to be a major struggle to get things back to "normal" IMO.

Wifey B: We talk about getting to safe locations and physical safety. Now, I worry about mental well being. I feel so for all the people in Texas, FL, and the Caribbean. We're going to see a lot of PTSD that never gets diagnosed or treated. Your house, your boat, your car, your clothes, your treasured possession, your memories....gone. I wonder how unemployment claims are going to be processed with so many people impacted and difficulty reaching employers. There are thousands and thousands who don't even know what the condition of their home is. Business owners first don't know what is left but then how to rebuild or even if they want to. :eek:

For those individuals and businesses that rebuild, how will they live with their fear of next time.

It's nice to see utility trucks everywhere, sometimes many on the same street. I don't know how they're coordinating 30,000 people or so. Broward and West Palm supposed to be restored by the end of the weekend and Dade by the end of next week. I don't know about the west coast. :confused:

A lot of people suffering. If you know or see people suffering just take the extra time to at least talk and listen. Sometimes that's all you can do.

Cardude moved his boat for safety and was followed, must be developing a complex by now. But he's much better off than many of his neighbors.

I talked to one young single mother today who went to Orlando, then to Jacksonville, then to Atlanta and she's so ready to return and regretting that she evacuated. She's going to start back tomorrow but no idea how long it will take, no idea what she'll do for fuel and lodging along the way. She was in tears just talking about how scared she was for her little girl. We had two people others talked to who moved north (one Orlando, one Jacksonville) and their car was flooded so trying to figure out how to get back. We helped them but there must be hundreds, maybe thousands in that situation. We don't even know how to measure the human toll of any of these recent storms. :cry:

I pull myself back together each time the tears want to flow by my deep belief in people. People here, there, everywhere. People are battlers, survivors, friends of others. I think we'll see a lot of the worst in scams and robbery but we'll see the best over and over and the best will win. I'm anxious to see all that, feel the energy of a rebirth, see renewed hope, see smiles in spite of it all. Even today I saw some of that, saw some in Texas. Determination, drive, persistence. Dreams they intend to fulfill in spite of this. That all gives me hope and hope is what keeps me going. :)

Here are some pics of my friend's house in Holiday Beach just north of Rockport.

Before pic
IMG_1027.jpg
After Harvey (they are fun people!)
IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1030.jpg

Some pics of the subdivision:
IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Cardude....aren't we fortunate that neither of us were there. Me only because of damage caused by trucker last Oct still being repaired here in a Clear Lake. We were supposed to be in 40' covered slip at Cove Harbor. Guess having the slowest stainless rail repair guy in the world was my good luck.

Last edited:
Cardude....aren't we fortunate that neither of us were there. Me only because of damage caused by trucker last Oct still being repaired here in a Clear Lake. We were supposed to be in 40' covered slip at Cove Harbor. Guess having the slowest stainless rail repair guy in the world was my good luck.

Ha! Yes!

The amazing thing is, after looking at the damage at the marina, is that TF member KneeDeep's boat Betsy Lee made it through the ordeal just fine docked in one of the 40' covered slips just down from my old slip on the end of E dock.

I guess the marina will finally have to address the rusted beam problem we kept complaining about-- the overhead steel beams were rusting and dropping rust on the boats.

Any idea when the marina will rebuild? Timetable? My plan was to come back to Rockport this year after hurricane season, but now I don't know where to dock. Maybe the municipal marina.

They are planning to rebuild the covered slips and drystack at Cove Harbor. I spoke to Jay and he indicated that their focus will be on repairing the wet slips first (yea- new roofs!!).

I think they realize that their income for the next year will only be from the wet slips as they are going to have to knock the drystack down to the concrete and completely rebuild. They have a lot of open slips that will be in demand as so many marinas and boat storage locations rebuild.

Hey Jude - let me know us know you still decide to come our way!!

Has anyone heard from Larry and Lenna from Hobo? I think he was in Jacksonville.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom