Easy Potluck Dish(es)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montenido

Vessel Name
Ansedonia
Vessel Make
Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi folks,
I'm getting ready to join a group at Catalina this weekend, and need some ideas for a simple potluck dish to bring. I am a good cook, but would like to hear what you all enjoy bringing to these gatherings.

Thanks in advance, Bill

Hi folks,
I'm getting ready to join a group at Catalina this weekend, and need some ideas for a simple potluck dish to bring. I am a good cook, but would like to hear what you all enjoy bringing to these gatherings.

Thanks in advance, Bill

My wife brings pasta salad.

If you are any sort of cook at all, use your imagination. You can do anything from opening a couple cans of three bean salad into a bowl to making home made lasagna.

Baked beans are often seen but they are usually just reheated from cans.

Hopefully, someone will organize things enough that you don't end up with ten varieties of pasta salad and nothing else. ;)

Gazspacho. Noone else will have it, it's easy to make with your margherita-maker(you do have a blender, right?!?). refreshing on a hot summer day. Done

Pea Salad
2 Cans Margaret Holmes White Acre Peas, drained and rinsed

2 Cans Margaret Holmes Seasoned Field Peas & Snaps, drained and rinsed

One chopped medium sweet onion

One chopped small green bell pepper

¼ th cucumber peeled and chopped

1 tablespoon dried parsley

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

¼ teaspoon black pepper or more

½ teaspoon salt or more

Mix all and refrigerate for a few hours before serving

Tacos are easy and both 'travel' well and 'sit' well. We do soft tacos. They both seem to be more popular and are actually a bit easier than dealing with pkgs of brittle fried corn shells. It's a 1-pan meal. The rest of the prep is fast and easy.

Ground beef, taco seasoning packet. tortilla shells, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream and salsa.

Taco meat can even be re-heated in a microwave or a pan.

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions. I ended up making pasta salad, and there were 3 other pasta salads there! I will give the other recipes a go at the next raft up. :thumb:

Cheers, Bill

The Sicilian always makes this recipe for raft-ups and pot lucks...
Mexican Fudge
1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese with Jalapeno peppers

1 lb. Sharp Cheddar cheese

1 can evaporated milk

2 eggs

3 tablespoons flour

Shred cheeses and lay in a greased 9" X 13" pan. Beat milk, eggs, and flour together, pour over cheeses. Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Cut into squares, serve hot or cold. They keep well in the freezer.
Buon Apetit!

I know we've missed your outing but among my favorite things to prepare on a boat are meals cooked in a crock pot. Most everyone brings cold food (salads, pasta salads, etc.) to a potluck meal.

The person who shows up with a nice, well seasoned, hot meal that's been cooked for several hours in a crock pot is going to go home empty because everything will have been eaten.

We always bring chili con queso. It's simple, one pound of Velveeta, cubed, three cans of Ro-Tel, drained. Heat in a small crock pot until the cheese melts, stirring frequently. Serve with chips. It's a Texas thing.

Back
Top Bottom