Allons-y!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FryQ

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rendezvous
Vessel Make
1976 37' Californian Aft Cabin
Shipmates, brothers, and sisters!
Thank you for adding me to your illustrious rolls...

I've just started my first deck log on M/V Rendezvous currently moored pierside in Sunroad Marina, San Diego. She is a 1976 Marshall Californian, 37ft fos'cl to stern, with two blue hearts (perkins 4.236) beating in the ER, and a slight list to stand.

A little about the Chief Engineer. I am a recovering A-Gang Submariner (hooyah!), now an overwhelmed Engineman First on the DDG1000, patiently waiting to receive my DD214 and see the last of haze grey!

Now, to the bad...
This is going to be one REALLY deep hole in the water!

Before anyone asks...

Attachments

• 20170909_143956.jpg
    20170909_143956.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20170909_143934.jpg
    20170909_143934.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20170909_143943.jpg
    20170909_143943.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 70
  • FB_IMG_1504977639537.jpg
    FB_IMG_1504977639537.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20170906_113315.jpg
    20170906_113315.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20170906_112421.jpg
    20170906_112421.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20170906_103334.jpg
    20170906_103334.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170906_104556.jpg
    20170906_104556.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20170906_104548.jpg
    20170906_104548.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20170906_103510.jpg
    20170906_103510.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 68
Welcome aboard! I think you may have a little issue with your propellers :)

L.

Welcome Mate.

I see a some work ahead of you Mate. However it is worth it!:thumb:

Cheers.

H.

Welcome aboard! I think you may have a little issue with your propellers :)

L.

Aye, aye, they do look a bit sick. I suspect they were what clattered over your subs hull, when you all heard that funny noise the last time you were out - in the sub, I mean... :D

But, hey, bent metal can be straightened. Sorry about the photos. For some reason, pics taken on an iPhone in the vertical mode don't seem to be liked by our pic handling software. We have all had that happen from time to time. :)

Welome to the forum, anyway...:flowers:

Welcome to the forum, We on 'Snow Mouse' wish you many happy hours and safe harbours.
The 4236 Perkins are cracker engines (I've used them for years, both driving pumps and blowers at work as well as my boat) and if you need any help the TF is always here for you.
You obviously have to fix the props and if you Google prop calculators there will never be a better time to check they are an exact match.
I use a 4 blade Equipoise and don't get sympathetic resonance, I couldn't get a 13 blade sub prop on :) .
I had the same problem on photo's, if you use photoshop, turn the photo, save it to pictures, then upload it and it should be OK.

Lol, lesson learned on the photos.

...since I'm still in the "WTH am I looking at?!" Mode of propeller shopping, I would happily take any advice on which to look at purchasing, in return I can keep you very well entertained with NSFW sea stories.

As far as the Perkins go, I've plenty of experience with large Fairbanks and Cats, even a Cummins or twelve... but never any Perkins toys. Looking forward to playing with them!

Welcome!! Good to have some additional SoCal representation. Last time I cruised by - DDG-1000 was still sitting at the repair garage just east of the bridge.

Welcome Aboard SHipmate!

Oh to be young and industrious and have a project! Best of luck and hopefully you'll have less "Haze Gray and Underway" and more time at the boatyard to fix her up!

Cheers, Crusty

I'm in SD, temporarily, resting up before heading south. Good luck with her!

Hi FryQ.
If you Google Victoria Propeller company (Vicprop) you will get some useful information and maybe a good price for refurbishing your props or new ones.

You will need the weight of the boat, hull shape, gearbox ratio, engine hp and the space between the tip of your prop, the intended speed and it will calculate the prop size, pitch and diameter for you.
Just my own view but I always carry a spare prop, greased and wrapped in A1 condition 'Just in case' and its pulled me out of a hole on a couple of occasions.
I hope this helps.

You Know what Irish_, I think spare props may be an amazing idea! But i would definitely need to use them as wall art while they are not being used...

Id be inclined to buy a prop with a bit of history for the wall art but keep your own spares greased and tucked away 'Just in case'.
We don't have a house so its a moot point with us.

Whoa!! Took my breath away when I looked at the pictures of your Cali LRC. I've only seen one 1976 37 Californian LRC with four cyl Perkins engines and it belonged to a friend of mine and his father in Port Orchard, Wa. So if it's not the same boat it's one of very few made in that configuration.

To start with most were powered with 6.354 n/a Perkins and they were only made between '76 and '77. It's essentially a 38' LRC minus the aft deck storage hatch which was added the following year and voila it became a 38'.

Does it have two or four fuel tanks?

If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Congratulations on your purchase
LB

Last edited:
Whoa!! Took my breath away when I looked at the pictures of your Cali LRC. I've only seen one 1976 37 Californian LRC with four cyl Perkins engines and it belonged to a friend of mine and his father in Port Orchard, Wa. So if it's not the same boat it's one of very few made in that configuration.

To start with most were powered with 6.354 n/a Perkins and they were only made between '76 and '77. It's essentially a 38' LRC minus the aft deck storage hatch which was added the following year and voila it became a 38'.

Does it have two or four fuel tanks?

If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Congratulations on your purchase
LB

It has two fuel tanks (with a HORRIBLY designed way of filling them, and no way of doing a proper sounding that i've been able to discover). It also has a Volvo Penta 2 cylinder generator (I cant prove its OE, cant prove its not...).

I've noticed you seem to be the Go2Guy for Cali's (I've been lurking for months now)...so I will happily accept your offer of help as needed.

It has two fuel tanks (with a HORRIBLY designed way of filling them, and no way of doing a proper sounding that i've been able to discover). It also has a Volvo Penta 2 cylinder generator (I cant prove its OE, cant prove its not...).

I've noticed you seem to be the Go2Guy for Cali's (I've been lurking for months now)...so I will happily accept your offer of help as needed.

My guess is the Volvo Genny was aftermarket. Onan 7.5 MDJE was the standard in 37's at that time. If you have an electric 3 burner Princess stove, then most likely the Volvo replaced the Onan.

From what I can see in your pics, you have the factory optional aluminum mast with hinged step, bow pulpit and railing around the top of the aft cabin. I would say the original owner ordered it with some options.

All the 38' and 42' owners on here have similar enough boats to help you. 37, 38 and 42' are all essentially the same boat, just stretched a little. Even 34' owners can help with some systems, engines, that were the same. It might be helpful for you to post directly on the Californian section, if you have Californian specific questions to get the most reads by Cali owners. Too many posts on here to read them all, so I often just scan sections that may interest me.

Would love to see some interior pics when you have a chance.

Yes, feel free to PM me any time.

Back
Top Bottom