Hurricane Irma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Possum, This Youngster just Visited My Porch

Sorry about Possum. Maybe this visitor tonight was a sign? Sorry for the pic quality. Didn't want to blind him trying for a better pic.

Attachments

• 20170911_Possum.jpg
    20170911_Possum.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 128
Crap, Parks...that sucks.

Sometimes the randomness of Nature and Life nudge us in new directions. Wish you a smooth transition to a new and exciting path, be it with Possum or some yet undiscovered gem.

It's more than a little unfair that someone who has helped the boating community out as much as Parks--plus being a genuinely nice guy to deal with--winds up with this end of the stick. Hope you're back at the helm soon, Parks

It's more than a little unfair that someone who has helped the boating community out as much as Parks--plus being a genuinely nice guy to deal with--winds up with this end of the stick. Hope you're back at the helm soon, Parks

That's what I was thinking. More evidence that the universe is entropic. [emoji15]

What a bummer Parks. So sad. Commiserations from her home State.

I lost my boat in Ike. Loved the boat, had put in a lot of sweat equity and it had a truly amazing history. I remember the feeling very well and I can only say I'm sorry for your loss.

Possum sank. I got over there this afternoon. Water was up to the pilot house windows. Already talked to a salvage guy who is a friend. I'm first on the list when he can move on the river. There appear to be hundreds of boats spider webbed into the river blocking it completely.

Awwwww....

Really sorry to hear, Parks. Take a deep breath, I guess...

-Chris

I couldn't agree more. Very Sad loss...

Parks, I'm sure the folks here will be thinking of you and getting you through this. And, the emotional part will be hard. It's not "only a boat", it's a conduit full of memories.

Parks so sorry to hear about the Possum.

As everyone is already aware, Irma was a record breaker in many areas. In particular, check out the last paragraph regarding the total energy developed..

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 96
Just got word Possum is taking on water. It's too dangerous to go to her now. She will probably sink at the dock. I have hull insurance. What a pain in the ass. How the hell is water getting in?

She had at least three functioning bilge pumps Thursday, one 750, one 3500 twelve volts, and one 1500 110 volt. Don't know if the power is on there or not. It's off at my house since six this morning. The batteries would be fully charged until the power goes off. Two 4D batteries would run the pumps a long time.

I was worried about debris in the bilge so I wet/dry vacuumed it Thursday. Maybe I missed something.

Possum sank. I got over there this afternoon. Water was up to the pilot house windows. Already talked to a salvage guy who is a friend. I'm first on the list when he can move on the river. There appear to be hundreds of boats spider webbed into the river blocking it completely.

Maybe it's time for me to buy an old man's boat, you know, like the rest of you have.��

Likely difficult to think about, Parks... and I know even asking this isn't great, right now..

But perhaps you could eventually put up a Possum Post-Mortem thread... that we all could maybe use as a learning aid for future hurricane preps?

Given your starting point seemed pretty sound, understanding what defeated your plan would maybe be very helpful for all of us...

How did that much water get in? How long could the batteries last? Was there something that made the pumps fail? Or made the float switches fail? What happens when the bilge pump discharges are underwater?

Stuff like that...

Hoping maybe your salvor can get her up quickly enough so that just drying out would bring her back to life nicely...

With respect, -Chris

-Chris

Last edited:
Pure speculation...

Our two aft deck scuppers are about three inches in diameter with metal grates over them and in heavy rains stuff can plug up the spaces in the metal grates. Ours have plugged (one at a time, thankfully) with everything from dog hair to little seeds washed out of mink poop.

With heavy enough rain and enough leaves and debris flying around they could both plug up swamping the aft deck section of the boat and quite possibly flow over the door sill. Once the power goes out it's only a matter of time until the batteries give up.

We had 7.5 feet of snow in two days a few years ago and the road to the marina was blocked by fallen trees for a couple days. Not knowing is heart wrenching in itself. Thirteen boats sank. Ours was luckily pointing the right way so the wind drifted snow onto the bow instead of the aft deck, but there was still enough weight to sink the boot stripe several inches under water.

There but for the grace of shear luck go I...

The lock is now a weir as it drains the higher level lagoon water. Interesting to see.

Attachments

• Weir.jpg
    Weir.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 92
My 58' Hatteras is floating, but missing swim platform, and aft spray rail. She is chewed up the entire port side. Took out the finger pier and tangoed with the boat next door afterwards. She should be repairable, but currently, she is not habitable. The marina, Dinner Key Marina in Miami, was pretty much destroyed. I don't know where we will ultimately go. I'm a liveaboard.

My 58' Hatteras is floating, but missing swim platform, and aft spray rail. She is chewed up the entire port side. Took out the finger pier and tangoed with the boat next door afterwards. She should be repairable, but currently, she is not habitable. The marina, Dinner Key Marina in Miami, was pretty much destroyed. I don't know where we will ultimately go. I'm a liveaboard.

Oh damn. So sorry to hear this, especially since you live aboard.

To all of you who suffered major or minor damage from Irma or Harvey, our hearts go out to all of you.

Parks, so sorry to hear about Possum. I hope you can salvage her and she will live again.

We just heard that Loons Nest came through unscathed. She's on the hard in St. Marys GA. Hooray!

Now we have to wait for FL to sort itself out a bit so we can head to the boat and start cruising. I would like to set out (by road from Toronto) by the end of this week and splash the boat next week, but I have a feeling that may be too optimistic.

David

The yard will likely be keen to launch anyone who wants to go. Yards from SC south are all going to be filled to overflowing with salvaged and damaged boats very soon.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Have you been able to even get through to your insurer? I know many haven't been able to. Is the boat operable as it is to the extent you could take it on it's on or are you going to need a tow even to get it to a yard?

Were all the marinas in that area of Biscayne Bay which is fairly open to the ocean torn up like Dinner Key? I know several were. We've never been that observant of the marinas there to see their type build and age and floating vs. fixed.

Mermaid

Sorry to hear of your damage. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Thanks for all the kind words. Losing Possum is hard. Possum made it through two maybe three hurricanes. One was a Cat 5. I guess it was her time.
Milton thanks for the Possum picture. I smile every time I see one of those silly critters.
Caredude, an old man's boat is one that won't do 15 knots or more.:D

Oh! I have an old man's boat! [emoji23]

At 28, ive got to be the youngest old man. (12 kts tops on a good day )

Sorry to hear about the boat losses.

I just got a new lease on life! At 27 knots, I must be youngster. If wishes were things .....

Isaac's Storm is a great book about the 1900 hurricane that hit Galveston. Some of the most interesting reading is about the state of meteorology in those days. Highly recommend.
I read it about ten years ago .:thumb::thumb:

I read 12 knots, 27 knots, am I the only one who is not in hurry? At 7 knots I always find the pleasure too short when at destination :)
I must be a very old minded young (middle young) man :D

L.

Mermaid. So sorry to hear about your vessel. You must've taken quite a hit over there. You've got one of the best of all boats to live aboard. Sure hope your Insurance company cooperates the way you need to bring her back 100%.

Maybe it's time for me to buy an old man's boat, you know, like the rest of you have.[emoji12]

So sorry HopCar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom