Hurricane Irma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We lost power 20 minutes ago. I am surprised we lasted that long given the winds and rain we are having which are still very nasty.

Sonas is getting a bit of a battering against the dock, and is bouncing against her lines, but is doing fine so far.

We have some water coming into the attic through two roof vent flashings but managing that through towels.

I can see the naval station from my back deck, the following is from the 5am NHC update:

The Mayport Naval Station near Jacksonville, Florida, recently
reported sustained winds of 68 mph (109 km/h) and a wind gust of 87
mph (141 km/h).

We lost power 20 minutes ago. I am surprised we lasted that long given the winds and rains we are having which are still very nasty.

Sonas is getting a bit of a battering against the dock, and is bouncing against her lines, but is doing fine so far.

We have some water coming into the attic through two roof vent flashings but managing that through towels.

I can see the naval station from my back deck, the following is from the 5am NHC update:

mph (141 km/h).

We lost power 20 minutes ago. I am surprised we lasted that long given the winds and rains we are having which are still very nasty.

mph (141 km/h).

Downtown St Augustine is totally flooded. I lost power for about 4 minutes and it came back on.NE Fl dodged a bullet on this one. Cat 1 by the time it rolled in. Still blowing here but slacking off.

Gusting to 49kt in savannah. Surge is +4FT above prediction but low tide so OK for now.

Just went to boat, power on bilges dry and ropes looking good. Now I'm soaked :)

Downtown St Augustine is totally flooded. I lost power for about 4 minutes and it came back on.NE Fl dodged a bullet on this one. Cat 1 by the time it rolled in. Still blowing here but slacking off.

How deep? I have friends who live in Hawaii who have their catamaran on the hard there. Totally fretting

If they were at St Augustine Marine or Oasis boat yard, they should be ok. still probably can't get to boatyard due to street flooding nearby.

Just saw the conditions in Jacksonville, Daytona, St. Augustine areas and hope it passes soon. Things are deceptive here this morning. People driving around, roads and streets passable, just no electricity for most, but this morning is so in contrast to what we've just experienced (well except for the storm forecasts we have). Then we see NE Florida and realize it's still wreaking havoc. Some areas ready to start cleanup while others just getting hit.

Hoping GA and SC are treated gently although see large power outages in the Savannah area.

The best in recovery to each of you. Hopefully your losses are manageable, but most of all hope you all make it through safe and well.

Each area now faces it's own challenges as does each person. May we all find the strength we need to persevere. Our curfew ends in an hour and we're getting ready to start, whatever that means with so much unknown at this point. The webcams of the beach are so in contrast of what just happened as are the shots of downtown Miami where the streets were flooded.

I hope no one in the Jacksonville or Savannah areas was lulled into a false security putting them at risk.

Best of luck to all.

Anyone have status on Janice and Seaeed?

Anyone have status on Janice and Seaeed?

Before the storm, she told me she was just going to nose up into some mangroves. Given the outcome of the storm and the lack of surge that we expected, she probably did pretty good with that strategy, maybe even better than a lot of us. I just sent her a text.

Janice is fine, but left Seaweed as reported above, in mangroves with spyder web of lines, but msn is she fuming! She was told she could get back to her boat right away, but she has to wait. Never heard her so angry.

Larry, when can you get back on Longboat Key?

Plantation Fla here, coming back to normal. Lots of small trees shedding branches, and a few big trees with east expose tipped over.
Only lost power for about 15 min around 6:30 Sun night.
This morning had a big convoy of out of state power trucks heading south pass by.
Gonna start my clean up soon.

I tried to get to Possum this morning but couldn't. Too many roads blocked by fallen trees and cops. I live south of US1 and Possum is north. The cops made it very difficult to cross.

Tomorrow should be better.

I seem to have Internet over my data plan but damn if I can make a phone call.
House is ok. Lost two Mango trees and several beautiful flowering trees. My wife is heart broken. One of the trees was a Lang Lang that smelled beautiful.

Key Largo Bayside at MM100 off the ICW between Marker 54 and 55, on the charts as Point Pleasant

:socool:

Attachments

• UKSC IRMA.jpg
    UKSC IRMA.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 108

mph (141 km/h).

Thought you were in the perfect hurricane hole but looking at videos of St. John's, concerned. Are things residing a little? I saw a couple of bridges had reopened but not the main one to the beach. Hope it's not still rising.

Last edited:
Thanks, Larry. Worried about her, even though I only know her vicariously through TF.

Re-entry for mere citizens always tends to be a hassle. My experience is that the main and obvious routes will have a checkpoint manned by a platoon's worth of cops and guard. At the same time, if you're willing to navigate back roads and work your way through, you can usually find a hole in the coverage. Once your in, usually no problem with cops other than "How the heck did you get here?" questions. ID and "That's my boat (house, momma's house, etc.) over there - checking on it" does the job.

My thoughts and good wishes with all of you in the zone. This has caused me to have one foot back in Katrina.

Thanks, Larry. Worried about her, even though I only know her vicariously through TF.

Well, the boat is her home and really far more than that. She's put so much into it and it's got her heart and soul invested. Of all the boats owned by members here, hers is the one I most hope is ok.

BandB

You mean after mine, right. Just kidding. We came try with no damage at all, boat is find.

I understand about Janice, I think we all admire and respect what she has done. Happy she is safe and I'm sure she can get to her boat shortly.

If they were at St Augustine Marine or Oasis boat yard, they should be ok. still probably can't get to boatyard due to street flooding nearby.

They are at the St Augustine Marina. They still haven't heard anything except that a couple mono hulls on the hard fell over. Theirs is a cat

Can a cat fall over? Sorry just trying to lighten the mood.

Don't know about cats but pine trees and cedar trees can. I am 700' closer to the waters edge right now. Irma was much worse in Charleston than Matthew. NOAA predicted a surge to 10' and it reached 9.92. Pretty darn close. Will be glad when the wind and water are both down. Paws Aboard is still riding out the storm here at home. Maybe another hour or two of heavy wind.

We just heard that Loons Nest came through unscathed. She's on the hard in St. Marys GA. Hooray!

Now we have to wait for FL to sort itself out a bit so we can head to the boat and start cruising. I would like to set out (by road from Toronto) by the end of this week and splash the boat next week, but I have a feeling that may be too optimistic.

David

Larry, when can you get back on Longboat Key?

Been waiting in line to get over the bridge for an hour. The say they'll let us in a 4 pm, except for the street I live on. I'll try to park on the highway and walked back into the community to see what's going on. Earlier I got a message from my neighbor that said Bucky was tethered and floating level, but surge is going on now. No info on house condition but our street apparently was hardest hit and Bucky is just behind the house. Still, tethered and level sounds better than tattered and listing.

Great news David. Sippy cups are ordered for Ft Pierce get together. ����

Can a cat fall over? Sorry just trying to lighten the mood.

Wifey B: 8 times.

Monohull sailboats seem to have had the poorest rates of survival. At most marinas in FLL, most boats came through fine but they're generally floating marinas with tall piles. Most in the canals around us are ok but a couple of sailboats flipped and one larger boat came lose and damaged a couple of others.

Wifey B: 8 times.

Monohull sailboats seem to have had the poorest rates of survival. At most marinas in FLL, most boats came through fine but they're generally floating marinas with tall piles. Most in the canals around us are ok but a couple of sailboats flipped and one larger boat came lose and damaged a couple of others.

Sailboats typically lack adequate cleats to moor in a slip even in good weather!

Wifey B: We drove through much of Broward and Palm Beach counties today and others we were in communication with covered the rest. Things really looked pretty good with just a few buildings with moderate damage and streets to be cleaned. :)

However, we were driving mostly on major roads and not deep into residential areas which I know had greater damage from trees. Shopping centers and such don't have many trees. Palm trees did well. Some others not as well. :ermm:

Miami for us tomorrow as we waited as they wished today. When we do go, we won't be much in areas they're doing recovery work.

We just sit in shock at how lucky we were and terrible sadness for others not as lucky.

A little lightness in the midst of the dark. Near Oakland Park traffic was nearly stopped but then we figured out that it was just the right lane. There was a quarter of a mile line to get into McDonald's.

Several were responders such as power crews, military, etc. That's one of the things that is critical for the workers in Key West is food and water. I heard the FPL guy say today their crew will need 50,000 meals a day. Those who were working in that McDonald's, rushed to get it open, were doing a huge favor for people. :)

I think each day we're a bit like roller coasters with ups and downs. You are happy when you see good but you know there's bad down the road. it was great to wake to winds reduced to around 20 mph, 30 mph gusts, but all that lost the minute we pulled up television and saw other areas.

The other frustration, no one's fault, just a frustration that's natural is communications. Just like sitting here worrying about Janice, we've got a long list of people we've tried unsuccessfully to contact. Most have called in or texted and we've been able to retrieve the messages but it makes you realize there are all these people that you don't know even where they are, what they've endured and we're only in the three counties that came through pretty well.

We're on the way back home now and tonight we'll do lighthearted fun stuff at home. No hurricane talk at home until morning.

A note of hope to others. They were able to start on power restoration in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach today. It's not a lot but they've restored some today. Perhaps a couple hundred thousand in all. That means when they can hit your area, they will start restoring. They're in the minute they can be. Amazing to think of 19.000 utility workers. At least to us it's good to see the number without go down some. It's now under 2 million for the three counties. Ok, that sounds horrible, but that was an accomplishment. :)

I know parts of the recovery will be like a three ring circus and a collection of clowns running things, but through it all there are a lot of dedicated individuals working on it and I'm very thankful for them.

Wifey B: Hubby just gave me the numbers. In the three counties, 527,000 electric restored so far. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom