Hurricane Irma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's pretty slick that your house and dock are protected by a lock. Or semi-protected maybe? Still-- I like it.

Well, let's put it this way.

On Wednesday Sonas was on the hard at the boat yard, and they were lifting their hurricane contracted boats. I asked them to launch her so that I could bring her home instead.

Hell yeah. And just the fact that it's behind your house is a huge plus. I'm going nuts worrying about mine 1000 miles away because I know I don't have enough fenders out, probably not tied well enough, worry about flying debris, etc.

So, I'm drinking rum.

We did fine. House on the river has no damage and my kid told me the boat is fine. He was able to snag a fender floating by and used it to protect the catamaran we rent dock space to. Winds starting to swing to the southwest and lessen. Boat is running in the gen and the kid is in AC watching TV and eating my food and booze. All is well.

Parks, I woukd guess your boat was tied up facing west and the driving rains forced water into you boat but now the winds are changing and you will take them on your bow so if the batteries were good you should be oK . We hope so anyway. Fingers crossed.

My best to those who still will face Irma, at least she's a cat 2 nod.

I'm not excited about the new direction directly north. Headed for Fred's house! [emoji22]

However, if I take one for the team and sacrifice the Bijou, can y'all start a gofundme for my next boat? [emoji56]

Looks like the east coast has taken the most damage so far. Miami and Ft. Pierce really hit hard. Those far reaching bands on the right side of the storm are kicking butt. I don't think you're in trouble, Dude.

Update on Naples from the 6:00 posting.

Hurricane Irma Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
600 PM EDT Sun Sep 10 2017

...600 PM EDT POSITION UPDATE...
...WATER LEVELS RAPIDLY RISING IN NAPLES...

A wind gust of 142 mph (229 km/h) was recently reported at the
Naples Municipal Airport.

A NOAA tide gauge in Naples just measured a water level of 2.2 feet
above Mean Higher High Water, which is a 7 foot increase over the
past hour and a half.

SUMMARY OF 600 PM EDT...2200 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.3N 81.7W
ABOUT 25 MI...40 KM SSE OF FT. MYERS FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 350 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...938 MB...27.70 INCHES

Looks like the east coast has taken the most damage so far. Miami and Ft. Pierce really hit hard. Those far reaching bands on the right side of the storm are kicking butt. I don't think you're in trouble, Dude.

Wait? Ft Pierce? I hadn't heard that. Wonder if Moonstruck was there in the muni marina?

The lagoon is looking pretty full so I took a run down to the lock at 5:00pm (half tide on the outgoing).

We have a lower height spill over in another area that keeps the lagoon at its optimum height and that is running freely into the ICW marshes. We have about three feet on the outside of the lock, so right now if the spill over reaches the outside height, the water will flow over the lock and we currently have plenty of room.

The next challenge will be the next high tide which is 1:53am, exactly when we have the strongest impact from Irma. So it will be easy on the Captain and Cokes tonight!

Good luck Menzies, hope you will be safe.

L

Well guys, we have been glued to CNN the last few days and reading TF every few hours. We are happy for those that have sustained little damage and sorry to those that have lost or have severe damage to their boats. Hopefully everyone stays safe though. Our winter mobile home just south of Orlando may or may not survive, only time will tell.

Reports here are of downgrading, but it still sounds ugly. Good luck, and good management, to all.

Brutal storms. Sorry to hear some folks vessels may be in jeopardy. Our thoughts are with everyone affected by these events.

Hi Irv. Glad to hear the news. Loons Nest will be visited by Irma tomorrow morning up in St Marys GA. I am pretty sure she will be OK.

David

Dave , let me know if you need me to check on loons nest. Obviously Ill be busy for a day or two after the storm.

Its so surreal to sit here and read that someone lost their boat, others aren't sure, and someone else wants to know about door rollers or varnish. I guess it's good to know that this chaos is limited and that normalcy is still the rule in some places.

Here's hoping we all can find our way back to our own "normal" as soon as possible, that losses are limited to replaceable things, and that we get to see the positive side of the human condition as these winds and surge subside.

Thoughts and prayers for all.

Last edited:
Its so surreal to sit here and read that someone lost their boat, others aren't sure, and someone else wants to know about door rollers or varnish. I guess it's good to know that this chaos is limited and that normalcy is still the rule in some places.

Here's hoping we all can find our way back to our own "normal" as soon as possible, that losses are limited to replaceable things, and that we get to see the positive side of the human condition as these winds and surge subside.

Thounts and prayers for all.

That's why I started that thread on boat losses and damage. I couldn't get my head around this and was losing track.

We heard about st-marteen, st-barth and barbuda but anybody has any news about Saba and St-Eustatius?

L.

We heard about st-marteen, st-barth and barbuda but anybody has any news about Saba and St-Eustatius?

L.

We need to not forget any of the areas including the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Cuba.

A little local news on Key West from one of the Emergency Managers. The initial assessment indicates very little structural damage. Lots of limbs, roads blocked. They're getting the airport in shape to fly in troops and supplies tomorrow. The roads to Key West are not passable for regular vehicles. Their biggest issue is water, as they have low pressure so may have leaks. As they anticipate up to 1000 responders staying there, they obviously need water for them as well as any residents there. There are other cities with water issues. Hollywood has one.

Also, they are not yet aware of any bridges in the state damaged. Cell service is out so for communication they'll use satellite phones.

Miami airport has announced they'll open Tuesday. Fort Lauderdale is not willing to commit.

Hopefully we'll continue to get positive news.

I'd suggest if you're looking for news on a specific area, then you might find a local television station for that area to watch. Most of them are streaming full time online.

So, who wouldn't like to invite CLP5 to dinner?

Attachments

• storm_11.jpg
    storm_11.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 87
We need to not forget any of the areas including the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Cuba.

A little local news on Key West from one of the Emergency Managers. The initial assessment indicates very little structural damage. Lots of limbs, roads blocked. They're getting the airport in shape to fly in troops and supplies tomorrow. The roads to Key West are not passable for regular vehicles. Their biggest issue is water, as they have low pressure so may have leaks. As they anticipate up to 1000 responders staying there, they obviously need water for them as well as any residents there. There are other cities with water issues. Hollywood has one.

Also, they are not yet aware of any bridges in the state damaged. Cell service is out so for communication they'll use satellite phones.

Miami airport has announced they'll open Tuesday. Fort Lauderdale is not willing to commit.

Hopefully we'll continue to get positive news.

I'd suggest if you're looking for news on a specific area, then you might find a local television station for that area to watch. Most of them are streaming full time online.

I doubt Saba has any local TV, maybe Statia (st eustatius) but even there it is a very small community. Was there 2 years ago, hope they did not suffer too much, small but beautiful area in all sense.

L

I doubt Saba has any local TV, maybe Statia (st eustatius) but even there it is a very small community. Was there 2 years ago, hope they did not suffer too much, small but beautiful area in all sense.

L

I do as well. I'll bet there's local tv that one of their neighbors has that covers them frequently, but I could easily see them not able to broadcast.

Seriously?

What are they smoking down there?

From the 11:00pm update.

Irma has a very large wind field. Hurricane-force winds extend
outward up to 80 miles (130 km) from the center, and tropical-storm-
force winds extend outward up to 415 miles (665 km).

Seriously?

What are they smoking down there?

From the 11:00pm update.

Irma has a very large wind field. Hurricane-force winds extend
outward up to 80 miles (130 km) from the center, and tropical-storm-
force winds extend outward up to 415 miles (665 km).

They actually may technically be right. Not on land, but on the water. Offshore, tropical storm winds extend offshore up to an area east of the lower part of SC and extend west to an area in the Gulf many miles south of Fort Walton Beach. There are tropical storm winds well over 100 miles off Fort Lauderdale and still south of the Keys and at least 150 miles west of Tampa.

I do agree that even if they are factually accurate, it's misleading. First, most don't care what is going on 150 miles off shore. Also, tropical storms that are near the bottom of the scale and barely more than tropical depressions shouldn't be lumped in a hurricane discussion. Most people wouldn't know that they're on 34 knots or 39 mph. We don't panic on those. They may describe the size of the storm, but they certainly aren't what we're all worried about.

If it's not a hurricane then it's just typical Florida weather to me, especially when it's not even close to a hurricane.

We wish you the best possible luck with your efforts. You will make things better for those you assist.

we under Guadeloupe we still have around 130NM we running 9.5kt sea ar 4/5 feet wind 20kt we over loaded but stabilizer going grey job....:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom