Hurricane Irma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry Menzies Its one of the Speedy's ferries and it's bow is up on land. (not intended) Most of the ferries are trashed and up on land or upside down. Check out the link in my previous post. There are 60ft boats on buidings.

Just got word Possum is taking on water. It's too dangerous to go to her now. She will probably sink at the dock. I have hull insurance. What a pain in the ass. How the hell is water getting in?

Just got word Possum is taking on water. It's too dangerous to go to her now. She will probably sink at the dock. I have hull insurance. What a pain in the ass. How the hell is water getting in?

Deeply sorry to read this HopCar :(

L

Well damn! Sure hate to hear this news.

Last I heard the power was still on across much of Miami - will the bilge pumps not hold her?

Sorry Menzies Its one of the Speedy's ferries and it's bow is up on land. (not intended) Most of the ferries are trashed and up on land or upside down. Check out the link in my previous post. There are 60ft boats on buidings.

Martin, the one bottom left of the photo - with the mast laid across east to west.

We lost power on the river but the generator is running so all us well. The worst for us should be over by 1430 hrs.

Good luck Parks.

Last I heard the power was still on across much of Miami - will the bilge pumps not hold her?

She had at least three functioning bilge pumps Thursday, one 750, one 3500 twelve volts, and one 1500 110 volt. Don't know if the power is on there or not. It's off at my house since six this morning. The batteries would be fully charged until the power goes off. Two 4D batteries would run the pumps a long time.

I was worried about debris in the bilge so I wet/dry vacuumed it Thursday. Maybe I missed something.

Sorry to hear your problem with Popssum, probably more rain than scuppers can handle, and ingesting through locker dooor or similar. we can repair boats painfull as it is, bur severly injured people take longer. Stay safe and fix the boat tomorrow....
When I owned boatyards we stopped emergency hauling etc when the windspeed hit 50mph.
Sometimes better to open a bottle of wine and be fatalistic than take risks.

ouch. Is this from an eyewitness or some sensor? You did more prep than 99% of folks.

Sorry to hear your problem with Popssum, probably more rain than scuppers can handle, and ingesting through locker dooor or similar. we can repair boats painfull as it is, bur severly injured people take longer. Stay safe and fix the boat tomorrow....
When I owned boatyards we stopped emergency hauling etc when the windspeed hit 50mph.
Sometimes better to open a bottle of wine and be fatalistic than take risks.

I think I've reached my wine limit for the entire year already dealing with and obsessing over these storms. [emoji30]

Hi Parks,

You have more good Karma than most people I know...hopefully it's transferable to your boat.

She had at least three functioning bilge pumps Thursday, one 750, one 3500 twelve volts, and one 1500 110 volt. Don't know if the power is on there or not. It's off at my house since six this morning. The batteries would be fully charged until the power goes off. Two 4D batteries would run the pumps a long time.

I was worried about debris in the bilge so I wet/dry vacuumed it Thursday. Maybe I missed something.

I hope the reports are wrong. Good luck.

Oh man, Parks. Uhh! I really hate this bad news and particularly I hate waiting and waiting for bad news. I'm heart broken for you.

Wifey B: I know it's hard being smart, Hopcar, but glad you're resisting dumb urges. Being told of a problem, you could probably fix if you were there but you can't get there really sucks. Maybe it won't sink. Glad you're safe and ok.

Just saw this pic from Naples. Surge coming soon. Crazy.

IMG_0982.jpg

Hmph! Sorry to hear.

In the meantime, hope for the best... something like could be just sitting low from rain water and the pumps might catch up eventually...

-Chris

TWC reports 75% of Miami-Dade county is without power.

65% of Broward. 45% Palm Beach. 70% Collier. 45% Lee. Outages started too before the storms really were anything. People kept reporting tornadoes but just random houses so no one could confirm what they were. The way it's going looks like the vast majority of the lower 2/3 of the state will be without. We lost ours hours ago, but pretty much expected when you're at the end of the line.

They expect 3.1 million homes to be without although a day ago they expected 4.1 million. They've actually restored some but then they may go back out. They warned that due to the number some might be out a day or even longer. I was thinking much longer.

4:00 update. Looks like it came in at Naples. No saying if it will stay in though.

ZCZC MIATCUAT1 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

Hurricane Irma Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
400 PM EDT Sun Sep 10 2017

...400 PM EDT POSITION UPDATE...
...CENTER OF HURRICANE IRMA JUST INLAND NEAR NAPLES...

A 130 mph (209 km/h) wind gust was recently reported by the Marco
Island Police Department. A 71 mph (114 km/h) sustained wind and
97 mph (156 km/h) gust was recently reported at a weather station in
Naples.

SUMMARY OF 400 PM EDT...2000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.0N 81.7W
ABOUT 10 MI...15 KM SE OF NAPLES
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 350 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...940 MB...27.76 INCHES

Pressure going up. Eye beginning to get ragged. Currently headed north. Much of the coast could end up on left (weaker) side if it continues north toward Arcadia, it might weaken further. Surge could be less.

I'm not excited about the new direction directly north. Headed for Fred's house! [emoji22]

However, if I take one for the team and sacrifice the Bijou, can y'all start a gofundme for my next boat? [emoji56]

Last edited:
I'm not excited about the new direction directly north. Headed for Fred's house! [emoji22]

However, if I take one for the team and sacrifice the Bijou, can y'all start a gofundme for my next boat? [emoji56]

Doubt Fred is either. The good thing is it is weakening.

Fingers are crossed for Parks and everyone in Irma's path.

Martin: damn!

The lagoon is looking pretty full so I took a run down to the lock at 5:00pm (half tide on the outgoing).

We have a lower height spill over in another area that keeps the lagoon at its optimum height and that is running freely into the ICW marshes. We have about three feet on the outside of the lock, so right now if the spill over reaches the outside height, the water will flow over the lock and we currently have plenty of room.

The next challenge will be the next high tide which is 1:53am, exactly when we have the strongest impact from Irma. So it will be easy on the Captain and Cokes tonight!

Attachments

• Lagoon1.jpg
    Lagoon1.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Lagoon2.jpg
    Lagoon2.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Lagoon3.jpg
    Lagoon3.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 98
That's pretty slick that your house and dock are protected by a lock. Or semi-protected maybe? Still-- I like it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom