Cardude in Harvey bullseye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still here. We have just been cleaning up after the storm. Went down to my parents and sisters bay house down on the coast and are working on that this weekend. They had a little bit of damage down there, cabana blown away. Some roof damage. But overall we were so lucky.
Glad to hear that you and yours are well and lightly impacted.

The BIG FUN will begin when "emergency" funds are being handed out by the Swamp.

My guess is at least 10-25% will be grabbed by other states for their "emergencys".

BandB

First it is admirable you and WifeyB are doing your part to help clean up the aftermath of the storm.

You wrote:"71% of the damage will not be covered by insurance. ". That sounds like a strange percentage. Where did that number come from instead of 70%?

Half day observations and random thoughts as we arrived in South Texas around noon and just retired for the day around nine.

We had neither one ever been in a hurricane area before today. Try as you might to empathize, television never feels completely real. Seeing the destruction in the Crescent Bend area and talking to the people there hits you very hard. After a few hours, I just had to step away a few minutes and escape and fortunately my wife knew me well enough to know that's what I was doing and needed. However, none of the people there can step away. It's there. It's in their thoughts. It's their world.

There's a tremendous amount of help being given. The kindness and generosity of people is incredible. However, it's all so totally inadequate. Millions are pouring in, but billions are needed. I spoke to people who seem to have a good idea of the task ahead but to more who seemed to be in some level of denial. Maybe that's what they need to get through it. But they weren't recognizing the time it will take to settle with an insurer, and then the time and the money rebuilding will require. What they consider temporary is going to be life for a long time. There was one couple working hard to clean up around their lot and mentally and physically exhausted that we had taken away to a hotel for two nights. I saw many working at high speed seeming oblivious to how long it was really going to take.

Since this is a boating forum, boats in the water did better than anything else we saw, better than boats on land, much better than dry stack boats, and much better than buildings. It struck us that maybe they needed to build houses out of fiberglass. The coastal area of Texas does have a different building code that the rest of the state, but in my lay opinion and that of some more knowledgeable than I am it's well short of the code in South Florida and what a true hurricane area needs. For those who haven't been in South Florida recently no homes are built there our of wood, no stick built homes as such. It's concrete block and concrete and steel as construction materials. You see the houses and buildings destroyed here and you're not surprised. My hope is that this area won't rebuild in the same way they did previously but will do so better. The problem is that is financially very difficult.

I learned some things about insurance in Texas. First for the Houston flood area. 71% of the damage will not be covered by insurance. I also learned that windstorm coverage is not required in a homeowners policy in Texas. Of course banks require it for a mortgage. Some people have it through their homeowners' insurance but many through Texas Windstorm Insurance Association.

We saw some very elderly or with serious health issues that you have to worry about.

We can only imagine the issues in Houston. We just chose this area. We know we can't fix things for any of them, can't undo what has happened, but if we can just help a few with a small need then it feels worthwhile. Probably anything we've done, some organization would have taken care of soon, but we were there and able to right now.

Most are in far better moods than the situation merits, feel lucky to be alive. Six months or a year from now while they're still waiting, that may change. There were a couple very depressed and some of us just sat and talked to them awhile. We also saw a couple who were very angry and displacing that anger not on the major stuff bothering them but on something very minor. We did run across a couple too who had moved onto their boats.

Electricity will be back in about a week. They got a fuel truck delivery today with free fuel. The return of water isn't yet known.

As everywhere there are a few working every day helping others and not even giving attention to their situation. One lady was asked if she didn't need to be doing something at her house. She said, "Oh Harvey has taken care of it, nothing I can do there, so might as well be here."

The spirit of people is amazing. Seeing their determination and what they're dealing with is awesome.

The outcome of all this is not known yet and will really unfold based on how we respond as a nation, which ultimately determines the level of repair, and then what changes the state and local communities make, which ultimately determines the likelihood of this repeating itself.

For any of those of you who have given money, I don't know where it's all going, but I can reassure you that a lot of items very needed are reaching those in need. They appreciate it too.

Thanks for coming to help. I think you will be amazed at how quickly the area puts itself back together.

The BIG FUN will begin when "emergency" funds are being handed out by the Swamp.

My guess is at least 10-25% will be grabbed by other states for their "emergencys".

Curious FF, have you EVER said something positive about......

Oops, sorry, this is not OTDE. Never mind. My bad.

" Curious FF, have you EVER said something positive about......"

My views on gov parallel George Washingtion's as given in his farewell address.

Gov is like Fire a useful servant but a fearful master.

Not a quote , the complete text is here,

https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?doc=15

Thanks for coming to help. I think you will be amazed at how quickly the area puts itself back together.

I hope you are right. I'd love to see folks be able to get back to a more normal routine as soon as possible.

BandB and WifeyB - well done!

We were completely flooded out many years ago, and besides the image of 200,000 3" poinsettias floating in 4 feet of manure enriched Skagit River water what I remember is the neighbors helping to clean 5 acres of greenhouses. Your efforts won't be forgotten either.

Mother Teresa — 'Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time and always start with the person nearest you.'

IMHO. Houston will bounce back rather quickly compared to New Orleans for a myriad of reason but one major one is the refinery of oil goes through Houston.

IMHO. Houston will bounce back rather quickly compared to New Orleans for a myriad of reason but one major one is the refinery of oil goes through Houston.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Lots of money and power in Houston. The smaller communities in Texas that were hit hard,like Rockport, will have a harder struggle possibly. The really tiny towns like Tivoli and Bayside could be in trouble for awhile.

Also, what isn't being reported is the looting going on. It appears to be getting worse and reminds me of Andrew in south Florida where hone owners had to protect their property from looters. One area shot a looter and hoisted him up on a telephone pole with a sign that said no looters. Shameful some people take advantage of others misfortune.

One area shot a looter and hoisted him up on a telephone pole with a sign that said no looters. Shameful some people take advantage of others misfortune.

Plenty of shame to go around, IMHO.

Also, what isn't being reported is the looting going on. It appears to be getting worse and reminds me of Andrew in south Florida where hone owners had to protect their property from looters. One area shot a looter and hoisted him up on a telephone pole with a sign that said no looters. Shameful some people take advantage of others misfortune.

I would like to see proof that happened. We have heard wild rumors here about looting but much has turned out to be false. Fox News is doing their best to perpetuate the "out of control" looter claims. They love to spread fear.

http://www.snopes.com/2017/09/01/harvey-looting-troll-tweets/

Last edited:
Excellent article from a respected climate scientist, who also happens to believe in human impacts on climate, on why Harvey was the disaster it was, and what quantitative role humanity had on its effects.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2017/08/global-warming-and-hurricane-harvey.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&m=1

It's not being reported but you know about it somehow? And it "appears" to be getting worse? Are you having visions? Are you on the scene?

There was a false Facebook post claiming the Cajun Navy had been shot at. Does that dissuade other potential volunteers? I don't know, but we don't need hysterical nonsense.

There was certainly looting after Andrew, and Katrina, and every disaster, I suppose, and there have been reports of looting in Houston. One looter, a teenage kid brandishing a shotgun, was shot by a homeowner after Andrew. Nobody was hung from a telephone pole.

BandB

First it is admirable you and WifeyB are doing your part to help clean up the aftermath of the storm.

You wrote:"71% of the damage will not be covered by insurance. ". That sounds like a strange percentage. Where did that number come from instead of 70%?

It was a Flood Insurance estimate and I just used their number. I personally would have estimated a range had it been my estimate. The point is that it's a majority of the people and with the bacteria and mold on top of the water damage, it's a frightening number as I picture many living in very unhealthy situations.

As to bouncing back, the oil and gas industry is mentioned. I do believe they'll recover in a fairly short period but that doesn't mean the entire area has bounced back. In spite of them, Houston's per capita income is barely above the national average and the income is even less in some of the other areas. The poor will have a very difficult time and many of them will just leave the area. The middle class will also struggle to recover. Think about the small business owner whose business and home are very damaged. Even if he gets his business running again, are the customers there. Then toss in tourism. I don't know what the new Houston will look like. I don't know what the new Crescent Bend area will look like.

If I had to predict for Rockport, Port Aransas, and Fulton, I would predict part of the area would rebuild much as it was. However, I'd predict many won't rebuild and will end up selling. The property will be acquired by those building at some point tourist businesses or new condos or something entirely different, and changing the landscape. Of that being rebuilt, I'm also afraid it will be no more able to withstand a hurricane than what it replaces. After Andrew, new codes were implemented in South Florida. They need to be in South Texas as well but I've heard of no plans. And a new flood control system needs to be developed for Houston.

As to looters, there are looters everywhere there's a disaster and I think they've been controlled here as well as anywhere, not perfectly but a good effort made. Looters won't ultimately do as much damage as another group I'll speak of. That is contractors, licensed and unlicensed, who take advantage of those in bad situations and walk away with their money. There will be major scams and people hurt badly. There was one I'm aware of caught this morning. The sales pitch was to get at the head of the line and give them a down payment and they would be ready to start as sure as insurance came through. No license. The people actually doing it were convicted felons.

Well, my lunch break is about over. Sleeping on a cot is ok. What we miss most already is a nice shower but others here have been a week without one and for us it's just one day. But one hot, sweaty, dirty day.

Yeah, we should be way more worried about the scammers than the alleged looters.

Yeah, we should be way more worried about the scammers than the alleged looters.

I've got very little tolerance for those kind of people. If you want to shoot them and hang them up, I'll supply the bullets and rope, and I wouldn't blame you one bit. There should be "open season" on those people.

Now, most folks should know what a scam is in this situation.... we know they will be there. If one doesn't know a reputable contractor or handy man, then caution is advised.

Seems like the folks there are excellent folks and neighbors will help neighbors and a lot of good will come out so our neighbors with less rebuilding skills will be helped.

Best to all of you.

I had to stop and let the dog wiz yesterday, and imagine my surprise when I realized I did it next to a cell phone shop. You could tell the guy in the car was watching my every move.

We lost 2 batteries, 1 starter, and 1 jeep. salt water is really conductive :) The jeep actually caught on fire and melted the dash. Its obviously totaled, well in my mind it is we shall see what the insurance co says.

11128-albums589-picture3905.jpg

I had to stop and let the dog wiz yesterday, and imagine my surprise when I realized I did it next to a cell phone shop. You could tell the guy in the car was watching my every move.

We lost 2 batteries, 1 starter, and 1 jeep. salt water is really conductive :) The jeep actually caught on fire and melted the dash. Its obviously totaled, well in my mind it is we shall see what the insurance co says.

11128-albums589-picture3905.jpg

Umm, what?

B&B and wifey B: good on you for actually diving into the action and "walking the walk". Hope you don't have to race back to reset yourselves for Irma.

Wifey B: It was two very different storms, even though the same one. On the coast it was a very destructive CAT 4 and inland it was Allison on Steroids and Testosterone. Perhaps it was exactly what Allison would have been this many years later. :ermm:

The worst feeling is when you sit with someone looking for you to somehow give them hope, and you can't honestly do so. All you can do is remind them they're strong and they will battle through it all. Their eventual success and happiness will have to come from within, and against some overwhelming odds. You tell them where to turn for help, but you can't fix their world torn asunder. I'm sure unpopular to hear but for a few of them the best advice is to get out of here and the best help is helping them start over somewhere else.

The best feeling is when you make someone smile who hasn't been doing so, even if it's just playing a silly game or throwing a frisbee.

So many wonderful people facing so much. A reminder too that throughout the country we have people facing huge challenges every day. Throughout the world. We can't change the world, so the best we can do is just help one person at a time. It never seems like enough, but it's better than nothing.

A lot of people alone too. So many singles of all ages. A lot with no one to turn to. It's not just no one in a relationship, it's no family or friends to turn to. Well, too dark for football now so hubby returning.

When the hoopla has all died down, we all must not forget the people here as they'll still be struggling. :)

B&B and wifey B: good on you for actually diving into the action and "walking the walk". Hope you don't have to race back to reset yourselves for Irma.

Wifey B: Hope so too, but we're better prepared for Irma than they were for this. Not much more we could do if home. Just bring outdoor furniture in and lower pool level. We have Andrew to thank. House was built after Andrew and upgraded a few years ago.

I didn't know what CBS was when we moved to FLL, other than a tv network and I associated concrete block with cheap houses. Then I saw everything was CBS, no sticks. I understood in theory why after being told. Now, I really understand.

One other factor none of us can ignore. Those with a little money saved, with insurance, will rebuild. Those like us here who can own boats. The poor can't rebuild their lives easily. How sad to be a mom and your kids lost everything, their clothes, their toys, their furniture, their house and you can't replace any of it and they don't understand any of it completely. :ermm:

While we appreciate kind words, we're really doing nothing. There are so many doing so much more. Plus we're doing it at very little sacrifice. We don't really feel like we merit compliments. Many others do. We're only posting to try to share a little of what we see and the emotions that it gives rise to. We'll need time when we leave here just to deal with those emotions. Seeing people hurting is just wrenching. However, it's an emotion we need. It's part of being human and caring.

Last edited:
Umm, what?

Kemah, Tx. You know, Hurricane Harvey? :rolleyes:

The Jeep was at blue dolphin marina on clear lake and got flooded by harvey. Well so did the other 2 trucks, but they sit a lot taller than the jeep so they only lost a couple of batteries and a starter.

For those willing to donate , a 2 for 1 match seems great!

"For every $1 donated, Walmart will contribute $2 worth of cash or, at Walmart’s option, needed product to the American Red Cross, up to $10 million. Walmart’s product contributions will be valued at Walmart’s cost. The campaign will run from August 31, 2017 through September 6, 2017."

Wifey B: Hope so too, but we're better prepared for Irma than they were for this. Not much more we could do if home. Just bring outdoor furniture in and lower pool level. We have Andrew to thank. House was built after Andrew and upgraded a few years ago.

I didn't know what CBS was when we moved to FLL, other than a tv network and I associated concrete block with cheap houses. Then I saw everything was CBS, no sticks. I understood in theory why after being told. Now, I really understand.

One other factor none of us can ignore. Those with a little money saved, with insurance, will rebuild. Those like us here who can own boats. The poor can't rebuild their lives easily. How sad to be a mom and your kids lost everything, their clothes, their toys, their furniture, their house and you can't replace any of it and they don't understand any of it completely. :ermm:

While we appreciate kind words, we're really doing nothing. There are so many doing so much more. Plus we're doing it at very little sacrifice. We don't really feel like we merit compliments. Many others do. We're only posting to try to share a little of what we see and the emotions that it gives rise to. We'll need time when we leave here just to deal with those emotions. Seeing people hurting is just wrenching. However, it's an emotion we need. It's part of being human and caring.

Thanks for the reports and the perspective. I agree that, as usual, the poor and the middle class will take it on the chin and have much more difficulty trying to rebuild their lives. Especially since Texas Tea Party politicians seem determined to continue to remove safety nets for the poor and middle class by defunding public schools, refusing to increase access to Medicare, etc.

Thanks for the reports and the perspective. I agree that, as usual, the poor and the middle class will take it on the chin and have much more difficulty trying to rebuild their lives. Especially since Texas Tea Party politicians seem determined to continue to remove safety nets for the poor and middle class by defunding public schools, refusing to increase access to Medicare, etc.

Not addressing the political aspects but...

Because of my wife's and my professional careers, we tend to think about healthcare and education. Both will be severely affected in those areas. Most healthcare is provided by small clinics and individual physicians. Many of their offices will be out of operation for quite a while. Most offices had to go to electronic health records. Many of those, like I do, have a server located on site. When flooded, it will be toast. They will have off site backup of records, but it takes time to replace equipment, then restore from the backups. The vendors serving that area will be very, very busy. Everything will take much longer than it would if just one office or clinic had a busted pipe and flooded.

This means that it is going to be hard for folks to find access to health care their need. I'm not talking about injuries related to the flooding and winds, but just the chronic health issues folks have. Even something as mundane as getting needed prescriptions refilled will be difficult.

Education will also be impacted. Not just by the delay in the opening of schools, but in the possible displacement of the kids. Any time a kid has to move from one school to another, they take a step back. With so many families in transition all those kids' education will be affected. The displacement may also cause additional crowding. Even for the kids not affected by storm, if their 3rd grade classroom now has 35 kids instead of 25, they will pay a price in the quality of education they receive.

I am sure there are countless other ways where this type of regional disaster affects individuals negatively. These soft effects will create ripples that the rest of the state and to a certain extent the country will be dealing with over many years. The hard part is that it is obvious these effects will be there, but it is very hard to quantify.

In that regard, Houston schools scheduled to reopen on Sept 11.

Aransas County ISD is closed indefinitely. No timeline is given. Before opening, they need electricity, safe water, and safe buildings.

Most Texas schools started class last Monday. Displaced kids are eligible to go to school where they are. For some it will be easy. For some dealing with being far from home, been through a hurricane, away from friends, and behind, plus tossed into a different district and perhaps not even their planned courses, without the supplies or equipment they needed or a good study area or environment, without clothes and basic items, they will immediately fall far behind. For some, it will be permanent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom