Cardude in Harvey bullseye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have just opened the gates a further 3 feet on Toledo Bend Reservoir. They have been evacuating people near the Sabine river all night long. This is going to be worse than the floods last year, by at least a foot.

For us, we just got power back but expect to loose it again when the Toledo water gets here tonight. We can handle another 4 foot so should be just fine. The hundreds of thousands around us, are already under water so this additional threat is just mind boggling. It just seems there is no end to this thing!

I just saw that Beaumont Hospital is evacuating patients, moving them to Pasadena. The death toll, I'm afraid is going to be much higher than any current numbers when all is said as more bodies are found and as many die from conditions they were being treated for, some at home, some at nursing homes and some at hospitals that were evacuated. The picture of all those at a nursing home with water to their waist is still in my mind. To anyone with a suppressed immune system, all those on immunosuppressants post transplant or for autoimmune diseases, this could be tragic and to those dependent on dialysis or oxygen or feeding systems.

I know Port Arthur was encountering flooding in their emergency shelters.

They have just opened the gates a further 3 feet on Toledo Bend Reservoir. They have been evacuating people near the Sabine river all night long. This is going to be worse than the floods last year, by at least a foot.

For us, we just got power back but expect to loose it again when the Toledo water gets here tonight. We can handle another 4 foot so should be just fine. The hundreds of thousands around us, are already under water so this additional threat is just mind boggling. It just seems there is no end to this thing!

Also, additional evacuations around the Barker Reservoir.

I made two donations to the Texas victums, one to human relief and one to pets. I was able to use my CC so I even got 2% back. I'll probably donate more especially if Trumps tax cuts get passed.

Did I miss it? Did President Trump actually release a tax plan? I haven't seen anything since his bullet points tax proposals from the campaign. If those were passed, my tax rate would drop to %15.

I'd hire someone to wash my boat. Does that count as economic stimulus?

Polar opposite? If man made climate change exists and we don't accept it, there is the possibility we will destroy the earth. Sounds pretty much like Pascal's infinite loss to me. If you do believe in climate change and do what you can to minimize it, but it turns out to have been false, what have you lost, other than a little money? Isn't that money well spent to give the earth a fighting chance? I'd rather spend it on that than bombs, war and a wall we don't need. So to me, it's a win/win similar to Pascal's reasoning-- it makes no sense to not believe in man made climate change.

But I'm not going to argue.

If it was a "little money", then sure, why not act like we know what is going on in a chaotic climate system. But it is not a little money, it is a massive amount of money that starves other needed projects that actually would improve the lives of people. The reality is that the effect of carbon sequestration schemes is to raise the cost of energy. The effect of higher costs of energy is that poor people are made poorer. The UK estimates that there may be tens of thousands of unnecessary cold deaths they describe as due to "energy poverty." This poverty is the consequence of policies that are demonstrably going to have no effect on the climate, at least according to data from the UN IPCC, who describe what the reductions in atmospheric CO2 called for in the Paris Accords would be.

The recent tragedy of the Grenfell Tower fire is a case in point. Instead of installing sprinklers at a fraction of the cost, the government clad the building to reduce its "carbon footprint", turning it into a blast furnace when a fire did break out. No sprinklers, and an increase in carbon from a burning building (and people). Does anyone think this is rational?

This scenario of spend massively to get nothing of value is not what Pascal was going on about.

I sincerely hope you and yours have avoided too much disruption. We all wish you well.

I think we are beginning to cross a line here. I want to give y'all props for debating political issues and being civil and respectful to one another. But now we are at "my facts are better than your facts".

So I ask y'all to please back off the politics a little bit. There have been some excellent posts and observations without arguing "me against you". But we are getting close.

Cardude, I hope you are doing well and all of your assets are ok!! We are blessed to be high and dry and have been donating and volunteering for those less fortunate than us. In fact, we are out the door to go volunteer some more! Please take a look at the TV and see how people are doing down here. Our "event horizon" has been reduced to day by day. For some even hour by hour. Strangely, when those event horizons have been reduced, that is when you see the love for mankind rise to the surface. And there is plenty of that going on down here!!! So be kind to each other!!! Respect each other!! And don't forget, we are all human!!! And love is ultimately what makes this humanity thing work!!!!

Sorry, read this after my last response....:flowers:

Dhayes

So far just percentages that he wou,d like to see and as you know all bill have to originate in congress so no matter what Trump would suggest, as he has done, it will changed and admended by congress but we need a total tax reform and hopefully congress (both parties) will try to get this done. I would be willing to donate more then.

Interestingly, none appear to have been lost to wind or storm surge. They were lost because of drainage, exhausted batteries, failed bilge pumps, existing hull/equipment leakage etc. Three days without power and 49"-50" of rainfall was what it took. Boats that were properly prepared suffered NO damage. Some who left 12V refrigerators and ice machines running returned to depleted house batteries and maybe a little more water in the bilges than normal, if the the bilge pumps were connected to those banks.

My boat thankfully has huge cockpit drains and even with many hatches in the exposed cockpit, my bilges were bone dry and the batteries were still fully charged.

I may be imagining things, but I seem to recall a BoatUS article a few years ago that said that most sinking claims were do to just those things you describe. Faulty design, faulty equipment, or inadequate maintenance (simply cleaning drains) results in rain sinking boats.

How many climate change nay-sayers here enjoy shellfish, crustaceans, fish that eat plankton, or fish that eat fish that eat plankton?

The oceans absorb about 1/3 of the carbon in the atmosphere which is altering the ph of the oceans...search 'ocean acidification' for more information.

Not a good prognosis for Humanity in general considering how many people rely on the oceans for a large part of their diet, but maybe you'll take a greater interest if it affects your sport fishing?

No responses? Interesting...

This means one of three things:

1) you have been searching how ocean acidification could impact your sport fishing and are now grappling with how this new knowledge requires a complete reversal of your position regarding humans pumping CO2 into the atmosphere,

2) you didn't look into ocean acidification much, and don't really want to abandon your position anyway, or,

3) the fishing is fine right now and you couldn't care less about the future.

Am I close?

Last edited:
Ocean acidification sure has not impacted the barnacles that grow on my wheel and rudder...

You didn't mention option #4...we read post 263 that things were getting too political.

MM

Predicting the future is the problem in this discussion, facts are not available.

Ted

Your on to something, we need to rid the world of people. NOKO will soon nuke someone and end the problem. ��

1) you have been searching how ocean acidification could impact your sport fishing and are now grappling with how this new knowledge requires a complete reversal of your position regarding humans pumping CO2 into the atmosphere,

2) you didn't look into ocean acidification much, and don't really want to abandon your position anyway, or,

Am I close?

No, it means we read Baker's post.

Am I close?
I think it means you are nagging. Nagging is often ignored.

I think it means you are nagging. Nagging is often ignored.

Ignoring uncomfortable questions is also an effective avoidance technique, often blamed on hearing loss by married men of a certain age.

Am I close?

There's a fourth option. The science doesn't support your position and most are too polite to point it out to you, since you seem fervent in your belief system. Just a possibility to consider.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/ocean-acidification-yet-another-wobbly-pillar-of-climate-alarmism/

An interesting human nature side effect of Harvey. Television and newspapers made a lot of the shut down of refineries. People in some areas such as Dallas panicked so all decided to go buy gas whether they needed it or not. As a result, stations ran out. There was plenty of gas available to serve all needs, but not once a run on the pumps was made.

Here, chew on this

https://apnews.com/d279b95b3eff430f88fed9c4c2a22fad

Now for you "free market" guys tell me how the free market 1. Let this happen and 2. how it will be fixed.

The national Flood Ins plan is a mess. People have been paying and have every right to be reimbursed. Maybe it will now be reformed. Houses that the system have paid out on time and time and time again are out there. Seems after the 2nd time a buy out is in order and the lot never to be built on again. One step would be to stop allowing ins co to escape liability due to flood and water damage. ALL houses should be insured for all, volcano, earth quake, helicopter dropping porcupines...everything. The first step is to not allow insurance companies to write the legislation, as they do now, then work from there.

Just remember when thinking about major corporations, especially pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies, understand that the perfect working example of an oxymoron is "corporate morality".

BTW, I lived in Friendswood, from 73 to 86. I watched floods, floods and more floods. Houses were paid for with 2 floods, free and clear from the proceeds. 50 inches fell on my old house. I saw 23" in 12 hours in 1979.

More than half of the US population lives in coastal watersheds or floodplains.

http://www.floods.org/ace-files/doc..._Policy/FEMA_Fugate_Testimony_NFIP_6-9-11.pdf

The federal flood insurance program was amended in 2004 to reduce repetitive losses (the "two floods and you're out" act).

An interesting human nature side effect of Harvey. Television and newspapers made a lot of the shut down of refineries. People in some areas such as Dallas panicked so all decided to go buy gas whether they needed it or not. As a result, stations ran out. There was plenty of gas available to serve all needs, but not once a run on the pumps was made.

I remember when Johnny Carson told a joke about a shortage of toilet paper and caused a run that emptied shelves for two weeks.

"The federal flood insurance program was amended in 2004 to reduce repetitive losses (the "two floods and you're out" act)". Cottontop.

I have not kept up. I moved to Fort Worth and lived on top a very high hill so paid no attention to changes. Good to know.

"The federal flood insurance program was amended in 2004 to reduce repetitive losses (the "two floods and you're out" act)". Cottontop.

I have not kept up. I moved to Fort Worth and lived on top a very high hill so paid no attention to changes. Good to know.

You may remember all of the houses along the lower San Jancinto and Trinity rivers that used to flood all the time; they were the classic examples of abuse of the program. They're mostly gone, either bought out by the program or the premiums are unaffordable.

Back
Top Bottom