Trawler Design Suggestions Appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cortez Ed

:Thanx:

We are new to Trawler Forum but we have been diligently checking into various used trawlers in our area (Gulf Coast of Florida). So far we have figured out several options and designs we desire (must have) in a 55- to 65-foot trawler that is less than 38 years old. So far our broker hasn't been able to find THE trawler that meets our criterias.

1) A stern that allows easy access from the swim platform into the cockpit. (No steep stairs or steps.)

2) Easy access from the lower helm/pilothouse up to the flying bridge.

3) Stand-up height engine room with twin engines (preferably CATs or Detroit Diesels) and access thru full height door.

4) Other things: like dishwasher; washer & dryer; bow thrusters; stabilizers; strong winch with good anchor gear; oil change system; fuel polishers; sewage treatment system; radar; autopilot; and chart plotters. (That we could possibly add later, budget allowing.)

The main thing is ease of moving around the trawler for a person with a painful back...

Any information about possibly using Marquipt elevator-adapted type ladder systems would be appreciated! We have no idea how feasible or expensive that might be.

We have looked into Sea Lift swim platforms that look great and offer nice features (tender storage) and easy access to/from the cockpit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! We are really eager to start cruising the Florida Keys, the Caribbean and perhaps even crossing through the Panama Canal...

Thanks!

Ed & Patty

Ed & Patty. One if the qualifications you noted is "less than 38 years old". Is that a misprint?

Welcome to TF, Ed & Patty!

Sounds to me like you should look at the Endeavor and PDQ catamarans. Some decent-looking used ones are on yachtworld.com right now.

Or, if you have an unlimited budget, the FPB 64 would be awesome...

SetSail FPB » Intro to FPB Program

There's even a used FPB 64 for sale right now, which is a rare occurrence:

https://buffalonickelblog.com/

How long have you been in Cortez? DO you ever mosey on over to the Seafood Shack?

Ed & Patty. One if the qualifications you noted is "less than 38 years old". Is that a misprint?

Maybe we mis-spoke? What we are trying to say is that we think a trawler built after say 1980 is what we are interested in buying? We really like the traditional, older trawler "look", not the sleek Euro-styling that seems many new trawlers are being built with. And, of course --- custom ordering a brand-new, 2017 trawler would obviously be wonderful, but unfortunately the associated price tag is a slight problem. :) We want to limit our total investment to between $300 and $400 thousand dollars.

Maybe we mis-spoke? What we are trying to say is that we think a trawler built after say 1980 is what we are interested in buying? We really like the traditional, older trawler "look", not the sleek Euro-styling that seems many new trawlers are being built with. And, of course --- custom ordering a brand-new, 2017 trawler would obviously be wonderful, but unfortunately the associated price tag is a slight problem. :) We want to limit our total investment to between $300 and $400 thousand dollars.

That is a lot of boat for a $300-400k price tag. It sounds like you aren't in a position to put a lot of sweat equity into the boat. Bad back issues and a lot of work tend to be mutually exclusive (I have back and knee issues myself).

BTW, with a boat I tend to avoid using the word "investment". It is pure "cost".

... if you have an unlimited budget, the FPB 64 would be awesome...

How long have you been in Cortez? DO you ever mosey on over to the Seafood Shack?

Nope, we definitely have a limited budget. :)

We've been in Cortez for many years, and the Seafood Shack, while good, isn't our first choice for a place to get fresh & delicious seafood. Next time get down here from St Pete, check out the can't-be-beat, Star Fish Co restaurant for a superb (real) grouper sandwich. It's not fancy but you can't eat "fancy". :D

That is a lot of boat for a $300-400k price tag. It sounds like you aren't in a position to put a lot of sweat equity into the boat. Bad back issues and a lot of work tend to be mutually exclusive (I have back and knee issues myself).

BTW, with a boat I tend to avoid using the word "investment". It is pure "cost".
I don't like to sweat, whether it involves equity or not. :dance:

We also have a third family member we MUST consider; a female boxer, who can't climb ladders any better than me. Thus, easy access around the boat is a major consideration. Getting from the aft cockpit to the swim platform (and accessing the tender) is crucial --- as would be having a nice & spacious, easily accessed engine room for changing engine, transmission & generator oils and servicing fuel filters and polishers? (Reverso systems come to mind.)

Two large staterooms would be preferable over three or four smaller berths.

Whenever we spend money, it somehow just feels better to call it an investment... Not necessarily one that will increase in value. Or we can use the "cost" word as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully though. there are some trawlers out there that will fit the bill and meet our needs. :thumb:

Have a look at a 55 Symbol. It has all the criteria you spec'd. A friend of mine has one.

Have a look at a 55 Symbol. It has all the criteria you spec'd. A friend of mine has one.
Thanks for the suggestion... It does look very good and very much along the lines we are looking for.

Getting a boat from the Pacific Northwest to the Florida Gulf Coast would be real task and something to consider...

We have found a 66' DeFever in Jacksonville Florida that we want to look closer at... There's something about a Portuguese bridge that calls to me. ;)

Ed

...We have found a 66' DeFever in Jacksonville Florida that we want to look closer at... There's something about a Portuguese bridge that calls to me. ;)

Ed

If it's Lapis Lazuli, the boats in our marina. She's beautiful. You maybe able to negotiate a bit she's been on the market for a while. Huckins Yachts has worked on her which is a plus.

You may want to look at some older steel hull trawlers without platforms and price out a custom platform that works for you. Could also be done with a glass boat but when I saw some very nice steel Seaton yachts that were wonderful but didn't have platforms and that was mentioned to me.

If you go older and larger, and are unable to or don't want to do lots of sweating and labor, I would have a substantial maintainance budget. Labor expenses can add up really quickly when farming it out.

Welcome Ed & Patty.

I would say, just keep hunting for that vessel that will pop up and say.

"I am the one for you!"

It will happen. All of us will say the same thing.

"When I first step foot on her, I knew this was the one!"

So keep on hunting.

Cheers.

H.

Ed, saw this looking around today and remembered your post, now foe me this is a true Trawler style deep water yacht, and love those simple and reliable Ford Lehman's that give great economy,SEA TRAMP 58' 0" Nielson 1994 for Sale

Cheers Steve

Have to admit that this one is a vessel I've been swooning over for a long time. It was with some other broker before, apparently didn't sell. Love it... Lust for it.

Ed, saw this looking around today and remembered your post, now foe me this is a true Trawler style deep water yacht, and love those simple and reliable Ford Lehman's that give great economy,SEA TRAMP 58' 0" Nielson 1994 for Sale

Cheers Steve

I cannot imagine looking forward from the PH with a window full of dinghy? Perhaps this boat is always driven from the FB?

If finding a new place for a dinghy is the major downside of a boat with those assets, I'll manage it somehow.

Not to mention it's hardly a Dinghy looks more like a speed boat (of size), Like you, moving to regular size say Rigid hull would improve the visibility, (any way thats what auto pilots and remotes are for! isn't it?)

The engine room in this vessel is something you hardly ever see in 58 ft and with those Ford Lehman's you may not spend to much time there (A pity love that engine room)

Cheers Steve

Back
Top Bottom