American Rope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dcbeach

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Salty Lady
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42
Anyone have any experience with this company. Pricing on 600' spool comes in under $400 which to me is a pretty good deal

Company says its all made in America

Any feedback would be great

What company? 600' of what?

Maybe you can let us know what type and size of rope it is.

I visited their website and I see they offer twisted nylon two ways, regular and heat set.

There is no shortage of companies who make regular twisted nylon. Heck there are two companies in Miami that make that. The problem is it is lousy rope. It is very soft and abrades easily. It really doesn't last as long as it should.

High quality rope made by Samson and New England is all heat set.

I suggest you spend the extra money and buy heat set rope.

Thanks Hopcar
Sorry I posted in two spots here. Inexperience I guess.
The line I was looking at was 5/8" 3 strand. My intent was to cut it up for dock lines. At $375 for the $600, It sounded cheap. I've gone ahead and ordered a 3' sample.
I've always used New England. Love the stuff. But with a new to me 42 and old stiff lines on the boat as dock lines for the slip and docking lines it going to be easy to cut up 200 plus ft of line.

Hopcar knows his stuff.

I bought a 600' reel of 5/8" three strand off of ebay to use for permanent dock lines.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEACHOICE-T...d=172812403801&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

It isn't bad line. It is not as good as Sampson or NE Rope. However, for my purposes, it works great. My permanent dock lines don't wear from stress, they wear from chaffing. I don't live in an area where there are hurricanes so don't get the huge stresses that some do. However, my boat has been through a couple wind storms with this with no issues. We will see how it goes over the winter.

Anyway, at $283 for 600' it is about 1/2 the cost of NE Rope and in my use I seriously doubt the NE Rope would last twice as long. FWIW, I'd be happy using this line for an anchor rode as well. I may end up doing that when I get a spare anchor.

Garden hose sliced open works well and does not dirty the line

Chafe Guards

Garden hose sliced open works well and does not dirty the line

Chafe Guards

Or you can just make your own.
IMG_20170331_140621967.jpg

I bought a bunch of cheap three-strand and its a waste of money. Buy the good stuff. There is some good Canadian rope from the Maritimes if you want the Loony discount.

"Garden hose sliced open works well and does not dirty the line"

But if the line stretches under load the heat will be trapped inside the insulation hose , weakening the line over time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom