Cat aboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Janice: this better work. If I get ravaged by one of my cats while doing this, I'm holding you responsible.:ermm:

Only when checking the crab pot. :)

Yes. Only when checking the crab pot!
Lilly in Cat Trap.jpg

Janice: this better work. If I get ravaged by one of my cats while doing this, I'm holding you responsible.:ermm:

Well I do have ice so if there is a problem...

First attach harness the wrong way.
Day two through five attach a short piece of line for kitties to drag for brief periods of time.

Once they are comfy then go with the full leash and a walk, perhaps to your bride as she crinkles a package of kitty treats. Reward, then remove leash.

With conditioning this should be effective for your purr factories.

Good luck!

Howard seems pretty happy to is with a life at sea!

LOL, Howard and Lilly would get on ok. Seriously Lilly is a PITA whether on the boat or at home. Every nook and cranny is fair game. Fortunately I've been able to keep her out of the engine room so far.

Lilly and Jenny on the lookout.JPG
Lilly at Prideaux.JPG
DSC_0309.JPG
DSC_0221.JPG
DSC_0821.JPG

Note the "cat control device" (spray bottle) that isn't very effective anymore.
IMG_2127.JPG

Jim

I have two 30-year old cats on board....change their oil every 150 hours.

I give my single deer annual "shots" of oil changes, and feed her diesel fuel whenever she is hungry. :blush:

Last edited:
Love all the input. May take Jinx on the lake Sunday just to see.

One thing that has amazed me is the number of people who have cats that hate riding in cars, but love their boats. I've seen cats that start yelling just from the car engine starting. I think they just don't feel the movement or the sound on a boat like in a car.

One thing that has amazed me is the number of people who have cats that hate riding in cars, but love their boats. I've seen cats that start yelling just from the car engine starting. I think they just don't feel the movement or the sound on a boat like in a car.
Ive had Jinx in the car a few times. He hated it. I want to have him loose maybe I just never wanted a mess if he went or since just me in the truck I do not want to have him in a bad area and I get distracted. Only one way to dimd out. He accepted me I think. Sleeps in my arm at night. My first cat kinda different then dogs ive alwayys been around but Jinx is the first animal i have ever had under a roof I lived in.

Quickly the first day we got him he pooped so bad a block away from where I got him. Had to pull over and clean the box and we had about a hour drive to go home.

Maybe now 3 years later and how he warmed up to me next trip ill see how he is maybe tomorrow open in the truck going to the boat.

i was walking in NYC the other day this black guy asked me if the Yankees won. I relpied yeah your free.

Now that's funny AND very NY.

Lots of cats travel.

Use a leash although for ours was no good as she could twist out of it in seconds regardless of the leash and harness type.

I wondered about this. When I was living I an apt 12 stories high, with terrace.

I tried a harness. Cat got out of it ib a manner of seconds.
He'd sleep on the two inch wide rail.

Died of old age.

Richard I figured you must be a cat person. Po Kitty sure did like you. If you ever get back to Miami, I'll have to introduce you to my cat herd at home.

Question for you cat experts....

Is there a way to get cats claws back after cutting them? My admiral has one like that who would probably make a good boat cat, as much as I'm against it, but front claws would be nice.

Question for you cat experts....

Is there a way to get cats claws back after cutting them? My admiral has one like that who would probably make a good boat cat, as much as I'm against it, but front claws would be nice.

No, to de-claw a cat they actually amputate the cats toe at the first joint.

Don't bring that cat on the boat and keep her/him in the house.

Exactly. Cruel and Unusual punishment

Smart cat

I knew a guy on a small sailboat who had a large unfixed tomcat. If anchored out near shore the tom would swim ashore for a night on the town. But in the morning he would sit on shore yowling until he rowed ashore and pick him up. Who ever said cars are dumb.

That's kinda what I though.... as much as I'm not a die hard cat fan, I kinda like him, even though he's stupid, but I wish I had a choice with the declawing.

I though, perhaps, there was a way he would work on the boat, either "re" clawing him or him having the ability to climb up with rear claws (which he still has). He still falls off the dock all the time, and makes it back up to shore.

We had a declawed cat on our sailboat with no issues. We got him when he was five and he adopted quickly. Our first trip down threw ICW Murphy proved he knew where he belonged.

We docked at a Marina in north Carolina. We had dinner with friends on their boat. It was too cold for the cockpit so we ate below decks. Two hours later as we leave the boat, we find Murphy waiting for is in our friends cockpit. He figured put how to get out of ourboat, but waited for us instead of Running off to Chase critters.

...... If anchored out near shore the tom would swim ashore for a night on the town. But in the morning he would sit on shore yowling until he rowed ashore and pick him up.......

I've had quite a few deckhands and stewardesses do the same thing, lol. :dance:

Don't agree at all. We had several cats declawed and they did fine. Outside, climbed trees,.

Our last cat just missed 18 yrs and she spent 10 of those years aboard the boat and did just fine.

Don't agree at all. We had several cats declawed and they did fine. Outside, climbed trees,.

Our last cat just missed 18 yrs and she spent 10 of those years aboard the boat and did just fine.

I've had two three legged cats in my life, they too did very well.

But it was an operation needed to save their lives.

Declawing a cat is cruel. It's the same as chopping of the ends of your fingers.

It may make your life more convenient, but that's about it.

I wonder how many more cats sit in shelters because of cat claw issues versus getting them declawed.

Married into a family with a fixed and declawed male cat. Told my wife I wasn't going to the vet with her. :rolleyes: Cat lived a long happy life both indoors and out. Learned to climb smaller diameter trees with it's back claws. As far as it being a cruel thing to do to an animal, I'm not sure how much more cruel it is than fixing a male cat. Guess it's the social acceptability of one versus the other.

Ted

If you think de-clawing is ok, I suggest you cut the ends of your finger off first, then decide.

If you think de-clawing is ok, I suggest you cut the ends of your finger off first, then decide.

Do you think neutering an animal is without physical and psychological pain? Personally, I don't know. My experience with pets is that they get over it much better than humans. Had a cat that lost an eye, another that lost part of a tail, and a neighbor had a 3 legged dog. They all had happy lives because of their owners love.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom