Source of bow rail chain plug ? (photos)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Part of my bow rail was replaced due to hurricane damage but the yard never did replace the chain plug and ignored all my emails regarding same. Are these things non existent these days ? I could make one but rather buy one already made.

The tubing is 1 3/8" ID and aprox 1 5/8" OD

See last two photos at below link for what I'm talking about

Image test

The killer is the original bow rail although broke from it's supports was still on the boat deck after the hurricane and almost certainly the chain plug was still in the original rail and could have been repurposed for the new rail. But the boat yard workers just threw it away apparently !

Last edited:
Sorry, I realized but too late. I deleted but too late also.

I sold marine hardware for a long time. I don't recall ever seeing one that big.
The OD of the 1" version of this is probably about 1-1/4". Maybe you could bush the ID of your tubing to 1-1/4" and slide this in.

What is the rail made of?

What is the rail made of?
Polished aluminum.....amazingly, even though most of the rail is 1993 original it has no pitting whatsoever. Before I bought the boat I talked with Dick Lazarra (the designer) on the phone and asked why they didn't use stainless. He kind of laughed and said funny I should ask that as he and his brother were arguing over that very fact when they were designing the craft. I can't remember now which of the two was for the stainless but obviously the aluminum won out. I'd rather it be stainless as I do worry the aluminum will pitt someday but so far so good.

I suspect the aluminum won out as if it was SS they would have had to go smaller diameter and they figured the larger rail looked more substantial and impressive.

I sell used machine tools and with a proper diameter piece of stock I could easily lathe turn and then bandsaw out one of these but it really should be clear anodized to not pitt and anodizing one piece is not something an anodizer is too interested in doing, without paying thru the nose anyway.

Last edited:
I suspect the aluminum won out as if it was SS they would have had to go smaller diameter and they figured the larger rail looked more substantial and impressive..

I'm sure that is exactly why they used aluminum. I think since it's aluminum you should go ahead and machine one.

Back
Top Bottom