Cardude in Harvey bullseye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most forecasts are for the max, that may not be what happens but it's better than forecast for the best.

Some official said for his townspeople to write their name and SS number on their arm. Really! Talk about scare tactics.

Locally after hurricane Fran, a bud and I were in the truck to get something or other and drove by Hooters on the way. There were like six Suburbans with magnetic FEMA stickers on them in the parking lot. We discussed between us "thanks for the help"!! Well he had me stop the truck and he went and got a couple FEMA stickers. I still have one.

Between Hugo, Fran and other storms, it seemed these FEMA guys were driving around enjoying the per diem an whatever, meanwhile us locals were busting a$$ cleaning up the mess. Never really seen where they actually aided much. Maybe funding debris pick up, but that too ended up a completely corrupt fiasco.

Most forecasts are for the max, that may not be what happens but it's better than forecast for the best.

Some official said for his townspeople to write their name and SS number on their arm. Really! Talk about scare tactics.

That was directed to the people defying the mandatory evacuation order. I personally, took the order seriously and evacuated. It's a pain but Michelle and I are both safe and well. I am not sure that can be said for the folk that stayed behind.

Heard from Cardude about 10 AM. Still OK but loosing vents off the roof, now holed. Trees down and clogging drains, etc. . A short video clip showed trees really stressed. He may attempt repairs in approaching eye center. I bet he's glad to have left his boat parked at FF's in FL!

KneeDeep, sure hope the best for you.

We are fine. Stuffed some towels in the holes where the ridge vent flew off for now. Will go to the hardware store tomorrow when the curfew is over for some of that Stuff It foam. Think that will stop the leak till I can get it repaired correctly.

Lots of trees down around town from what I see on FB. We have power or water now but they are working on it. I'm drinking wine now and eating some cheese and hummus so can't complain.

Haven't seen pictures yet (which is probably a good thing) but got a call that our floating marina fared much better than the drystack, except we no longer have a covered slip. Report is that boat is floating, not listing and no alarms going off. At this point I'll take it.

Hopefully Harvey will stay a little farther north than forecasted and let the recovery crews get to work.

Man I think Rockport got slammed. Hope all is well.

Buddy of mine has a house near Rockport at Holiday Beach. He sent me this pick of his neighborhood.

IMG_0859.JPG

I have a friend with a boat in Matagorda Municipal Marina. The phones and webcam are down and the sheriffs department says the roads were just closed due to downed power lines, so now she plays a waiting game to see if her boat is still afloat. Does anyone have any info on that area I can pass on to her?

It hasn't been bad in the Clear Lake or Baytown areas. We were fortunate in that we seem to have been in between the worst of the feeder bands, I prepped my boat Thursday and double checked again Friday and hoped for the best worrying more about the many boats around me that seemed not to be well prepped. Just got back home from the marina and looks like little to no damage and minimal surge but we'll have to see how bad all that water coming down from up north gets. Add to that the possibility this thing backs up and dumps even more on us, well, at least we aren't Rockport. I really feel for those down there after having made it through Ike and the aftermath of that. Also on the plus side for me, my dock behind the house on Goose Creek tried to float off this morning when the water rose high enough to float it off the pilings but I managed to lasso it and tie it to a tree before it disappeared out into the bay. During Ike it floated upstream about a mile and landed on some railroad tracks. Got it back then too. LOL.

Geeze, Tallswede, if your boat could talk...

LOL, healhustler, that was the little dock behind my house not my boat. My boat is in Seabrook Marina about 14 miles from my house.

Kevin

LOL, healhustler, that was the little dock behind my house not my boat. My boat is in Seabrook Marina about 14 miles from my house.

Kevin

Oh, your dock. Gee. I feel kind of silly.:blush:

I have a friend with a boat in Matagorda Municipal Marina. The phones and webcam are down and the sheriffs department says the roads were just closed due to downed power lines, so now she plays a waiting game to see if her boat is still afloat. Does anyone have any info on that area I can pass on to her?

We have Salty at Matagorda harbor and made a trip down there this morning before the powerlines fell....the poles were leaning badly at the time.

The water was about 5' above normal high tide, barely into the parking lot. Two days of preps have kept Salty safe so far....thanks to floating docks. Helped put extra lines on a couple boats that has not prepped. Only saw two sportfish boats that were chewing on each other due to parted lines....conditions were not safe to try to separate them.

We have no power at home and cell booster only works when running the generator, so my response may be slow. But you can PM me with her boat name/dock, and I may have noticed it.
Luke

Note to self, find some good floating docks.

My plan was to sail the boat back to Rockport and dock it at the city docks, but they aren't floating. Wonder how that marina fared?

Note to self, find some good floating docks.

My plan was to sail the boat back to Rockport and dock it at the city docks, but they aren't floating. Wonder how that marina fared?

"At the city marina, a handful of boats had sunk."

"He has heard from residents who stayed during the storm that the town’s harbor and marina are “pretty well wiped out,” but he has not yet confirmed that, he said."

"At the city marina, a handful of boats had sunk."

"He has heard from residents who stayed during the storm that the town’s harbor and marina are “pretty well wiped out,” but he has not yet confirmed that, he said."

Oh crap. I missed that. Hope everyone is OK.

Well, the first thing I did this AM was flick on the TV to find the center grinding its way from Rockport to Victoria. Now Cat 1, but such a slow moving 80 MPH storm is going to eventually pry loose a lot of stuff, and after it prys it loose, it's going to soak it till it's mush.

That was what surprised me about Hurricane Andrew... I knew trailers were bad however what I did not consider was that everything surrounding the trailer park would suffer damage from the breaking trailers.

Slow moving is never good. I've been worried about everyone and their boats.

Lots of trees down around town from what I see on FB. We have power or water now but they are working on it. I'm drinking wine now and eating some cheese and hummus so can't complain.

You poor dear... I'm glad you're managing, and very glad Bijou is south, inland and safe!

One thing I remember from Hurricane Ivan and then Katrina was that we locals had to clear the roads before the Red Cross could show up. The food wagons were a big help for certain. We were able to cook as we used propane.

You know, making caffeine addicts their morning pot of coffee sure is an easy way to make friends!

Ivan though did cement my desire to be able to live off the grid, and we were only without power for three weeks. We were very fortunate in that ours and two others in our neighborhood were the only ones with no roof damage. The house behind us had the final inspection on their new roof the DAY before Hurricane Katrina hit. Ivan removed his roof.

I hope the rain stops before more damage occurs. Keeping y'all in my heart and prayers...

Well I hope the weather channel people are happy. We are getting killed down here. It is amazing how the tone of their voices change when it is actually happening. They go from attempted sensationalism to very somber. It's really bad down here. Really really bad.

Baker, I wish I could offer some encouraging words, but what I am seeing on the tv is gut-wrenching this early morning. I see you have power - are you running a genny or is your neighborhood's power still intact? I haven't seen any reports from the Galveston Bay area. How did your house fare? Is your family safe?

I'm wishing all those affected the best luck during clean up and hopefully the least damage from storm. :thumb:

So far we have power here in Baytown but I have NEVER seen rain like this and I've lived here in Texas all my life (almost 60 years). This is way worse than Allison and it's nowhere near over. Ike pushed a higher storm surge onto my property but this is much more widespread. So far I am dry but many of my neighbors are not. Glad my house is not on a slab. The rains are very slowly moving east and north which will cause the rivers that empty into Galveston bay to flood for days to come. So it will be awhile until we are back to normal even though we did not see the kind of sheer destruction experienced in Rockport and Port Aransas etc.

Kevin

Looks as if Houston isn't going to catch much of a break as about the same time rain abated for a few moments downtown, tornado warnings cropped up. When this is over, I'm going to need a serious break from the Weather Channel!

No power here. House is dry so that is good. Hanging in there. Boat appears to be ok.

Looks as if Houston isn't going to catch much of a break as about the same time rain abated for a few moments downtown, tornado warnings cropped up. When this is over, I'm going to need a serious break from the Weather Channel!

I just brought up my Windy app and watched the NAM 3k projections for rain for the next couple days. The rain just keeps hammering the Houston area. Even the ECMWF forecast has Houston getting lots of rain until Thursday evening. I can't imagine how the flooding will play out over the next 5 days.

No power here. House is dry so that is good. Hanging in there. Boat appears to be ok.

That is good news thus far Baker. Hope things get back to normal for you real soon Mate.:thumb:

Cheers.

H.

I was in Friendswood in '79 for Claudette. I was a field foreman for Bell Telephone. 20+ inches of rain on our house in 12 hours. Did not flood, but what a mess.
This one is looking much worse.

Well I hope the weather channel people are happy. We are getting killed down here. It is amazing how the tone of their voices change when it is actually happening. They go from attempted sensationalism to very somber. It's really bad down here. Really really bad.

We're so sorry to see all the people of South Texas are going through. Hate that the forecast has turned out right. Afraid they've yelled and warned so many times in the past people didn't believe it this time and some put themselves in harms way. I'm sitting here wondering if we'd really believe them in South Florida and we might now, but wouldn't have.

I'd encourage any who are safe elsewhere to find some of the excellent organizations (be careful and make sure legitimate) preparing to help the people in need of food, clothing, basic necessities. While waiting for insurers and FEMA these are the organizations that will help people get by. There will be churches stepping up as soon as possible too and regardless of your beliefs if you can help.

I think it's worse than even the forecasters imagined as it was one thing when dealing with amounts and forecasts, but seeing it in reality and people in the middle of it, it's many times beyond what one imagined. I know pulling up local television is scary. 911 doing all they can but many resorting to social media and some rescued through twitter.

This page gives the human desperation. Desperate cries for help pouring in from flood victims | khou.com

Watching people being rescued by boats and realizing that for everyone rescued there are dozens more needing help.

John,

Since the rain subsided for a while, I took a few pics of our marina and, as you can see, the boats are now going to have to take care of themselves for a while. I couldn't see either of our piers, but these are representative. Good luck . . . to both of us:thumb:

Attachments

• 20170827_163031332_iOS.jpg
    20170827_163031332_iOS.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 99
  • 20170827_163534279_iOS.jpg
    20170827_163534279_iOS.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20170827_163648344_iOS.jpg
    20170827_163648344_iOS.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20170827_164702958_iOS.jpg
    20170827_164702958_iOS.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 115
Wow....

It looks like your marina had the foresight to use piling that were tall enough to handle the depth. Currently, the boats look like they are doing fine. As long as their batteries can keep the bilge pumps working until power can be restored on the docks.

Back
Top Bottom