Harvey go away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, lots of wind damage.

Right out of school, I went through hurricane Hugo in Charleston. Lots of wind damage there, too. But there was a pattern detectable: Old structures often failed, new ones did not. The new building codes actually worked. Things built to the new code usually had little damage, maybe shingles or siding.

I think part of the reason there is so much wind damage is that that area has not been hit by a strong storm in a long while (???).

Similar thing to Sandy. A few years before Sandy hit, I transited the area via water and saw what they had built in the shore area. Comment I made to myself was "y'all must not get storms here.." Lots of obviously vulnerable structures. Well, they did get a storm and there was a good bit of weeding of the weak ones. Just like in Charleston and now Corpus area.

Wow, lots of wind damage.

Right out of school, I went through hurricane Hugo in Charleston. Lots of wind damage there, too. But there was a pattern detectable: Old structures often failed, new ones did not. The new building codes actually worked. Things built to the new code usually had little damage, maybe shingles or siding.

I think part of the reason there is so much wind damage is that that area has not been hit by a strong storm in a long while (???).

Similar thing to Sandy. A few years before Sandy hit, I transited the area via water and saw what they had built in the shore area. Comment I made to myself was "y'all must not get storms here.." Lots of obviously vulnerable structures. Well, they did get a storm and there was a good bit of weeding of the weak ones. Just like in Charleston and now Corpus area.

Same thing in Crystal Beach Texas for Ike. It was actually comical because there were about a total of 10 new beach houses out of about 500+...and the entire place was absolutely leveled...destroyed....except those few little houses just sitting there all alone. Now EVERYTHING is brand new!!! They will do signifcantly better next time!!

In Broward county a homeowner of an older home can save huge money on insurance by upgrading to those standards.

Yep. Our house was new enough so it complied with current roof-related codes.... and then we added bolt-on shutters for practically nothing once the additional insurance credits kicked in.

-Chris

Yep. Our house was new enough so it complied with current roof-related codes.... and then we added bolt-on shutters for practically nothing once the additional insurance credits kicked in.

-Chris

Between those type upgrades and us being reclassified out of the major flood zone, our property insurance is about 1/3 what the previous owners were paying.

We have an old house. The first parts of it were built in the 1930's with additions here and there. It sits on cinder blocks and the storm surge from Ike almost got in. The beauty of the place is that it is surrounded by tall bamboo and trees outboard of that which make an excellent wind break. If our house was sitting exposed on the beach, it would have blown away long ago.

Kevin

The video looks pretty similar to our area after Charlie. The advantage we has was a fast moving storm with little surge. Wind damage looks very similar. Stay safe all! Hope Harvey moves on soon

Back
Top Bottom