Harvey go away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greysailor

Vessel Name
Salty
Vessel Make
2005 Defever 44
Well....two full days of preparing Salty for the surge/storm and boarding up the house are done. Our marina is on the ICW about 5 miles inland from the gulf and about 8 miles East of Matagorda Bay, so hoping the surge will be less than the pilings on our floating dock (10').

Our home is inland about 25 miles, but within the current evacuation zone...that decision was made at midnight last night, and is the subject for discussion for another day....

God willing, see y'all on the other side of this mess!

Luke

Good luck to you. Take care of you and family. You've done what you can for the boat and house. Be safe.

ugh, I hate that feeling. My stomach flips reading your post. We did the same thing here last year with Hermine and Matthew. Be safe. Good luck!

I delt with Harvey a week ago in Grenada, luckily not as strong. Good luck with everything.

Luke,

Hope for the best for you. Perhaps the barrier islands will slow things down a bit and minimize the impact. Ten feet "should" be a good position, but even over 10 feet, if the boat is well secured so it won't move much, it can just float down between pilings without issues. Hope you come out fine, we're thinking about you.

Be safe... lots of vessels in the western gulf...

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 113
How all is well for you Mate and the best of luck to you Mate.

Cheers.

H.

I hope everything went okay!!!! Prayers for y'all over there. Man that was a wicked storm!!!

Be safe... lots of vessels in the western gulf...

They go out there for safety reasons. It was funny because the Cruise ships were trying to get out of port. The Galveston/Texas City pilots granted their wish. Now the port is closed(no Pilots bringing in ships). ANd the cruise ships are stranded out there!!!

They go out there for safety reasons. It was funny because the Cruise ships were trying to get out of port. The Galveston/Texas City pilots granted their wish. Now the port is closed(no Pilots bringing in ships). ANd the cruise ships are stranded out there!!!

Wow that crazy Baker! Thanks for the info!

Cheers

H.

Best of luck. After the winds die down, the deluge of rain stands to test batteries and bilge pumps. Still an awful situation.

Several cruise ships programmed for Galveston have diverted to NOLA until Harvey settles down.

Best wishes to those of you in the zone.

First light video from Rockport. I do not know this source so not sure if it is a "random sample" or a sensationalized version. Looks pretty random to me....and it looks like a bomb went off....

All. Please remember the news organizations always look for the "worst" images to show because that is what sells. Not trying to minimize the cat 1 hurricane but you will never see an average of the area only the most damaged.

All. Please remember the news organizations always look for the "worst" images to show because that is what sells. Not trying to minimize the cat 1 hurricane but you will never see an average of the area only the most damaged.

Hence my comment quantifying the video....BUT....it was a CAT 4 at landfall!!!

First light video from Rockport. I do not know this source so not sure if it is a "random sample" or a sensationalized version. Looks pretty random to me....and it looks like a bomb went off....

Thanks Baker for the link.

Old Mother Nature is one Mother you never what to mess with! I wish all the people hit by this all the best.

Cheers.

H.

Baker it was a cat 4 (130 mph) by the new standards, the old standards would have been a cat 3 (as it was never reported at 131). That's not to minimize the storm but just to put it in proper prospective. Any storm will damage property but it appears you may have gotten lucky.

I think that video is pretty typical of the Rockport damage. High school was heavily damaged. It was the most direct and serious hit with a couple of other small communities near it hit hard. This storm is taking many forms so you have CAT4 (or 3 listening to Bigfish) causing tremendous wind damage in a small coastal area and rain elsewhere and now reduced winds to CAT 1 but tremendous continuation of rain in the same areas.

And we ain't out of the woods yet....Houston just doesn't have the infrastructure to get rid of water quickly.

Well, the heavy damage was caused when it was a CAT 4/3.

I think one thing you might tend to overlook too is the building codes of Miami Dade. That's become a standard for construction and for insurers. In Broward county a homeowner of an older home can save huge money on insurance by upgrading to those standards. I have a friend in Pompano who got a two year payback on all new windows and doors.

It's my understanding, although I wasn't here, that none of the Lennar built homes of Country Walk which were destroyed by Andrew would pass code today.

Yes, Dade County has the highest building standards in the country and that saves many homes and lives but even older homes (built in the 1950s ) were built to high standards but mandated by the county because the builders knew the risks. Homes built in costal areas were like fishing shacks in many areas of northwestern Florida through Texas. Those would suffer quite a bit of damage. A friend has such a shack in La. along the water for fishing and every blow it gets knocked down and he and friends rebuild it in a couple of weekends. He catches plenty of fish. LOL

BandB

Not sure how much the building codes gave changed since Andrew but most of the country building inspectors lost their jobs after Andrew after it came out they were taking payoffs from the builders. Roofs that were approved didn't have the wind straps to tie it to the foundation, tarpaper on the roof did not have even one half the amount of fasteners required by code.

At least 3 tugs went down. Crews on barges, exposed.

I heard about that...they are still trying to rescue the crews. The USCG has 2 MH65s on the scene to get them out.

BandB

Not sure how much the building codes gave changed since Andrew but most of the country building inspectors lost their jobs after Andrew after it came out they were taking payoffs from the builders. Roofs that were approved didn't have the wind straps to tie it to the foundation, tarpaper on the roof did not have even one half the amount of fasteners required by code.

Well, Country Walk was reduced to a lot of wood piles so it was the worst example. Codes did also change. I don't know the degree of change. I just know that the words "Miami/Dade code" are tossed around a lot, but it makes sense. Everyone advertises to meet those codes in our area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom