View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #88
Steve DAntonio
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post

As for a marine electrician, I don't believe any certification is required, at least in FL, unlike his counterpart that works on your house. (but I'll stand corrected, if wrong).
You are correct, regrettably, and as incredible as it sounds, anyone can hang out a "marine electrician" shingle, which is why I frequently recommend, if you feel the need to call on a pro, make certain he or she is an ABYC Certified Marine Electrician. The electrical errors I encounter, made by both both DIYers as well as professionals, are nothing short of chilling. The former I expect, the latter are unconscionable.

I know there are ABYC naysayers among the membership, and I freely admit I have my share of issues with the organization, however the value of the Standards, especially those covering electrical systems, are undeniable. There are differences, some subtle and some significant, between residential/commercial and marine electrical systems that, if not well-understood, can lead to fire or electrocution. The most notable among these being the neutral to ground connection requirements.

One of the best, and most easily understood books on the subject is Charlie Wing's "Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook" 2nd ed. It's written in plain language with very good diagrams. I used this as a primary textbook to train marine electrician's apprentices.

Among other things, ABYC - American Boat Yacht Council - American Boat and Yacht Council is a resource for finding, and verifying those who claim to be ABYC certified technicians.