Bow thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Slow Lane
Vessel Make
2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Another observation...The button for my port bow thruster is kinda "iffy". It works but I have to press it at the right angle. If I press it straight on it doesn't work AND I hear a click.... The starboard side button is perfect. Ill check the port button on the bridge as well.

Any ideas?

Think I would replace the switch and see if that solves your problem.

Ted

Yes sounds like a switch issue with their contacts inside, how ever where are your relays mounted? as if mounted close to the switch area you may be hearing the relay "click" thus proving to be a bad relay,

Cheers Steve

Another observation...The button for my port bow thruster is kinda "iffy". It works but I have to press it at the right angle. If I press it straight on it doesn't work AND I hear a click.... The starboard side button is perfect. Ill check the port button on the bridge as well.

Any ideas?

We likely have different thrusters and switches, but I had the same issue with one of mine. At first a switch was kind of intermittent and finally it quit in one direction. I have a Vetus thruster with joystick toggles. I tore apart the switch and found that internally there were some basic push button switches inside, one for each direction. They were a GE switch that I was able to get on Amazon or EBay for about $5 each and easy to swap out. Much cheaper than the 100's of dollars to just order a new switch unit from Vetus.

When I ordered it, I ordered a couple extra. Since I have bow and stern thrusters, each switch assembly has 2 toggles and 4 switches. I have the same on the flybridge. I noticed this trip that one of the ones on the flybridge is starting to become intermittent.

Any ideas?

You could swap the two switches to see if the problem is the switch itself but from your description, I believe it is the switch.

In some cases, spraying electrical contact cleaner into the switch will correct the problem but the most reliable fix is to replace the switch.

If you try the contact cleaner fix, you have to be able to get the spray actually to the contacts themselves. On some switches you can do this. On some, you cannot.

I am not at my boat now, but if memory serves, that switch might be the same as your horn switch. If so, you could swap out the horn switch and just buy a new horn switch without having to have a perfect physical match.

Back
Top Bottom