390 Slippery exterior stairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Looking for some advice regarding the stairs that lead up to the upper helm. We've noticed that the steps and deck become very slippery when damp or wet. The stern deck area is also a problem.

What can we do to eliminate or reduce the problem. I'm concerned that someone will slip and fall. I understand that it's always a possibility, but I would like to see how others have delt with this problem.

Thank you for your time.
Ron
Dream Catcher
Mystic CT

I bought a piece of Seadek and cut it to fit my steps to the flybridge. So far it has worked well.

Non-skid?

It came from the factory with non-slid... sounds like it is time to re-finish.

That said, mine, and most boats don't have non-skid to the very edge of steps, but instead have a band of smooth approximately 0.5" - 0.75" wide. So, we instruct all to take their time on the steps to ensure that their foot is well set in the non-skid areas. (As I understand, they keep the non-skid back from the edge and don't attempt to lap over the edge as it is apt to get worn and quickly start to peel off. Others here with more knowledge can elaborate on why the edges aren't treated with non-skid).

I have seen 390's with teak treads - which are nice and solve the problem of skiing down the step edges.

Take a look at Plasdeck sunthetic teak.
It goes down w trowel on adhesive. I did aft & side decks and loce it. Added a few step pads at entry points after.
Some pics & info on my linked website in signature.

My '01 390 came with 2 adhesive strips of non skid tape installed by previous owner an inch or so back on each step. In the 4 years I have owned the boat only 2 strips came loose and I replaced them. Very economical solution, durable and looks good as well. I came with black color(available in white as well). The contrasting black helps keep the steps more visible as well. Give me an email address and I can send photos if you would like.

Back
Top Bottom