Marine Couches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherAlyssa

Vessel Name
Heather Alyssa
Vessel Make
Mainship 350/390
Hello Trawler friends. An undisclosed marine couch company gave me a quote for a 60" Wide Sofa. It's not a pull out bed. Just a couch with some storage under the cushions. I was quoted $3200 which includes shipping. After I picked myself up from the floor from passing out, I told myself there was no way I would pay that.

So my question. Does anyone have any recommendations for a marine couch that would fit in a 1999 Mainship 350/390? I'm not looking for anything wider than 65" and 35" deep.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Alex

Heather Alyssa
Mainship 350/390
Solomons, MD. IMG_0182.JPG

Alex,

We have always purchased "free standing" furniture. In our 34' mainship we found a futon was the best fit. In our current boat we bought a sleeper love seat and gutted the sleeper section for storage. We found in both cases to find something without the side arms. It took a lot f looking to find the right fits.

Good luck.

You might look at RV furniture shops. There is quite a selection online.

We wanted recliners instead of our sleep sofa... so we just went to the LazyBoy store...

Here ya go: www.homereserve.com
You can design your own, and it's not expensive. I put a wall-to-wall leather sofa on my Hatteras. It's about 9 to 10 feet long. I think it was just under $1,000. Love the storage underneath which I did not have with the free-standing furniture. I got two ottomans, too.

I knew there had to be options other than a $3200 couch. Thank you so much everyone.

We also use free standing furniture. It takes some time and careful attention to measurements, but you can probably find conventional furniture that will fit. And buying from a furniture store will be a fraction of the cost of buying from someone who specializes in boat furniture.

One challenge though is getting it on the boat if you have tight access as we do. Some furniture can't be disassembled, which you have to take into account.

Paul

Hello Trawler friends. An undisclosed marine couch company gave me a quote for a 60" Wide Sofa. It's not a pull out bed. Just a couch with some storage under the cushions. I was quoted $3200 which includes shipping. After I picked myself up from the floor from passing out, I told myself there was no way I would pay that.

So my question. Does anyone have any recommendations for a marine couch that would fit in a 1999 Mainship 350/390? I'm not looking for anything wider than 65" and 35" deep.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Alex

Heather Alyssa
Mainship 350/390
Solomons, MD. View attachment 67945

Alex, is that the Mainship standard-issue couch you have pictured for $3200?
Whew wee! We have the exact one on our 34 that a 390 owner gave us when he changed to recliners instead. It's a good fit for a 34 salon too but we would've never paid that much for it. It's amazing how the price goes up when stuff is labeled "marine".

Boomerang, that's not the standard issue. I wish. The boat was purchased from the PO with two reclining chairs. You're absolutely right though. Everything from toilet paper to electronics skyrockets once you add the word "Marine". It's amazing. I'm in the wrong business.

I got a futon from World Market, like 500bucks. Ends fold down to make a bed, cushions have a zippered liner so they can be removed and cleaned. With cushions off, light enough for just me to carry off the boat. Been happy with it for nine years.

We bought a sofa and love seat set at a local furniture store...had the sofa delivered to the house, the love seat delivered to the boat.

One challenge though is getting it on the boat if you have tight access as we do. Some furniture can't be disassembled, which you have to take into account.

Paul

I had this issue when buying a new sofa and 2 barrel chairs. Sliding door had 23 1/2 inch clearance. Had to go with a marine furniture co. that allowed for partial disassembly to get through that door! However, I must say the quality of the product and Sunbrella fabric for marine use was A+ .

"Everything from toilet paper to electronics skyrockets once you add the word "Marine". It's amazing. I'm in the wrong business."

Try "aircraft" or "military" for best markups.

Another question. Should the furniture in the boat be made of a certain upholstery material? It will be in the boat during the season with a dehumidifier on and damp rid canisters all over the boat. Thoughts?

Couches

Curious about what is marine about any couch? I have used leather couches on the last two boats, as the leathers cleanability and waterproof qualities, make them "marine" I also like the afternoon nap, or extra berth that a real couch makes work. (Ie the $3200.00 couch does not really look like a good mapper, let alone sleeper) Removing the feet makes them easier to get in a tight fit. I removed the windows on a 4588 bayliners, to get one in. It was a snap.

Steve

Another question. Should the furniture in the boat be made of a certain upholstery material? It will be in the boat during the season with a dehumidifier on and damp rid canisters all over the boat. Thoughts?

Our original FlexSteel sleep-sofa was (and the dinette upholstery is) ultraleather or some such. OK.

We just picked a regular fabric for the recliners. Stain resistant magic in it/on it...

FWIW, one feature of LazyBoy chairs is that the come in two pieces -- not obvious and no one mentioned it while we were shopping -- so delivery to the boat and then "installation" was even easier than I had expected.

Realize you're going the other direction, but it may well be many sofas come apart too. The back lifted off our FlexSteel original, so getting it out the door wasn't difficult except for the weight.

-Chris

Marine Sofa

Heather,

If you are still in the market, I may have exactly what you are looking for. We just purchased a Carver 530 and the wifey, with her "nesting", wants to change out the Sofas. They are in great shape and the one that fits your size requirement is a sleeper.

The only problem is, we are located in Orange Beach, AL.

PM me if interested.

geauxcruise,

Thanks but I've already purchased one. Waiting on delivery. By the way.... I lived in Pcola for 4 years over by Perdido. Got married at Johnson's Beach. Love the area!!!!! Orange beach is beautiful. Jet Ski'd like a mad man while I was there.

Alex

sofas

geauxcruise,

Thanks but I've already purchased one. Waiting on delivery. By the way.... I lived in Pcola for 4 years over by Perdido. Got married at Johnson's Beach. Love the area!!!!! Orange beach is beautiful. Jet Ski'd like a mad man while I was there.

Alex

No problem. Happy you found something. Im going to post them on TF when we are actually ready to sell.

Pensacola 4 years?? Military?

I'm jealous!! Spent all four of those years (and many more) in Little Sabine on our boat for the Air Show watching and wishing it was me!! Thanks for your service.

Thank you geauxcruise. It was a great experience! I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Alex

"Everything from toilet paper to electronics skyrockets once you add the word "Marine". It's amazing. I'm in the wrong business."

Try "aircraft" or "military" for best markups.

Yea, what was that adage "An Elephant is a mouse built to MilSpec". :D Oh, and we have two Lazy Boy recliners on board. The compact "apartment" sized ones.

Marty...........................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom