Well, I just did something really stupid...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That`s great AT tank design, Nigel Calder would approve.
So easy,tank caps are identical except for words moulded into the caps. Do it without your specs, in a hurry, distracted, and oops. Hope it comes good, it should.

Yeah, I am very impressed with that tank design. Excellent foresight on the part of Tomco. Fuel and water fills side-by-side, not so much.

Use some 5 gal pails or some bins filled with water to weigh the boat down and create a list it to get the water to run to the drain point on each tank one at a time.
I did that for my goof a few years ago and it helped.

I always double check that the hose the guy hands me at the fuel dock is diesel and not gasoline. I ask---always.

BTW, you can buy a water detecting paste that you smear on the end of a dipstick and lower to the bottom of the tank. It changes color if it touches water. This will help you to determine if you got the water out.

I always double check that the hose the guy hands me at the fuel dock is diesel and not gasoline. I ask---always.

I don't. I should, but I don't. I mean to, but I still don't. I normally don't think about it until the dock attendant confirms with me while handing me the pump. By then, it has been confirmed by the dock attendant and not by me and I feel foolish and inadequate.

Bruce, are you at DiMillo's ? If your around I'll shoot over in the whaler and say hello before you go.

How'd ya like that storm last night!

Sorry bout the water issue, could have been worse I imagine.

I don't. I should, but I don't. I mean to, but I still don't. I normally don't think about it until the dock attendant confirms with me while handing me the pump. By then, it has been confirmed by the dock attendant and not by me and I feel foolish and inadequate.

If you forget to ask.......

I always squeeze and let go after a second and pull the nozzel almost out.. It lets me know the pressure and volume at which I am pumping.

It also usually gives me a good wiff of the liguid for ID purposes and the pause allows the brain another chance to alert me if I am at the wrong fill.

Just habit now......

Bruce, are you at DiMillo's ? If your around I'll shoot over in the whaler and say hello before you go.

How'd ya like that storm last night!

Sorry bout the water issue, could have been worse I imagine.

We are in fact at DiMillo's.
Dealing with fuel this morning but if you want to stop by, we are on the little dock in the north eastern corner across from J's Oyster.
Bruce

On my last boat the water & fuel fills were close together & I almost put water in the fuel tank on severable occasions. My present boat has the various fills far apart and all that I have to remember is that the water fill is amidship to port. The fuel fills (both sides) are aft on the side decks, close to the cockpit, which allows the fuel guy easier access dragging the fuel hose to the far side of the boat. The waste tank fill is to starboard,forward on the side deck. Until this thread, I never gave the placement of the fills much thought.

I decided that since the guy we hired to polish the fuel was so honest that I'd reward him with the job of removing the water anyway.
Well, I got a call this morning and he was running late.
I couldn't help myself and I began the job.
I've pulled out about 5 gallons of water and it appears that we are getting back to fuel.
I'll just pay him to fish up as I have no way of disposing of the fuel/water...
It is great to know that it is a pretty easy tank to work on!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 38
Wifey B: Dorsey would never have done anything so dumb. :eek: I think you better go treat her to a nice spa treatment and a five star restaurant tonight. :D

Thank goodness it wasn't the other way around and fuel in water.

We're paranoid over this happening. Now have diesel van and paranoid over putting gas in it. Too many holes and nozzles in all this. Easy enough to stick in in the wrong hole. :nonono:

We announce to ourselves out loud what we're doing and read what's written on the cap and announce what hose and people look at us like we're idiots in doing so.

Then that's what the polishing guys are for and great you got one who is honest and has determined doesn't have to polish.

We're people, we screw up. It's what we humans are good at. :rofl: It's why other animals just stare at us in amazement like "did you just see what that human did?"

Spa and dinner for Dorsey and all is forgiven. :dance:

Wifey B: Dorsey would never have done anything so dumb. :eek: I think you better go treat her to a nice spa treatment and a five star restaurant tonight. :D

Thank goodness it wasn't the other way around and fuel in water.

We're paranoid over this happening. Now have diesel van and paranoid over putting gas in it. Too many holes and nozzles in all this. Easy enough to stick in in the wrong hole. :nonono:

We announce to ourselves out loud what we're doing and read what's written on the cap and announce what hose and people look at us like we're idiots in doing so.

Then that's what the polishing guys are for and great you got one who is honest and has determined doesn't have to polish.

We're people, we screw up. It's what we humans are good at. :rofl: It's why other animals just stare at us in amazement like "did you just see what that human did?"

Spa and dinner for Dorsey and all is forgiven. :dance:

Today is our 20th anniversary actually.
It's going to take more than a Spa and dinner!!! :D
Bruce

Today is our 20th anniversary actually.
It's going to take more than a Spa and dinner!!! :D
Bruce

Wifey B: Well, double down. Super anniversary celebration plus spa and dinner separate for being a dummy...:rofl:

This is highlighted as a 20th anniversary gift:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...D=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc=LINKSHARE-_-5-_-63-_-MP563

It's on sale. Or any of these nice Platinum rings from Blue Nile. :D

https://www.bluenile.com/jewelry/an...WDBdlo4rMjUWFYyC7mK_jcZn0URXrq0DZIaAnov8P8HAQ

:hide:

Wifey B: Seriously congratulations to both of you for 20 years and obviously being great with each other and still very happy. We're only at 16.

And this is for the two of you.

Just made my hubby cry. We so feel this and I know you and Dorsey do. :)

If you forget to ask.......

I always squeeze and let go after a second and pull the nozzel almost out.. It lets me know the pressure and volume at which I am pumping.

It also usually gives me a good wiff of the liguid for ID purposes and the pause allows the brain another chance to alert me if I am at the wrong fill.

Just habit now......

Good habit. Even though I have boated for over 50 years, the number of times I have had to fill a tank with diesel is under 50 times. A good share of that time was sailing dinghies with no engine. Another long time was sailing sailboats with an outboard for auxiliary power. There we would carry a gas can to the pump. Then with the sailboats with diesel inboards (three of them), we generally needed to only fill the tank a couple times a year. Even after 1 1/2 years with my trawler I've only filled the tanks 6 times. I'm still a newb at fueling.

Back
Top Bottom