Cat aboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I bought my Hatteras, I had an elderly blind cat. He did just fine and never went outside. He lived to be 21 years old, his last 9 years being on a boat. When I realized I could not live without a cat after he passed, I foster failed on the one I have now. He did just fine, too. And last week, a friend of my shot and killed himself, so I have a pocket panther (black cat) now, and he's doing just fine, too. Cats adapt well. My favorite cats are the ones nobody wants - the old, the blind, the 3-legged, the FIV+, etc. - the ones that have no other chance. I keep mine indoors, strictly, with the exception that they can go on the aft deck with one of us is out there.

Wifey B: You certainly get my admiration for what you do. :)

Mermaid, you're a good person. Never heard the term "foster failed". Does that mean you intended to foster the cat until a forever home became available but you decided to keep the critter?

Our twelve year old "Max" has adapted very well to living aboard. He still gets to sleep in the sun, eat whenever he wants, partake in as many tummy tickles as he can handle and freely wanders around the deck when feeling adventurous. I'd say that he is closer with us and more comfortable in himself than ever before.
There's something about salt air that most all pets (and their human mates)seem to love and it leaves them calmer and more chilled.

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 96
Got Claws?

We had two cats go in the water last weekend in our marina. The first was only three years old and happily walked its section of dock daily. She must have gone in when nobody was around and did not survive. She was declawed.

The second was surprised while sleeping on my friends flybridge, after tormenting his indoor boat cat, a few boats from his home boat. She sprang up and over the rail into the water with what was described as great 'hang time.' She climbed up a pole onto the dock and went home soaked and embarrassed. Her owner was not aware of her escapade the next day but did mention both their cats have their front claws.

Some cats can still climb without them but better to give them a chance if out loose.

The towel trick we use works because Howard has all of his claws.

Milton brings up a good point. I wouldn't bring a de-clawed cat near the water.
I once found a cat clinging to a seawall with her back legs in the water. She was only able to hang on because she had claws. Her belly was cut by oysters and the tide was rising.

Another important thing is to have a chip implanted and keep the contact information up to date. The seawall cat, now named Esther, had a chip but the contact info wasn't current and we could not contact her family.

Why Esther? After Esther Williams of course. She now lives with my friends Darrell and Cindy and their other cat, Rat Kitty.

You'd have to be some sort of sad sick bastard to de-claw a cat.

You'd have to be some sort of sad sick bastard to de-claw a cat.

I used to think that too and I've never de-clawed one of my cats. It causes the cat some pain for a few days and if they get outside it reduces their ability to get away from danger.

On the other hand some people will not own a cat with claws and I figure losing their first toe joint is better than being killed in a shelter.

I figure if they will give the cat a good home, and never let it out of the house, I'll forgive them for the de-clawing.

On the other hand some people will not own a cat with claws and I figure losing their first toe joint is better than being killed in a shelter.

I can not agree with you there as you can use that sort of justification to justify anything.

How about it's better to pull a dogs teeth out than put down a savage dog.?
Or its better to traffic/enslave children than have them dying from starvation.?

The sort of people that would think its OK to mutilate animals for their own enjoyment shouldn't have them.

We cut the tips off our cats nails when they get to sharp.
Its not hard.

Last edited:
Simi your examples are pretty extreme. Since we are going to extremes, would you rather have your finger tips cut off surgically or be killed? If you opt for the surgery, you'll never be hungry and you'll be loved and pampered for the rest of your life.

What gets me upset is cat breeders. There is no shortage of cats. They manage to breed fine without our help. Cats that are bred for particular traits tend to have physical problems. If you want a cat, get it from the shelter.

I appreciate your passion. Anybody who cares for cats that much is a good person in my book.

I've got 12 and 14 year old cats that are supposed to be aboard with us later this year. Sure hope they don't kill us in our sleep.

Howard seems pretty happy to is with a life at sea!

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

Ships cats have been around for time eternal. In fact I'd say they're far simpler to have on board than a dog. And I'm a dog person.

ps: This post is sooo ripe for some great jokes but I don't want to be banned...

I'll second or third this. Cats are much lower maintenance. With dogs, you end up being unpaid crew and having your agenda set by the dog, not you.

I've got 12 and 14 year old cats that are supposed to be aboard with us later this year. Sure hope they don't kill us in our sleep.

More likely they'll sleep/purr on your chest at night assuming they are trusting.

Last edited:
Great cat, Scott!

There's a parody of an old church hymn "Fling out the banner! Let it float
skyward and seaward, high and wide" that substitutes "cat' for "banner". Can't remember the rest.

Cats adapt very quickly to ship life, but removing their claws is akin to animal cruelty. Declawing leaves a cat without their principal means of defence and reduces survivability during a rescue.
Plus it's just plain not cool.

I just think my Jinx would either slip in the water or run away on the dock and not listen. Then again I guess he would be used to a harness and leash by then.

Jokes are jokes. I used to drive tractor trailers now im ready for the water travels.

i was walking in NYC the other day this black guy asked me if the Yankees won. I relpied yeah your free.

You should be banned. Racist jokes don't fit here or anywhere else.

Mermaid, you're a good person. Never heard the term "foster failed". Does that mean you intended to foster the cat until a forever home became available but you decided to keep the critter?

Yes, Parks. I foster from time to time for Miami-Dade Animal Services. On my first foster from MDAS, I ended up not being able to let him go and adopted him on the morning I was supposed to take him to the annual Mega-Adopt-a-
Thon at Tropical Park. I had his crate all ready to go, with a write up about him, and I looked at him that morning, and went to the event alone. Found the foster coordinator and told her I was there to adopt him. That's a "foster fail". That's how I got Squirt (shown in the photo I posted). I have successfully fostered others since and they always get adopted quickly. Squirt is an awesome cat daddy and teacher to the kittens.

Every time I would come to Hopkins-Carter during the weekdays ("office hours"), I would go upstairs to visit your kitties, and then chat with Ronnie about football. The good ole days!

Ran into this guy from Seattle, Asked me if the Mariners won.:banghead: I am still laughing:lol::lol::lol::D

Cats onboard fall in with 'No bananas or whistling in the pilot house."

Last edited:
Had our cat with on our sailboat and sailed from Cape Cod to Trinidad. She was great company and keep us amused for hours on anchor.

Our 2 cats cruise with us every where. They are so easy to have on board and we consider them part of our crew. One of them love to hang out with me in the engine room to supervise. If I could only train him to fetch tools, LOL.

One of them love to hang out with me in the engine room to supervise. If I could only train him to fetch tools, LOL.

Ours tried that on the first day and I rather violently threw her out.
She's never been back since, she will sit at the door and watch, but not venture in.

I didn't want her deciding that engine was a nice warm spot to sleep and one day becoming minced cat on startup.
The fur would make a mess of the engine :eek::whistling:

I'll second or third this. Cats are much lower maintenance. With dogs, you end up being unpaid crew and having your agenda set by the dog, not you.

Yup. Dogs own their masters who are slave to their dogs pooping habits.

I have two 30-year old cats on board....change their oil every 150 hours.

Yup. Dogs own their masters who are slave to their dogs pooping habits.

Small price to pay for the companionship and devotion and affection. When I come home my dog does a wild run of joy around the yard because she can't contain her happiness. And last week when my wife accidentally jerked the leash as our dog was jumping from the dock finger to the swim step, yanking the pooch into the water, we just pulled her out and she shook off the water. Wasn't mad at all. No human would be that good natured about a dunking like that.

Use a leash although for ours was no good as she could twist out of it in seconds regardless of the leash and harness type.

Suggestion regarding harness and leash arrangements: put the harness on upside down. The attachment point for the leash should be under the cat.

In the wild cats drag their prey under them. Often something like a snap from your leash will cause them to panic. Under the body may be more natural.

This worked for our two cats one of which would go ballistic if anything ever touched his back.

Back
Top Bottom