View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #76
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Actually, many might be suprised at how many are lost each year to suicide, off duty accidents and training.

Way more than what taxpayers should pony up...but hard to take the human side out of even military personnel.
Wifey B: The suicides are the ones that tear me apart. The lives of young people destroyed, some dead, some living dead.

The impact of these two collisions. Some of these have spouses and kids. Think about the toll on the survivors.

You mention selling your soul. It's that and shutting part of yourself down too to be able to do the job. They have to go through things most of us can't imagine. I don't personally know the commander of the previous one but he escaped from his cabin and I can't imagine that he's not torn apart every day of his life that he escaped and seven of his men nearby did not.

Now these deaths get headlines and we discuss them here because they are boats. The horrors going on in the world, and it's not one party or another or today vs. yesterday as they've been with us, are staggering. Most of us do what we must to survive and don't focus on them.

We owe it to the Navy to address the problems but more we owe it to those serving and those now dead. Not for military reasons, for humane reasons. Forget for a moment Col Regs and whose fault, but picture the face of one of your close friends the last time you see him before the collision and him being missing.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote