Alternative info about a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Is there a resource, besides YW, where you can get more info about a boat?
I found one I like, but it is in another country. I called the listing broker, but he is very busy now. Before I'd make a trip to the other country, I would like to learn more details about this trawler. I searched the web, but nothing was available. Is my only source is the listing broker?

You might post what boat it is here... perhaps someone here has owned one.

I'd prefer not to give info on the boat. It is a custom boat, so might not be familiar to most. Plus, I already talked to the listing broker, so it would not be fair. If there is no other database for boats, I will just wait until the broker is available again.

Sounds like the seller needs a new listing broker, one who isn't too busy to talk to a prospective buyer.

If it is custom then there is not likely to be any on line reviews of it. And the likelihood of someone here owning one is low.

But I don't see why you have a problem with naming the boat. Believe me, there is little honor among boat brokers ;-).

David

But I don't see why you have a problem with naming the boat. Believe me, there is little honor among boat brokers ;-).

David

Maybe so, but I don't want to give a bad name to anyone.
I'll wait a bit longer and maybe I'll call him again. I am not in a hurry.
It is also possible that the boat is not worth it, so why make a fuss about it? The listed photos are almost 10 years old.
I'll keep you updated.

Maybe so, but I don't want to give a bad name to anyone.
I'll wait a bit longer and maybe I'll call him again. I am not in a hurry.
It is also possible that the boat is not worth it, so why make a fuss about it? The listed photos are almost 10 years old.
I'll keep you updated.

Bad name? Really don't understand that. YOU'RE buying the boat with your money. Get all the info you can.

Maybe no one here has one, but maybe someone is familiar with it or the building. This is a good source for finding stuff out. It has nothing to do with the broker or giving anyone a bad name.

Let the broker do his job... in fact, insists on it. He's getting paid for it and eventually the dollars come out of your pocket. If he's not doing the job get someone else.

But, don't hold back getting info on your boat.

I'd prefer not to give info on the boat. It is a custom boat, so might not be familiar to most. Plus, I already talked to the listing broker, so it would not be fair. If there is no other database for boats, I will just wait until the broker is available again.

Google.

I don't think you can really get bigger than that. If it's a custom boat that isn't mentioned then it just isn't one with comments anywhere and highly unlikely you'll find someone with knowledge outside it's immediate location.

It's too late now, but this is the type circumstance where one can get their money's worth from a buyers broker.

BrandB

You are correct and I somewhat agree with you. I saw her on craig's list, so I assumed it was a private sale, when I first made the contact. Plus, I just wanted to gather info, before even considering this seriously. I am not against having a buyer's broker.

Get a broker for yourself and let him do the work. A good buyer's broker will be able to get much more out of a conversation with the listing broker than you or I can.

I believe, once the listing broker has been contacted, it is very difficult to bring in another broker successfully. (commission, paperwork, etc.) It might be possible, of course, but there is no hurry here. Everything can work out just fine. I have patience.

That is true, officially. Most of the time, there is a resistance towards splitting, for obvious reasons. If it comes to the point where nothing moves, I will seek out more help.

IMHO the fact that you made a brief contact is irrelevant. The broker's job is to sell the boat for his client. Having a broker on your side costs you zip. Unless you have a vast amount of experience, you won't come out of this as good as if you had your broker working for YOU. But it's your money. Best of luck.

Lots of red flags here. Boat listed on Craigslist instead of YW. Ten year old pictures in the listing. Craigslist listing not revealing that it is a broker. Broker too busy to show it to you now. Boat located in another country.

You need a buyers broker, or it may be prudent to just walk on this one.

Buyer's brokers also have more resources than just YachtWorld. You tell him/her what it is you are looking for, how much $$ you have, what your intended cruising is about, and he or she goes hunting for you to find the best boat at the best price.

Rossland

To be fair, it is on YW, too. The listings show broker info on both.
Both, buyer's broker and ' walk away ' is still in consideration.

Lots of red flags here. Boat listed on Craigslist instead of YW. Ten year old pictures in the listing. Craigslist listing not revealing that it is a broker. Broker too busy to show it to you now. Boat located in another country.

You need a buyers broker, or it may be prudent to just walk on this one.

It's also on YW. Why a Washington broker selling a boat in Mexico is a good question though. Broker can't show the boat possibly. Would likely arrange with the marina for it to be seen.

It's also on YW.

Sorry I should have checked. But my advice still stands. Either use a buyers broker or walk away. There are too many potential problems.

IMHO the fact that you made a brief contact is irrelevant. The broker's job is to sell the boat for his client. Having a broker on your side costs you zip. Unless you have a vast amount of experience, you won't come out of this as good as if you had your broker working for YOU. But it's your money. Best of luck.

JustBob,

I might disagree with you a bit... if the broker is on your side then you pay him. Sure, you can negotiate a lower price because the seller shouldn't have to pay a selling commission.

However, I agree on having a buyer's broker.

Normally I'd be among the most skeptical but the boat is intriguing. It's a Bruce Roberts design. No idea who built it but guessing perhaps a gulf coast commercial builder. Don't know it's current condition or what it looks like today. I suggested to him earlier that the marina could probably have someone look at it and would probably know a bit more about it. I think it's worth a bit more time and exploration and some direct questions such as why it is where it is, why it's for sale, and why the broker who was chosen.

It sounded crazy and it may still be, but it might, even though perhaps not good odds of it, just be good.

Find someone who will inspect the boat for you. You can pay a marine surveyor to travel to the boat for an at the dock inspection but that is expensive. You could find someone from a local boat yard that might be able to give a report to you. The idea is to hire someone local who is unbiased to save you the expense and time of a trip yourself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom