A Bad Monkey Tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PPS
I absolutely hate led acid batteries!

Has anyone here installed a flettnor ventilator? They are all over in Europe but never see them in the U.S.

Just got caught up on this thread, and spent the last, oh, 45 minutes going over it pic by pic, word by word. Absolutely awesome is all I can say!

Beautiful job and glad to see things going well.

Enjoy.

Just got caught up on this thread, and spent the last, oh, 45 minutes going over it pic by pic, word by word. Absolutely awesome is all I can say!

Beautiful job and glad to see things going well.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the nice words Off Work.
A few more pics of the Black Point Regatta and an Ariel shot with BM at mooring
How to watch a regatta in the Bahamas!

Attachments

• Legal Weapon.jpg
    Legal Weapon.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Neighbours.jpg
    Neighbours.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Watching.jpg
    Watching.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Pipe Creek.jpg
    Pipe Creek.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Bottom Mark 1.jpg
    Bottom Mark 1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Downwind.jpg
    Downwind.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Hiking.jpg
    Hiking.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 113
The Gulf Star is my favorite boat, has been since I saw my first one forty years ago. Had a lot of boats since both sail and power, but never seemed to cross paths with one at the right time. Been on dry land (Southern UT ) for ten years and recently got the itch for water again after seeing a photo of a Gulf Star. Maybe this time.....

The Gulf Star is my favorite boat, has been since I saw my first one forty years ago. Had a lot of boats since both sail and power, but never seemed to cross paths with one at the right time. Been on dry land (Southern UT ) for ten years and recently got the itch for water again after seeing a photo of a Gulf Star. Maybe this time.....

Yes I like the lines. There are not a lot of the Mark 1's that come up and the ones that do seem to need a lot of work. The Mark 2 seems to come around a lot more often. Probably a lot more of them.
This one below looks to be in great condition. Has a lot if timber below decks, but, from the photos, it looks to be in great condition. The owners have done a fantastic job.

1975 Gulfstar 43 MKII Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Yes I like the lines. There are not a lot of the Mark 1's that come up and the ones that do seem to need a lot of work. The Mark 2 seems to come around a lot more often. Probably a lot more of them.
This one below looks to be in great condition. Has a lot if timber below decks, but, from the photos, it looks to be in great condition. The owners have done a fantastic job.

1975 Gulfstar 43 MKII Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Talk about six degrees of separation, that boat belongs to the best friend of a guy I went to high school with. I posted a pic on FB saying "I want" and he saw it on a mutual friends page. Sent me a bunch of pics bringing it from Michigan to the NHYC on the Hudson River, a club I used to a director of. Small world, especially in boating.

Was able to get down to the Exuma Park and check on the Monkey yesterday and am very happy to report she is safe and happy swinging on her old mooring.
Not so lucky for the owner of the sailboat down there though.
We only ended up with around 60+ knots for approx. over a 20 hour period.
It is strange to be hoping that the storms take a different path and then when they do and you realize that this just means hardships on so many others. Obviously our wishing has no affect on the path of the storms, but still it feels wrong.
There are of course another million+ heartaches out there. Wish it were a different scenario for all!
I don't want to post pics of the sailboat as I am still trying to find the owners.

Attachments

• Irma (1).JPG
    Irma (1).JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Irma (2).jpg
    Irma (2).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 124
That's a pretty boat, but then I'm a sucker for blue hulls.

Glad you and Bad Monkey did well in the storm. I wondered about you when they forecasters were the Bahamas were getting going to get pounded.

Just picked up a second hand SLK60P6L 245 W solar panel. At 21cents a watt I couldn't turn it down. An Island here in the Exunas has a lot of them for sale as they have upgraded all to a new type. This one tested to full output and for $60 I am a happy camper. If anyone is interested in any pm me and I will give you info.
I will measure up the Monkey when these storms are gone and I can get her back here and see if I can get 2 fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_4670.JPG
    IMG_4670.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4671.jpg
    IMG_4671.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 130
Sir, I am jealous. Quality panels around here are getting scarce and expensive, in the $500 to $700 for a 200+ watt name brand panel.

Well, when I find my Gulfstar, I'll know who to ask about anything. Good luck.

Stan, looks like Maria may give you a sideswipe. Hope she treats you and the Monkey gently.

Stan, looks like Maria may give you a sideswipe. Hope she treats you and the Monkey gently.

Well Maria missed which was a good thing as I was on a week holiday and would have had to cut it short if it had gotten any closer.
We have finally broken the drought here with great rain 2 nights ago.

Brought the Monkey back home yesterday and she is happy. I can tell!

Please Note:
Florida
Have just been told about a person who died and a couple of others who have had legs amputated. Direct result of walking around in flooded areas where the septic tanks had overflowed. I wouldn't even have thought of this - now I have ben warned.
Be careful as I know there is still a lot of flooding out there!

Capstan,

First, I'm glad you and the Monkey are alright.
Yes, every time I see people, be it citizens trying to help, kids playing in it, or first responders doing what they do...it makes me cringe.

We've been aware of this on our airboat rescue team for years, at least since Katrina. I am surprised that the organizations and powers that be, haven't made more noise about it before:( Frankly though, it was never brought to our attention in law enforcement or the CG Pre Katrina. Can't tell you how much stuff I waded through in storms here in the Bay area.

Think about it.
You have seawater and any pollutants it may hold, freshwater and the pollutants we know are there, as well as oil, diesel, gas, sewage and any number of biohazards including pesticides and insecticides and animal waste, and more, that were once on or more likely below ground, now floating on the surface and in the water.
We operate airboats and rarely need to get into the water. For those who do, they are pretty well protected. Then I see people pushing and dragging boats (and anything else that will float) through the floodwater, all great intentioned folks doing a heck of a job, yet not having a clue regarding the contaminants (not to mention the critters) that are lurking therein.
I hadn't heard about the deaths or amputations, but if you have a link to something would you mind sharing it please? I would like to share it with the rest of the SAR team including our HRD handlers, divers and animal rescue folks.

Thanks

OD

Capstan,

First, I'm glad you and the Monkey are alright.
Yes, every time I see people, be it citizens trying to help, kids playing in it, or first responders doing what they do...it makes me cringe.

We've been aware of this on our airboat rescue team for years, at least since Katrina. I am surprised that the organizations and powers that be, haven't made more noise about it before:( Frankly though, it was never brought to our attention in law enforcement or the CG Pre Katrina. Can't tell you how much stuff I waded through in storms here in the Bay area.

Think about it.
You have seawater and any pollutants it may hold, freshwater and the pollutants we know are there, as well as oil, diesel, gas, sewage and any number of biohazards including pesticides and insecticides and animal waste, and more, that were once on or more likely below ground, now floating on the surface and in the water.
We operate airboats and rarely need to get into the water. For those who do, they are pretty well protected. Then I see people pushing and dragging boats (and anything else that will float) through the floodwater, all great intentioned folks doing a heck of a job, yet not having a clue regarding the contaminants (not to mention the critters) that are lurking therein.
I hadn't heard about the deaths or amputations, but if you have a link to something would you mind sharing it please? I would like to share it with the rest of the SAR team including our HRD handlers, divers and animal rescue folks.

Thanks

OD

Hi OD,
Have sent an email to my friend that was telling me about these incidents. Will get back to you after I hear back from him. He just left here yesterday so it may be a day or two.

We were thinking of heading over to the Bahamas mid-February. Do you think the area would be ready for cruisers by then? It would be the first time over and still in the gathering information mode.

We were thinking of heading over to the Bahamas mid-February. Do you think the area would be ready for cruisers by then? It would be the first time over and still in the gathering information mode.

Hi,
For the most part the Bahamas is fine. I heard
Bimini got damaged. Freeport is still recovering from 3 years ago and the far South got smashed again!
Hope that helps a little.

Abacos are fine, no damage this year and Matthew's damage from last year is all cleaned up on Grand Bahama.

New member here...Wow what a job...boat looks mar va lous....have a GS 43 Mark II 1976 have had for 17 years..have gone through her just like you...have put 25,000 miles on her...great boats always get compliments...have perkins T6.354...get 4 gph @ 9kts..have for years..just installed 2 180w solar panels on the front rails..getting 150-170amps per day from them...again great boat

New member here...Wow what a job...boat looks mar va lous....have a GS 43 Mark II 1976 have had for 17 years..have gone through her just like you...have put 25,000 miles on her...great boats always get compliments...have perkins T6.354...get 4 gph @ 9kts..have for years..just installed 2 180w solar panels on the front rails..getting 150-170amps per day from them...again great boat

Welcome Restless!
Thank you for the positive comments. Have been off the forum for quite a while as we have had lots going on.
We have resigned our position here on Indigo in the Exumas and will finish in about 5 weeks. So have been busy with every spare moment trying too get more finished on the Monkey. Some pics attached. We put a clear coat over the bridge and hull and it made it look like I new paint job!
Still looking for that next job. 8.5 years is quite a stint out in these parts!

Had to moor the boat for a while and couldn't get back to her when a storm blew in. The lines jumped to one side of the bow sprit and snapped one S/S bolt and ripped the other through the hull and sheered the S/S capping through a weld. Fortunately the lines did not chaffe and the there was no damage to the hull! Sometimes you get lucky.:hide:

@5,000nm quite a nice travel itinerary I guess. Any pics of the solar panel install would be appreciated. Same engines and mileage as our Monkey.
We are looking forward to a few weeks taking back North and across to Ft. Lauderdale for a while, maybe North to Savannah if time permits.
Would love to see some pics of your boat?

Attachments

• Jan - feb 2018 (3).jpg
    Jan - feb 2018 (3).jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Jan - feb 2018 (4).jpg
    Jan - feb 2018 (4).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 126
  • Jan - feb 2018 (6).jpg
    Jan - feb 2018 (6).jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Jan - feb 2018 (7).jpg
    Jan - feb 2018 (7).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Jan - feb 2018 (8).jpg
    Jan - feb 2018 (8).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Jan - feb 2018 (9).jpg
    Jan - feb 2018 (9).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Jan - feb 2018 (1).jpg
    Jan - feb 2018 (1).jpg
    115 KB · Views: 109
  • Jan - feb 2018 (2).JPG
    Jan - feb 2018 (2).JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 112
Changed out the coolant in preparation for our exit from Indigo and our planned 2 week return to Lauderdale. All good and then when starting the port engine she sounded like she was running on 2 cylinders!
Pulled the cover and found that number 4 inlet and number 6 exhaust valve had stuck open, dropping the rod. Fortunately at this stage there doesn't seem to be any issues. Didn't bend the rods, (can't believe it) and we have freed #4 and #6 is nearly all the way back open. Still sticking a little near the top.
Anybody no of a relatively cheap Boroscope on the market? Will be in Lauderdale tomorrow so will pick up a new gasket and maybe a Boroscope. Obviously would like to have a look down there to see how things look.
Here's hoping all is well.
Very happy with how the Rotella T 15 W40 has cleaned the engines up. Considering how dirty they were when we got this boat, the amount of sea water and sludge that was running through them - what a difference!!!

Attachments

• Inlet and Exhaust.jpg
    Inlet and Exhaust.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 96
  • I @ E.JPG
    I @ E.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 94
Stan,
My experience with cheap scopes is that the quality of the image is pitiful. They look good when you see them in the store with plenty of light but when you stick them down an injector hole you can't tell what you are looking at. They may have gotten better in recent years. This was 3 or 4 years ago. I've held off buying one because of this and now it seems the urgent need to get one is not so urgent.

Keep us posted on your travels. If our paths cross, I'd like to meet you and get a closer look at what you've done to Bad Monkey. Considering all you've done, I'm pretty sure you won't let a stuck valve or two slow you down much.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom