View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #53
Insequent
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Posts discussing leadership are on the money. The military probably teaches leadership better than anyone, but clearly is not getting everything right. There are many skills a good leader needs to have, and to me a key one is judgement. That's not easy to teach - I think its something developed from a very young age, perhaps an innate personal trait that not everyone has. So what do the Officer Training schools do with those that really don't make the grade? Give them desk jobs, to develop procedures and do other admin where they are in the front line? My point here is that people behind desks should come under scrutiny now as well, it goes beyond some Captains to carry the can.

With 17 deaths in two collisions I don't think the military can keep the privilege of investigating and disciplining themselves. External eyes are needed. I don't know any of the young guys who died, or their families. But they had a right to return home safely after doing their jobs. I feel pretty upset by it. These vessels were doing pretty routine operations. If its a 'pressure cooker' during such deployment then some desk officers, who knows maybe even an admiral or two, need to understand some basic behaviour management requirements. One they could start with is 'accountability'. Every person needs to clearly understand their job. And know that they are accountable for any actions they take, or fail to take, in doing their job. It's not that complicated.

Ok, rant over. Our news tonight made reference to some kind of suspension of operations while assessments are made. Fine. A start. But anyone with kids serving, or potentially serving in the future expect and must get more than that.