Chain Size and Strength for KK54

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hoping this group may have some thoughts about proper chain size and type for my boat as I am going through a complete retrofit. I have two large rollers up from pushed far out from the boat so will be doing (2) 100lb anchors, a Spade and a Rocna however I can't seem to get a straight answer on chain.
Today I have 3/8" chain and an Ideal Windlass capable of doing 2,500 lbs. I believe the chain is BBB but whats odd is when I look at the HighTest chain at Fisheries here in Seattle it looks more like my chain with the longer link length.
Is there a specific calculation or chart to use to ensure proper chain sizing? I can buy a new wildcat but am hoping to use my current one if possible since I already have 330ft of chain and would like to simply add another 400 to the other side which is rode right now.
I believe my boat is about 70,000 displacement and certainly doesn't have low windage.

Also thoughts on HighTest versus BBB? I keep hearing that High Test Breaks due to the hardened nature of the steel versus BBB that bends and I have never heard of a chain breaking while someone was at anchor but you all have far more knowledge than I.

Thoughts on proper chain for my setup?

Thanks
Arthur

3/8 BBB should work, but if I was fitting her out from scratch, I would go with 3/8 HT. A 100 lb Rocna has more holding force than BBB can handle. Not that you may ever need it but you never know.

David

The folks at Ideal can help you with that; check out the link below or give them a call. Unless you really want to buy a new windla$$ wildcat, stick with what you have. I had an Ideal using 3/8 BBB which came OEM on my 56ft Hatteras MY, which had a lot of windage and weighed in at about 80,000 lbs loaded with all our stuff. Made it through fine some sustained (as in days) gale force stuff, and on a couple of occasions 60-70knot from microburst storms (which bent the heavy stainless stays on the bimini top).

https://www.schaefermarine.com/our-products/ideal-windlass/faqs-ideal-windlass/

Another good source for such recommendations is Hinz "Complete Book of Mooring and Anchoring". A little dated on anchor styles, but excellent on ground tackle and technique.

I think ideal makes a 3/8 bbb and HT combined wildcat, so if 3/8s high test is best maybe I do that plus the new wildcat.

The largest chain size you can purchase a gypsy for 7/16 HT at least,1/2 HT if possible.

Never met a cruiser that decided he wanted weaker chain.

On our 60 ft 65 tonner we run all chain 1/2 inch/13mm grade L with a 150lb manson supreme.
It has seen us through several 50+ and an 80+ storm with no issues and I sleep very well every night BUT if I was buying again and it was at all possible, I would be running 5/8th/16mm chain.

Chain weight is where its at IMHO and it doesn't work when its left in the locker.

Hoping this group may have some thoughts about proper chain size and type for my boat as I am going through a complete retrofit. I have two large rollers up from pushed far out from the boat so will be doing (2) 100lb anchors, a Spade and a Rocna however I can't seem to get a straight answer on chain.
Today I have 3/8" chain and an Ideal Windlass capable of doing 2,500 lbs. I believe the chain is BBB but whats odd is when I look at the HighTest chain at Fisheries here in Seattle it looks more like my chain with the longer link length.
Is there a specific calculation or chart to use to ensure proper chain sizing? I can buy a new wildcat but am hoping to use my current one if possible since I already have 330ft of chain and would like to simply add another 400 to the other side which is rode right now.
I believe my boat is about 70,000 displacement and certainly doesn't have low windage.

Also thoughts on HighTest versus BBB? I keep hearing that High Test Breaks due to the hardened nature of the steel versus BBB that bends and I have never heard of a chain breaking while someone was at anchor but you all have far more knowledge than I.

Thoughts on proper chain for my setup?

Thanks
Arthur

As others have noted, no one seems to regret having stronger chain. The weight of the chain is a critical factor in anchoring because it provides catenary. Heavy chain coupled with a nice stretchy snub line that dramatically reduces the snatch loading on the hook and vessel will keep you safe. You'll have to talk to Ideal about whether they are cool with their unit lifting 1/2" chain, but that in the H/T metallurgy is what I would opt for. And rather than working with two anchors, why not get something a bit bigger for a primary anchor? Dealing with two anchors is a pain, although carrying a secondary like a Fortress that can be stowed below until needed certainly makes sense. By way of reference, Delfin is 55' and would have less windage than a KK (I assume) and we carry a 176# primary anchor on 400' of 1/2 chain pulled by a Maxwell 4000 # windlass, snubbed with 30' of 5/8 octo plait.

I have 5/16 or 3/8 triple B. Works great in Alaska. I have 550 feet on board. I have a 48ft boat.

If folks worry about the weight of the chain , they can simply do what sailors do.

Move the windlass as far aft as the deck layout permits and carry the weight closer to amidships .

I'm going to Ask Ideal about moving to 1/2, as for 2 anchors I have space so figured it's worth it to have a ready backup especially considering I have some rather remote destinations in Alaska planned for next year.

I run an all chain rode in Alaska, Make sure you service your windlass.......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom