The Adventure Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

I have posted a couple times here, just in an inquisitive nature, but now things are serious. My wife and I looked at a 1977 Eagle 36 last weekend and we both fell in love with it. Interior is IMMACULATE. Did I mention the interior was really pristine? The outside wood isn't bad either, i.e. no peeling, discoloration etc.. Needs a top side buff and wax.

I'm going to look at it again, the broker is going to start it up and let me flip switches and the like. I was a marine mechanic in my younger years, had my own business, but it was all small stuff, outboards, IO's and the like. For the past 4 years I have become a sailboat rigger/mechanic (because we own a 32' sailboat). So, not having actually touched or worked on something as big as this beast, any and all information you can share with me for my next "viewing" would be appreciated. Just the quick, important stuff that would help me with the first purchase "offer". Thanks!

Dave

My survey today

Hi All,

The adventure really starts today. I take my flashlight, mirror and notepad to the boat (along with my laser temp gun) to have an good look. I've learned so much from this forum, I thank you all for sharing. The engine is obvious, but from what I read unless a Lehman is downright neglected, it will be around for awhile. The boat has been in a boat house for the past who knows how many years, so right now it's dry... :ermm: but I hope I access enough to see the FUEL TANKS!!!

Let you know how it goes. - Dave

Good luck...keep us posted!

That boat is at a very good price point, but a bad engine can kill any economies. And even Lehman's can have problems. So do a mini survey while you are onboard.

The engine should start right up with only a few seconds of cranking. After it starts a bit of white smoke is ok but should settle down after it warms up. A big cloud of smoke after an extended cranking period is a pretty good indicator of a worn engine.

Check fluids before and after running. Check for water in oil and oil in coolant.

If you go out on the water, run the engine up to wot and watch temp gauge for overheating. WOT rpm should be at least 2,400.

Those are the basics and should give you some confidence that you have a good engine if they all check out ok.

David

Good luck. We have 2 SP225 Ford Lehman's. Love them.

offer accepted

Hi All,

Well Friday went very well... darn near. Most importantly, inspected the fuel tanks which are directly amidship, aft of the engine and trans. They are side to side, so they meet at the ship centerline. NO RUST anywhere, no evidence of someone trying to clean them off. Just many years of dirt. They also have 2 8" inspection plates each. Not the prettiest engine room in the world, no pretty white boards with valves and plumbing, but it's all there.

So I'm checking out the engine... started right up, no blue exhaust, or white exhaust, warmed up ok, all seemed good... until I saw the dates on the oil filters and the fuel filters. Several years old. :facepalm:

I made an offer and then later that day recinded the offer until a complete engine serving was performed at the owners expense. Thought that was the end of the deal, wife and I were pretty bumbed. We've been looking at trawlers for over 2 years and never came close to the condition of this boat.

Saturday our broker called and said the owner was paying for a complete engine service to include the Raycores. THEN, he went up a little from my offer, and we accepted. So... this week while we're in Bend Oregon on vacation with family, a full service is being done. After that, we are planning the haul out, pressure wash, survey and sea trial. :)

Dave

Keep us updated and of course pictures

Dave,

Have you got a a survey team yet? And where is the boat? Maybe I missed that.

We dock our boat in Portland at Salpare Bay but wont be back until October.

If we can help any, PM me.

Cheers!

Interesting demanding a servicing, I too would have thought the owner would tell you to walk...

Interesting demanding a servicing, I too would have thought the owner would tell you to walk...

Why? An engine survey is a good idea, and who pays for it is just a negotiating issue. For example, it sounds like in this case the seller said he would do the survey if the buyer woukd increase the price. Seems to me like everyone was reasonable.

Why? An engine survey is a good idea, and who pays for it is just a negotiating issue. For example, it sounds like in this case the seller said he would do the survey if the buyer woukd increase the price. Seems to me like everyone was reasonable.

My wife and I were very happy with the results of our negotiations. Sure, I could have taken it and did the service myself... but the broker hired a desiel company to do the service (the owner is paying for it). It's all relative, but I might take over a boat with no time on the service, one less thing to worry about for the rest of this season. :)

The owners increase over my offer was a no brained for us. We went in at 80%, he went up another 5.

Dave

Must be the way I type, I never said not to get an engine survey.

This is from the original OP: "until I saw the dates on the oil filters and the fuel filters. Several years old"

First not really sure what several years old, but making a owner service before even committing to buying is just unusual.

My wife and I were very happy with the results of our negotiations. Sure, I could have taken it and did the service myself... but the broker hired a desiel company to do the service (the owner is paying for it). It's all relative, but I might take over a boat with no time on the service, one less thing to worry about for the rest of this season. :)

The owners increase over my offer was a no brained for us. We went in at 80%, he went up another 5.

Dave

Are you talking engine service or engine survey or both? You seem to be using the words interchangeably and have confused me.

spelling

diesel :blush: I ought to know how to spell that.

Are you talking engine service or engine survey or both? You seem to be using the words interchangeably and have confused me.

Just an engine service. Sorry for the confusion. The PO hasn't used the boat in some time on the water, just visited it in the boat house.

Is it the green Eagle on C dock?

Fred P...........

Is it the green Eagle on C dock?

Fred P...........

Hi Fred,

We're in Shelter Bay. The Eagle we're looking at is a Taiwanese, it's up in Bellingham and it's got blue trim.

Last edited:
IMG_1087.jpgIMG_1084.jpg
As I saw her last week.

Good price. How does she run?

When do you bring it home?

Fred

Good Luck with your purchase.
Personally I wouldn't worry about the dates on the filters, as you describe the boat it's not been used for a couple of years. When you started it there were no bad signs.The owner was straight enough to service the motors for you so I wouldn't get myself in a tizz over it.
We wish you many years happy cruising, fair winds and safe harbours.

Hi All,

Progressing along. Our haul out, survey and sea trial is next Wednesday. We took our sailboat to Anacortes yesterday for brokerage.:( Spent 2 days cleaning her up and wiping down all the interior woodwork. Lots of memories. Sad to let her go, but excited about moving up in size and comfort.

Dave

Hi All,

The survey, haul out and sea trial went without a hitch yesterday... found some safety items (wrong fire extinguishers, no CO2 detector, batteries not tied down in the home made box). The statement was "pretty typical looking Taiwanese trawler that is 40 years old. Drove well, radio worked, autopilot worked well. The Admiral was crazy excited. All her fears about "biggness" were settled.

However... While in the aft hole (rudder post and water tank area), the good surveyor was doing his tap test on the transom. About amidships and 1' above the bottom to just above the waterline and 1' to either side... the old hammer made a disturbing sound. It was just off pitch, not a dull (there's really something wrong here) thud. When we took the boat out of the water, we found the smoking gun. The exhaust through hull flanges and hardware were solid rust and 2 of the 3 swim platform mounting arms, all the hardware were blobs of blue growth. The surveyor didn't think much of it.

The dripless shaft seal is beyond warranted life, so I was going to haul the boat for that and while it's out, replace all the hardware on the transome. Question for you trawler owners that know.... how thick is this transom glass and do you think it's a must fix, I.e. rebuild the transom in that one location?

I've got a week to ponder this. Yesterday I dropped $775 to get you this report. :blush:

Rest of the boat especially the interior is that "one of a kind" find, (around here anyway).

Dave

Hi All,

I guess I could say she's ours. We completed papers last night with the notary and wired the funds. :) Next Saturday we get the keys and then the trip home to La Conner next Sunday.

Congratulation Dave, cannot wish you more than enjoy her every second of your life :)

Congratulation. When our boat gets out of the shop, maybe we can cruise the two of them to one or two of the islands.

Fred P................

Back
Top Bottom