Blogs. What we'd like to see. Why we write them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
This is out of a thread Seavee started, so inspired by him. It's a thread not to criticize, but to simply answer the following.

Why do you read blogs?
What do you hope to learn or gain from them?
What do you wish there was more of?
What do you wish there was less of?
What would make them better in your mind?
What blog comes closest to your ideal blog?
If you don't blog yourself, why not?

Why do you write blogs?
What do you hope to share in them?
What do you want them to be?
What do you want them not to be?
Does writing a blog add to your pleasure or detract from your boating?
What is more work than it's worth?
If you could change something in your own blogging, what would it be?

For both blog readers and bloggers,

What do you consider essential to a good blog aimed at readers like those on TF.

I read blogs to get a sense of what cruising in the specific areas I'm interested in , and in the same "type" of boat I have are like.

For example the trials and tribulations of a cruiser along the west coast is interesting to me. How long did they wait in a port for weather? What was the harbor like, how hard it was to get a widget they needed, how was the resturauant... That kind of thing is interesting.

The dry ones where they in three sentences tell that they made ity to XXX port, or the two paragraphs that describe auant mildreds christmas party in ohio dont interest me.

Now describe the potluck at ABC harbor, or the neat place they saw in Santa Cruz, yes that is interesting.

I'm sorry, but since its beyond my ability to dream, the descriptions of Tahiti aboard your 3.6 million dollar expedition yacht are not interesting to me. Not because its not interesting, but because I cannot picture myself doing that.

Last edited:
Why I read boating blogs
  1. Entertainment. I enjoy stories and pictures of boats and boating.
  2. Dreaming. I enjoy reading about places that I plan to boat to, or that I'd love to do but probably never will.
  3. Education. I'll sometimes find a blog by googling a project or problem

Why I write a blog
  1. Captain's Log. Basically this, fundamentally.
  2. Convenience. I can type faster than I can write and in our boating we almost always have some device with a keyboard available.
  3. Sharing. To let friends and family share in our adventures. If someone else cares, great.
  4. Posterity. I probably read more of my old posts than anyone.

Now, recently I've been remiss in keeping my blog current, but we also haven't done as much boating as we'd like.

And if you'd permit me, I'll share my blog here and feel free to give feedback on what works, and what doesn't. Seriously, I'm interested.
m/v C:\[ESC]

Last edited:
Read blogs to learn from other people experiences (and mistakes). Started one since I got my boat, but always something else to do than updating it so not a good sign. Goal was to share what I found that may benefit someone else in the same situation.

L.

For us, we do the blog thing mainly as a record keeping devise. It does require a lot of work by the Admiral and when we are actively cruising updating is difficult because of Wi-Fi access.

If we were to start again, we would probably get our own domain name. This would allow us to work on the posts as a document, then cut and paste directly to the site. Then, once you have wifi, you could upload in just a few minutes.

By using a blog server you limit yourself to the extent of the service. A very time consuming process when we are in port with wifi, especially when your reprovisioning, cleaning and boat repairs at the same time.

That's our story, and were sticking to it.

If by chance, your sitting in the "Tech Library" with time on your side, please visit ours.

Cheers!

Just a suggestion from a non-blogger. Maybe the TF bloggers that want to share can put a link to their blog in their signature? That way forgetful folks like me can easily find them as I am reminded.

Much of our boating adventures end up on our website(s) and some on YouTube. We originally began with esmeralde.net to document the building of our Sabre 386 sailboat. It morphed into a kind of online record of our adventures. Then we began recording videos that were uploaded to YouTube. Most of this was for our family and friends benefit as many of them are not boaters.
With the new boat we began a new site utilizing a domain we owned from our now retired business. New web technology led us to our current place.
Again, it is mostly for the benefit of friends and family.
I have no idea who else reads Dorsey's posts but I know that I certainly do. For me personally, reading about our adventures is like reliving them.
I love having them.
Bruce

Just a suggestion from a non-blogger. Maybe the TF bloggers that want to share can put a link to their blog in their signature? That way forgetful folks like me can easily find them as I am reminded.

Thanks Dave, Modified ours

Much of our boating adventures end up on our website(s) and some on YouTube. We originally began with esmeralde.net to document the building of our Sabre 386 sailboat. It morphed into a kind of online record of our adventures. Then we began recording videos that were uploaded to YouTube. Most of this was for our family and friends benefit as many of them are not boaters.
With the new boat we began a new site utilizing a domain we owned from our now retired business. New web technology led us to our current place.
Again, it is mostly for the benefit of friends and family.
I have no idea who else reads Dorsey's posts but I know that I certainly do. For me personally, reading about our adventures is like reliving them.
I love having them.
Bruce

Wifey B: We read all of Dorsey's writings from Lobstermen to dumb hubby's who don't wear proper footwear to the woods. :rofl:

To answer BandB, I'd like to see more photos illustrating what's in the blogger's text. But the text needs to useful to me. A picture of your Shrimp Scampi isn't really useful.

Or this?

BTW, the signatures don't show up if viewing TF on an IOS app. Likely not an Android app as well. You can see them if you click on the post and select "web view".

BTW, the signatures don't show up if viewing TF on an IOS app. Likely not an Android app as well. You can see them if you click on the post and select "web view".

Interesting to know. So, neither does your link in your signature.

Looked at all of the above blogs, and all were interesting.....
Like pix and info on the boats.
Also, a map would be a great reference.

mattkab, on your first ever tow, was it the starter that caused the problem?

Don't read blogs and don't participate in Twitter and such social internet sites except for TF and sometimes C&S. Pretty much otherwise, my mind/time is too busy or resting. Have my own life to live.

I love travel stories whether entire books, short stories, or blog posts. A travel blog generates interest in me for visiting the new places also I like to read back over them to remind me of how I felt when I was there. Some folks here on TrawlerForum give you the excellent writing, photography, travel tips and entertaining insight.

Create long-form content, use images, add emotional words to trigger reactions, carry out keyword research, promote your blog via social media. The beauty of the Internet is that you don't have to leave home to make connections then put a linked contact form in a page.

Last edited:
I read blogs of areas where I've been or where I'm planning on going. I wouldn't really care about a blog from CA or Mexico, but if you're travelling up and down the USA east coast or the great loop I would find it interesting and probably read it.

The thing that bugs me and turns me off about most blogs is, they appear in reverse order so if you're not reading them in real time you gave to try to find the first day, read that, look for the next day, read that, and so forth. They are very difficult to follow.

Some folks have a good writing style, like telling a story. Some do not. That makes a difference as well.

Why do I write a blog? It's not a "blog" as such. I had a Facebook "group" of friends from our marina at the time. We would post boating stuff on it. The first day we set out on what was to be a several hundred mile, month long trip, that evening a good friend posted wondering where we were.

Rather than just saying where we were, I wrote a detailed account of our first day; where we went, what we saw, where we ended up, etc. with a little humor thrown in.

The reaction from group members was good enough that I started writing every day. Rather than writing in Facebook, I wrote in MS Word and copied and pasted each day's writing to Facebook so at the end of the trip I had a single document with 31 or so "chapters", one for each day. I also had several hundred digital photos and had posted many of these on Facebook as well.

Once we got home, I had the bright idea of making the document into two columns and double sided like a book. I inserted a couple photos on each page, added front and back covers and printed the whole thing to show friends and relatives who weren't on Facebook.

I've done this for every extended cruise since and I'm up to number 8 or 9 by now.

I've since added non-boating friends and relatives to the Facebook group and I've put the books on the Internet for friends and others to read.

I sometimes read them myself just to relive my adventures.

mattkab, on your first ever tow, was it the starter that caused the problem?

Definitely need to write a followup on this issue.

The starter was the problem in this particular case, but I had been fighting electrical issues on and off for over two years:
I replaced my alternator because it wasn't working
I had this issue with the starter
I had to replace my house bank (lead acid) as they were all dry
My bow thruster sometimes didn't have enough amps to run, or would throw the circuit protection

And then I had this issue:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/starter-issues-26966.html
Short Synopsis: After rebuilding the starter, we were working on the boat and my wife saw smoke coming from the are of the starter. I immediately shut down, but there was still an electrical motor running. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop -- battery terminals were too hot to touch.

Fast forward a few weeks of diagnosis, and it was discovered that the 3-bank Xantrax battery charger that we had was faulty, and would "randomly" combine circuits, running 24 (or even 36) volts through the system. We didn't diagnose the why -- but after replacing the unit, all my electrical problems have gone away.

A sample day's post from a recent trip:

Captain’s Log, day four (April 23, 2017)
We don’t want this to turn into a boat repair blog but if we’re going to tell it like it is, we have to tell it like it is.
Our boat, being considerably smaller than Donald Trump’s yacht, has what is called a “wet head”. This means that the shower, toilet and sink are in the same compartment and the sink faucet lifts out and becomes the shower head. This saves space but means that to take a shower you have to remove everything that’s not in a cabinet, shower, wipe everything dry and move all the “stuff” back in. There’s also a hot and cold shower in the cockpit (the open back of the boat) so showering there, the water goes down the drain and the sun and wind dry everything. Whenever we’re out of sight of other people, this is where we shower.
When we woke up this morning, the current had turned HIGH COTTON to where the cockpit was facing the marsh, away from anyone so Captain Ron decided this would be a good time to take a shower. He got his soap and shampoo, washcloth and towel and went out to shower.
Problem – No hot water. Not that the water wasn’t hot, no water came out when the ‘hot” faucet was turned on. This can’t be, he thought so after a short study of the situation, he removed all the extra food and supplies from under the galley sink to reveal a valve that had been accidentally turned off. He turned it on, gathered his supplies and got his refreshing shower. OK, maybe that’s not a “repair” but something didn’t work, something was done and that solved the problem.
Our anchorage last night was fine once the local boats went to wherever they go. We did have one party boat go by with the stereo on about 1:00 AM but that’s not unusual. The downside of this anchorage is, being close to the city and with the docks having lights on them, it wasn’t as dark as we would have liked. It is secure and protected though.
We got underway relatively early, considering the shower incident. South of Thunderbolt there are many high end waterfront neighborhoods and as we have grown to expect, endless unnecessary no-wake zones. After ten miles or so, we were out of the suburbs and out of civilization.
When many folks hear the term “Intracoastal Waterway”, they think the government dug a canal from Virginia to Florida, sort of an “I 95” for boats. That’s not the case. Mostly, the ICW is made up of natural creeks, rivers and bays or sounds heading generally south with short canals or “cuts” connecting them together. This is especially true in Georgia where the creeks and rivers wind back and forth in endless “S” curves. A boat heading south on the ICW could be heading south, east or west at any given time. North even, for short distances.
We were underway for nearly eight hours today, winding back and forth. We didn’t see as many small boats today but we saw a lot of the “snowbirders” heading back to their summer homes. They must have thought we were lost!
Again, we came upon lots of dolphins or “big fishies” as the ship’s puppy knows them. One swam alongside us for a while and she was the first to notice. Patti saw a couple large turtles as well but they went back down before anyone else could see them. We also have entered the territory of the infamous Georgia green flies. Patti broke out the fly swatter and she is not afraid to use it.
We caught up with our “friends” with the tugs and dredging equipment again. They travel at about two knots but they run continuously so each time we stop for the night they get ahead of us again. This time they were in a relatively wide spot so after failing to raise them on the marine radio, we used the standard horn signal and went on by. Two other boats behind us eventually did the same as well.
We forgot to mention that a couple days ago, our Master Card company called to say there had been a fraudulent attempt to use our card in North Carolina so they put a hold on the card until they can send us a replacement. Well, that’s fine except for the moment, we have no fixed address. We have a good Discover Card but not all places take Discover Cards. We’ll have to figure out when we will stay at a marina for a couple days and call and have it sent there.
About 4:00 PM we pulled off the ICW to an anchorage on the Crescent River. We’re just a couple hundred yards west of the ICW. A large motor yacht went on past us and anchored a quarter mile or so away.
Dinner tonight will be tomatoes, cucumbers and mozzarella cheese with balsamic dressing. Reservations have been made for the Jekyll Harbor Marina for tomorrow night. Restaurant, pool showers, the works. Florida is a couple more days away.

Interesting thread, as I'm contemplating a blog for my upcoming boat. As my boat will be new, I don't plan on having a ton of equipment issues that I would write about.

As to CDreamer's comment about scampi, I get tons of good feedback on my facebook food pics. I think my main motivation would be allowing friends and family to see what we are up to, along with helping out fellow cruisers.

I did a daily photographic blog for five years (Dream Tomorrow, Live Today, Cherish Yesterday) and the people I met through blogging really did change my life.

My favorite blogs/posts are about cruising grounds, particularly in the PNW where I am. The discussions about anchorages, difficult passages, various kinds of tips are great. I recall one where the whole post was about catching some fish in Alaska, then grabbing some glacial ice for drinks. Great motivation for me to experience same.

Pretty much anything that will help me get experience, be safer, that kind of thing.

Just a data point... not really sure what it means...

But my little personal blog gets well over 700 visitors a month, and over 1000 page views. And has for over 3 years, even as my rate of posting has fallen off dramatically.

stats.png

Last edited:
JustBob - I completely agree that Facebook is the right place for your family to view pix of your dinner.

I like to see pictures and hear about interesting places. When problems occur I want to learn the best way to solve them. I tend to read east coast USA blogs. There is a lot left to explore here. Things have changed so much since I was travelling the seaboard it is mostly all new vistas.

Civilization sure has spread out.

As for me I am having the most fun aboard Seaweed. This is the best life. I love life, my Seaweed and Skipper too.

I started my website at the suggestion of an online friend. He had read some of my posts on various forums and said I should post on Facebook. Well, I am not a Facebook person and their TOS (Terms Of Service) state they own all content. No. Make that"Heck NO!"

So I started uploading to my website. It's been nearly four years so far. I believe my writing has improved. For certain the photographs have gotten much larger, layout is better, etc. I am still polishing my craft. As long as it is fun, I will continue to do so.

You are invited to visit.
Janice aboard Seaweed, trawler cruising on a nickel budget...

SkipperAndIGoBy.jpg

Truly I am blessed. This is a wonderful life.

Back
Top Bottom