Storing impellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not in a gasoline powered boat, I hope. Diesel would be fine.

I keep my spare impellers in the box they came in. The box is in a plastic (similar to Tupperware) box with other spare parts in the engine compartment.

Diesel and gas outboards in my case - I do not remember owning a gas inboard but I am sure I had at one time.

Having twins I keep 8 new impellers and 5 foe the generator. Yes I try to use an old one and replace it with a new purchased one. I ven been known to save the best looking of old ones just in case. My nemesis for impellers is plastic bags.

Learn me a little here...8 impellers seems like a lot to me. That of course is 4 per engine. Why so many? How often do you change them?

FB

A new impeller every year approx 200 hrs - 250 hrs. The extras are just in case. I travel to the Bahamas and they are hard to find there. One trip I used three replacements. Better to have them and not need them than to not have them.

Wow, three failed impellers? That alone would worry me. But given the more remote waters, I can certainly see why you would want extra spares.

Wow, three failed impellers? That alone would worry me. But given the more remote waters, I can certainly see why you would want extra spares.

I'd look for another source for my impellers too, go back to OEM if not using it.

Dave and BandB

Yes, I always use OEM impellers. If they were big and took a lot of room I might not carry as many but it's cheap insurance. A friend ruined two impellers before he realized his pump housing was bad and destroying impellers with just a few seconds of use.

Dave: I've replace the impeller on 3 occasions over 5 years and the old ones look fine. I keeps the old ones as spares. I think some of the problems people have on the east coast are less likely here. I think they have some issues with rapid fouling as well as pickup of sand.

Keep a spare impeller, new if you like, or keeps some old ones. Relax! Don't worry! Have a home brew!

Jim

You don't want to use a shop vac in the engine room on a gas powered boat due to gas fumes. The shop vac can and do explode. Boat/US has many cases of just that.

ComoD

Most of us here have Diesels not gas engines so spark probably is not a major concern.

Just my SSO.

You don't want to use a shop vac in the engine room on a gas powered boat due to gas fumes. The shop vac can and do explode. Boat/US has many cases of just that.

If there are gasoline fumes in enough concentration to explode by a vac turning on while it's in its operator's hands... then... the operator is unfortunately damn dumb to begin with. :facepalm:

I would love a link to the nimber of explosions causeed by shop vacs in bilges that were being used for regular things other than sucking up gasoline.

My guess is near zero.

I would love a link to the nimber of explosions causeed by shop vacs in bilges that were being used for regular things other than sucking up gasoline.

My guess is near zero.

Thank you. My experienced boater friend.

It is incorrect for inaccurate fears/stories/guesses to be spread around about items having useful capabilities aboard boats [tools or otherwise].

If you were really worried about that ( explosion caused by vac )...you could keep the little shop vac in the salon and just run the hose down into the engine room. Usually the hoses on those things are 6-8 feet long.

Thank you. My experienced boater friend.

It is incorrect for inaccurate fears/stories/guesses to be spread around about items having useful capabilities aboard boats [tools or otherwise].

Huge difference in general vacuuming in thr bilge and actually vacuuming flammable liquids.

If my bilge was that full of gasoline fumes to csuse an explosion, and I was down there with a vacuum worried about impellsr pieces.....I deserve what I get.

Last edited:
Read Seaworthy published by Boat/US. It has actual cases of insurance claims in it. There have been claims for shop vacs exploding when vacuuming the bilge in gas powered boats. And it doesn't matter if the vac is in the bilge or in the salon, the fumes, if present, will be sucked into the motor and any spark inside the motor will set it off. Don't take my word, ask Boat/US. The question was why not to us a shop vac in a gas powered boat, I didn't say anything about a diesel.

Huge difference in general vacuuming in thr bilge and actually vacuuming flammable liquids.

If my bilge was that full of gasoline fumes to csuse an explosion, and I was down there with a vacuum worried about impellsr pieces.....I deserve what I get.

The only instance I can see where there maybe could be a problem is if the person using vacuum had lost all sense of olfactory capabilities. There are some who do loose the sense of smell. That said, if one had lost the sense of smell... then it would only be logical to have fully [like for 20 minutes or more before starting vacuum] changed the air in engine compartment by activating bilge blower.

I mentioned in a post quite some time ago: If I did lose my sense of smell that I would immediately sell my gasoline powered inboard boat - Immediately for sure. Luckily I have a very active olfactory nerve system... some times too active - Phyoo! - LOL

Not saying it couldn't happen but it would need many things to align. Insurance claims are not the best indicators of the truth. I agree with Scott, these claims are not common and may be a ruse to collect insurance money.

I did read Boat US info...the only one I saw was a guy vacuuming his gas fuel tank....and a few trying to vacuum up gasoline...no mention of "present vapors".

Anyone have the link to this new global threat?

I did find this in Seaworthy....the way I read ot, it doesn't say dont use one, just not if you smell vapors present.... if it was don't use one ever in a gas boat, the warning would be more specific and stronger. So I don't believe the insurance thing until I see a link. Plus my brain knows better anyhow.

"
Bilge Busting Tips
By Tom Neale

A wet/dry vacuum cleaner, such as a Shop-Vac (tm) is a great tool for bilge maintenance. You can pour bilge cleaners down there all day long, but they won’t take care of everything, and sometimes end up smelling worse than the bilge water. An occasional cleaning with a Shop-Vac, using the extensions (such as the crevice wand) can dry your bilge almost completely, pick up grime and dirt, and even suck up most of the wildlife that’s lurking down there. It’ll also help to ward off bilge blister. Yep, in some fiberglass boats it’s possible to get them down there if it’s wet enough long enough. Then you’ve got outside blisters working through to meet inside blisters. This is a union that’s not made in heaven.

Always follow the manufacture’s instructions and warnings when you use any tool. Don’t use a wet/dry vacuum or any other electric tool aboard if there is gasoline or other explosive gasses in the bilge or elsewhere open."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom