Bleuvet rejuvenation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Looking good M. L_t. How about this instead? (Members please note the alcohol content).

IMG_0940-605x403.jpg

This is brewed in Mr. L_t's home province (Quebec) about a 2 hour drive from where I think he lives...

Greetings,
Looking good M. L_t. How about this instead? (Members please note the alcohol content).

IMG_0940-605x403.jpg

This is brewed in Mr. L_t's home province (Quebec) about a 2 hour drive from where I think he lives...

Got some of this one in the past but at 9 degres it is almost a wine, better to have one after the workday or the table will more look like a rocking chair :D
I prefer something lighter and more refreshing. But in winter this one is good to keep you warm and going!
In the past they also had some "special edition" at 10 and 11% of alcohol, that was really not for kids!

L.

Another day at the wood butcher shop, again a rainy day.
Started by working on my led light support to go above the galley counter top, it will be made of a piece of mahogany with a rabbet in which will come a led bar and a like rocker switch on the side:

1. Raw unfinished rabbeted support
IMG_20170606_113328.jpg IMG_20170606_113339.jpg

2. How it will look with led stripe and switch:
IMG_20170606_113425.jpg

3. First coat of finish:
IMG_20170606_153114.jpg

Than it was time to do a bit of sanding of pieces that will make the cooktop support and play a bit more with the holy juice to assemble everything:
IMG_20170606_153150.jpg

Finally first coat of cetol marine on the top BBQ (grill) support:IMG_20170606_153200.jpg IMG_20170606_154348.jpg IMG_20170606_154404.jpg

L.

Yesterday was boat day, with the sun shining we took a little break from the house and went to get some job done on the boat.
The goal was to install the propane lines from aft deck to where will reside the exterior cooktop/bbq(grill) combo and the inside galley cooktop.
I used electric PVC box for the through wall where the hoses are going out on the flybridge.20170608_165155.jpg 20170608_165353.jpg
It is a perfect fit for the size of the hole I needed. Moreover having the hose going out from the bottom will prevent water leak with the water drop following the hose. The white wire is for the solenoid that will be connected to the tank.
Hoses and wire will go in a pvc pipe that will run under my aft deck bench to the tank.
I did the same with a smaller box where the propane hose will go out of the wall where the bbq/cooktop combo will be.
20170608_165220.jpg

Then it was time to built the combo support using SS tubing. I first modified some railing that were there but badly done. Tube where not of right length so the rail was not straight. I cut the tubes to the right length to get everythng back straight then added reinforcement pieces on which will be fixed the combo.
20170608_165409.jpg

L.

Greetings,
Mr. 2288. Thanks for the clarification. My comment regarding Mr. L_t's description of his "grill" as a BBQ was from having been corrected by a number of "Good Old Boys" when we spent time in NC.

Nice work, Lou!

BTW, PVC takes paint very well. Sand the 'flash', casting marks, off.

Nice work, Lou!

BTW, PVC takes paint very well. Sand the 'flash', casting marks, off.

Indeed it is in my plans to paint these box white (when time will permit during summer), didn't think to sand out the casting marks though, thank you for the idea!

L.

Here is a picture of the cooktop/bbq/grill combo I built in mahogany. Not totally finished but it is there. Still need to add a stainless still plate where to put cutlery when dirty, a lock to lock it closed when underway and finalize the cooktop gaz fitting but we are almost there.
I think I may add another level with a drawer at the bottom where to store all the BBQ stuff la fork, matches etc.

L.

Just realized pics attachment did not work so here they are :blush: :

20170614_175521.jpg
20170614_175537.jpg

L.

Finally I got the propane installation done. Changed the fittings on the cooktop, installed the cooktop and support in the galley and connected everything. Tested it with soapy water and everything was fine.
The mahogany support in the galley was necessary to give me enough room under the cooktop to do the connection as the fridge is just below.

20170708_175721.jpg
20170708_175746.jpg

The white wire in the back will be used to connect a switch to the solenoid valve on the propane tank (still to be done).

Yesterday we cooked outside I love it, no more headache with portable appliance.

20170708_193818.jpg
20170708_193838.jpg
20170708_193857.jpg

L.

That remote solenoid activated tap at the cylinder is a very good added safety feature Lou. Definitely fit that up. I did that on our set-up, so every time we finish using the burners we switch it off, and then we don't have to worry about clambering up to the fly-bridge locker every time to turn the cylinder off. Of course you need to check the integrity of the joins between the cylinder and the solenoid valve with your soapy water from time to time - especially after you have disturbed it with a cylinder change or refill. :thumb:

That remote solenoid activated tap at the cylinder is a very good added safety feature Lou. Definitely fit that up. I did that on our set-up, so every time we finish using the burners we switch it off, and then we don't have to worry about clambering up to the fly-bridge locker every time to turn the cylinder off... :thumb:
Good idea Lou.
Peter, the IG has a valve in the main cabin so you can turn off the supply to the galley when finished. Not as safe as Lou`s setup, but it is convenient.

That remote solenoid activated tap at the cylinder is a very good added safety feature Lou. Definitely fit that up. I did that on our set-up, so every time we finish using the burners we switch it off, and then we don't have to worry about clambering up to the fly-bridge locker every time to turn the cylinder off. Of course you need to check the integrity of the joins between the cylinder and the solenoid valve with your soapy water from time to time - especially after you have disturbed it with a cylinder change or refill. :thumb:

Indeed, I am a lazy guy so I don't want to go up and down all the time to shutoff the propane, especially when it is raining outside. I will still shutdown it at the cylinder when I leave the boat.

L.

Indeed, I am a lazy guy so I don't want to go up and down all the time to shutoff the propane, especially when it is raining outside. I will still shutdown it at the cylinder when I leave the boat.

L.

That's what we do. On when we leave the dock, and off when we get back in.

Another weekend working (a bit) on the boat.
Installed new wooden blind in the aft cabin, I was fed up of being woke up at 5AM by the sun.
Removed the window in the head to redo the caulking, a dirty but necessary job. I was a bit surprised by the window quality. They are Bomon brand windows, which is a well respected brand here, but I was suprised to see that they were made of 2 aluminium rims screwed one into the other and taking the boat wall in sandwich. I was believing that the screws were going through the boat wall but no just screwed in the external rim. Does not look very solid to me but I guess that like everything else I m overseeing this :) Anyway now things have been cleaned with solvent to removed old glue/caulking, than used Sikaflex 291 LOT for caulking and put the window back on. Will test it in few days using a the hose to ensure everything is watertight.
This allowed me to see that the aft part is made of a sandwich of plywood and FB, 1/2 inch thick, looked solid.
Finally I started to replace my thruster command on the flybridge. The PO used a simple on-off-on switch which was small and started to rust, I am replacing it with a 2 way joystick like this one, at least it is waterproof and bigger in the hand:
$_12.JPG

Of course as usually I was missing some tools that I forgot home so the install will be finished at next visit!

L.

Today the small enhancement to the flybridge dashboard has been tackled.
I went from this ugly rusty small switch:
20170803_171456.jpg
To this nice rubberized waterproof joystick.
20170803_171516.jpg
20170803_171528.jpg
Does not bring much but just far more comfortable in hand and easy to grab.
Of course the cost was pretty indecent considering this is marine control... this gives me an idea... What do you think this one cost?

L.

As I was fed up playing with chargers for cell phone tablet etc I started to install the little things:

IMG_0275.JPG

Very convenient with 2 USB, 1 lighter outlet and voltmeter. Dirty cheap but do the trick and as I will have one in everyplace no need to go to the dashboard to check batteries voltage.

IMG_0232.JPG

Photo above is just a dry fit waiting the mahogany planks to be in place on the wall.

L.

Neat, colorful, looks very professional.

Time to continue with the work.
As I will replace my water heater I will take the opportunity to redo the whole plumbing of the boat. The reason is that I don't like where the pipes are running and also I want to add an accumulator tank and filtration. Also I want to fit in manifold with valves to be able to isolate any part of the plumbing so I can work on it without having to totally shutdown water.
So here is a plan of what I foresee as the new setup:

Bleuvet - Plumbing.jpg

Any feedback will be very welcome :)

L

Last edited:
Time to continue with the work.
As I will replace my water heater I will take the opportunity to redo the whole plumbing of the boat. The reason is that I don't like where the pipes are running and also I want to add an accumulator tank and filtration. Also I want to fit in manifold with valves to be able to isolate any part of the plumbing so I can work on it without having to totally shutdown water.
So here is a plan of what I foresee as the new setup:

View attachment 76059

Any feedback will be very welcome :)

L

When I click on the pic to make it bigger some of the writing goes away

Should be fixed now, replace the image by a JPG version.

L

Ok now speaking power, I am planning my 12V circuit refit in order to install my new gc2 batteries and the new sterling charger.
Below the schema of my planned setup:

Bleuvet%20-%2012V%20Circuit.jpg

Any comment or input about this?

I am questioning myself about the alternator connection, as I see 2 options:
Option 1: alternator connected to start and 2 VSR to link the 3 banks.
Option 2: using a charge splitter like proIsoCharge ou the equivalent made by sterling or one made by vetus.

Currently my start and house are separated by a diode isolator that I should remove.

Also if going to VSR, should the alt be connected to the start or the house? I often read the start but at the same time it is the one barely discharged.

Note: the two batteries powering the bow thruster are my old g31.

L

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Oh my. MAJOR problem with the plumbing! Knowing you as well as I do, both from having met you in person and from your posts on TF you have committed the error of errors. Mon Dieu! You have forgotten to plumb in the MOST important item.

th

Je suis écrasé...

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Oh my. MAJOR problem with the plumbing! Knowing you as well as I do, both from having met you in person and from your posts on TF you have committed the error of errors. Mon Dieu! You have forgotten to plumb in the MOST important item.

th

Je suis écrasé...
LOL!!! not at all my dear Mr RTF, I just keep this plumbing top secret to avoid seeing some smart guys finding a way to access the precious nectar so greatly needed for my blood to continue to flow in my veins :D

L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom