Can you dock your boat single handed???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not surprised a fixed dock with a 7' tide baffles anyone.

On a moon tide its much closer to 9' and that can be somewhat of a surprise if your cruising from far off. Most all the boats we see with these issues are local from the LI side or just over on the Ct side.
They of course should know better but its a bang up year for poor behavior so far.

Nice thread. The line many pages back about not going faster than you would want to hit the dock was preached to me by my dad as well years ago.

Put ours in gear she does near 6 knots
Take her out of gear and have greatly reduced steerage.

Came in last night for our 12 weekly fill.
No problems and must have looked almost professional to those at the restaurant lit up by our spotlight, but I really must remember to breathe.

On a moon tide its much closer to 9' and that can be somewhat of a surprise if your cruising from far off. Most all the boats we see with these issues are local from the LI side or just over on the Ct side.
They of course should know better but its a bang up year for poor behavior so far.

They should know better but many are use to floating docks.

When floating docks first came about I hated them, now I like them. Easy on and off, easy tie up and the old noise is now gone.

When floating docks first came about I hated them, now I like them. Easy on and off, easy tie up and the old noise is now gone.

And properly built and installed, they are far better for storms and hurricanes too.

Psneeld wrote, "[D]on't commit to a side just because you rigged based on a dockmaster assignment and suggestion."

Amen and amen. Learned that one the hard way one day when I entered a yacht club via its narrow approach channel, bound for a dockmaster-assigned starboard-side tie to a face dock. (Those who have visited the Field Club in Sarasota will appreciate the situation). My vessel at the time was a 46' Morgan ketch. The wind from an approaching cold front was out of the northwest, an easy 20 knots-plus with powerful gusts, on my port quarter. As I entered the confined basin, I discovered another boat in my assigned spot - apparently preparing to depart, but with captain and crew still saying their leisurely goodbyes to some folks on the dock, including the oblivious dockmaster.

With that much wind on the stern or beam, in that confined basin, stopping or turning around in a heavy, underpowered single-engined sailboat were not options. Spotting an open slip next to a finger dock slightly downwind of the face dock, I had no choice to bear off and go for it, even though:

1) It required tieing up port-side to, and

2) even though I was all rigged with fenders, lines, and inexperienced crew positioned to handle my intended starboard-side docking, and

3) even though I would be slowing and entering the slip in a howling crosswind with nothing to my lee except someone's expensive yacht snug in the adjacent slip, and

4) even though my boat, when backed hard, drew the stern to starboard (IOW, away from the finger pier and pilings I needed and toward the aforementioned neighbor), and

5) even though I really wanted to wake up and find this was all a bad dream.

Based on the dockmaster's advisory and instructions, delivered over the VHF ten minutes earlier, I had carefully thought-out my approach and docking maneuver, discussed it in advance with my crew, and had placed everything just where it would be needed. What I intended as a safe, no-drama docking in adverse conditions turned into what surely looked like amateur hour. No harm done, but it was pandemonium for about forty-five seconds while I directed my willing but confused crew to shift a couple of lines (leave the fenders where they were for the moment, I said). Hastily, nearly miraculously, someone got a forward spring line onto the second piling from the tip of the finger, and I was then able power the rest of the boat alongside against a merciless wind.

No tip for that dockmaster, I can tell you.

I can appreciate your post having been into Fields a bit. Overall, a great stop.

So what I take away from this discussion in "be flexible ".

Posted last night and then deleted so will try again. I single hand my 32', single screw, no thruster boat fairly often although not for trips but fuel, oil changes, haulouts and so on. I have made trips alone but not often.

We have permanently mounted lines and fenders both sides. NOt buried in a locker. If additional are needed they too are easily available. NOt buried somewhere.

THe bow lines are brought back to the cockpit and can be set up in Camcleats, often are, so they are grab and go. Same for the stern lines.

We have adequate but narrow side decks so the front fenders are deployed and retrieved from the salon windows. My wife leans out her window to grab her fender, I have a small retrieval line tied to a stanchion that enables me to pull my fender up from my window.
Those fenders reside always on the side decks.
The stern fenders reside in the cockpit, permanently affixed to their tie point, but simply need to be tossed out, not dug out.

Too many times we watched and experienced changes in docking needs due to current/winds or as some one said above, wrong instructions. We often/usually have all those lines and fenders at the ready for immediate use if some thing goes wrong. No scrambling to change line or fender positions, just change ideas.

Once docked, when we don't need all the opposite side lines and fenders, they are secured out of the way BUT still deployable fast.

BandB has good advice also. If your slip is the pits getting in and out then consider moving. I too see people afraid to move the boat for the reason above. It's a catch 22 as they are afraid to move therefore they don't get the needed practice to figure things out and improve their technique so they don't move.

I used to, still do, watch the fishermen operate their boats. Learned a heck of a lot. SOme of them are rough as heck and not to be emulated but some are great to watch.

I'm not afraid to use some throttle both fwd. and rvs. although one has to have some confidence in the boat and ones ability to control it. Not that I don't goof up as I do but it's kept to a very dull roar. Lots of practice and learning and setting MY boat up the way I wanted it, not always the way everyone else does it.

I'll fess up. I've had the same boat for 32 years now and we have used her, a lot . I would not feel comfortable operating another vessel without a lot of practice .

As for bullrails vs cleats, both would be best. I've been in marinas with only cleats and I hate[???] those because it never fails that they in the wrong place. On the other hand they are quicker to wrap a line around yet good bullrails,GOOD BULLRAILS, are not a problem. Best if cleats are also present.

In my own slip I have added cleats as I determined were needed to suit me and the boat. Of course I asked first as I don't own the dock but I've never been refused.

Enough as this can go on forever but after all the comments I thought I'd chime in.

Last edited:
We have permanently mounted lines and fenders both sides. NOt buried in a locker. If additional are needed they too are easily available. NOt buried somewhere ...

Same here. We do, however, pull up the fenders and place them on our wide deck when underway. :blush:

Mark,
If I gave the impression the fenders hang over the side always that was not my intention.

When we travel, the forward ones reside on the sidedeck and the aft ones in the cockpit secured to their hangers permanently so they can quickly be put into place with no tieing, simply pushed out.

Haven't read all the posts yet in this good thread.

You can dock single handed...most of the time. Sometimes maybe not.
As already said..too many constantly changing variables.

You can set up your home dock to make it easier to do no matter the conditions..lines set, fenders on the dock, boat hook, other tools so you can get a line on the dock to help secure the boat while getting closser to the dock.

But, there are places without those pre-placed things. Places with no dock cleats but bullnose timbers where you have to pass the line under the timber and tie it or get it back to the boat. Difficult to do single handedly.

So, again..sometimes yes, sometimes not so easy.
I love those days where I just have to get the boat relatively close and the changing tide and light wind perfectly places me on the dock.

When I was a kid my dad told me to never dock at a speed that you weren't afraid to hit the dock. That's an oversimplification but in many ways is still true.

I told that the first time I docked a boat. Probably some of the most sound advice anyone has told me.

Like many have said before me in this thread, practise makes perfect. The more you know about your individual boat's tendencies and your docking location's current, wind, ect., the better.

I think some people brag about being able to dock a single engine boat without any fancy thrusters. If you use enough fenders, anyone can dock a single engine boat... :popcorn:

After 4 years of owning our boat I docked in zero wind and no current yesterday for the first time...managed to step off onto the dock but came up about 10 feet short :eek:

I can, but I have a system that might not work for everyone.

I run one long line from the bow back to the helm and one line from the stern to the helm. Then I maneuver to the dock, jump off with both lines in my hand, and run around and tie off like a madman before the wind or current takes control!

I run one long line from the bow back to the helm and one line from the stern to the helm. Then I maneuver to the dock, jump off with both lines in my hand, and run around and tie off like a madman before the wind or current takes control!

This is what I do... I also like the prior advice on dock at the speed you are ok having a collision. Speed is not your friend.

Can you dock your boat single handed? Why would you have to? With the occasional instance of your own private dock excepted, almost every other time there is somebody around willing to give you a hand and they are already on the dock. The trouble is, we have too much ego in many instances and won't bother to ask. Not long ago in this same forum there was a long thread about reasons to turn down the offer of help from the dockside crowd. Every fuel dock has someone ready to take your line. Commercial marinas have dockside help to guide you to your assigned spot and take your lines. Almost every dock has spectators, liveaboards and other boaters willing to give a hand and just waiting for an invitation. Pretty much every experienced boater can recognize a novice coming in and generally head towards the slip "just in case", especially in adverse weather and current conditions. The same group will also recognize a dissabled boat making their way in and will again be there to assist. I've even had a boater nose into the dock so I could clamber over the bow to take the helm and bring her in (Her, the boat. Not her the person.). I've also been involved in dinghying out to a boat in the channel to transfer aboard to bring her in. All they had to do is ASK.

Personally, I've been known to turn down offered help in difficult docking (ego?) and if other factors are right will touch the bow against the main dock at the end of a slip, holding the bow there with forward idle, gently apply some rudder to swing the stern towards the finger dock. Be careful that the bow doesn't start to slide along the dock but you have to go to quite an angle before she does, that means the stern has moved a considerable distance to the side. Forward idle keeps her there while a stern line is fastened. Now you have time and space to secure the rest of the way. (Please note! I bring the bow as gently as could be against the dock. No crashing involved.)

That was one of the musts w latest boat...
I don't think I would consider a boat I couldn't single hand at least in a pinch...better anytime.

With the occasional instance of your own private dock excepted, almost every other time there is somebody around willing to give you a hand and they are already on the dock.

Commercial marinas have dockside help to guide you to your assigned spot and take your lines.

Maybe true where you are...

And one reason for not wanting help from any old bozo on the dock is that often bozo won't do what you tell him (or her: bozette) to do. When bozo (or bozette) "knows better" the situation can go south fairly quickly.

-Chris

Last edited:
After hours at many marinas.....say dinner time arrival......not a sole around all too often.

Speed is your friend when docking with a strong current sometimes because without it, you will get slammed into the boats down cureent and be pinned there until slack tide or a towboat can pull you off.

Sure you can wait to go into that slip, but how long you gonna wait if you need to get tied up? ....or go someplace else because using a little speed to get in was faster than zero...the speed I like when hitting things.

Thats where practice and if necessary, training is the cure.

Last edited:
Is it even possible? My boat is a 31' Mainship Sedan Bridge. When it's windy, it might as well be a sailboat. Throw in a current and it's a challenge.

Do any of you do it? If so, what are your techniques?

You've gotten all sorts of advice from skippers whose vessels are not light with high windage. Your Mainship is and will indeed be challenging in strong winds and currents. I know many experienced skippers with vessels like yours who monitor conditions carefully and look seemingly like pros - for them, creating a good docking window pays off.

Heavier and deeper draft vessels like most sail boats can be mastered with a single only. For us sissies who care about gel coat and neighbors, thrusters and twins are quite nice.

I saw a long, narrow and minimal windage lobster boat design the other day perform miracles. Single, huge rudder and about 2 turns lock to lock. Heavy use of throttle and capped off with a legendary skipper. Wow, but it was not like your boat.

Practice and situational awareness is the key for your vessel. Don't be too brave, it can get expensive.

Maybe true where you are...

And one reason for not wanting help from any old bozo on the dock is that often bozo won't do what you tell him (or her: bozette) to do. When bozo (or bozette) "knows better" the situation can go south fairly quickly.

-Chris

Yes, you're right. But the OP was about not being able to get it in singlehanded due to conditions. In a case were any help is appreciated or there won't be a successful docking.

Yes, you're right. But the OP was about not being able to get it in singlehanded due to conditions. In a case were any help is appreciated or there won't be a successful docking.

Are we still talking about boats?

One of the nice features of my boat's stern docking station is the ability to get the stern on a starboard side tie, next to the dock. I'm usually within line tossing or reaching distance of a piling or cleat. With a line from my boat to the piling or cleat, it simply a matter of pushing the bow to the dock with the thruster, walking to midship and grabbing the prepositioned bow line.

If as a previous poster mentioned, you have a midship helm with bow & stern lines, securing the stern first and having a wireless remote for the bow thruster, might take some of the excitement out of solo docking.

Ted

This is what I do... I also like the prior advice on dock at the speed you are ok having a collision. Speed is not your friend.

And what do you do if the wind or current does take control?

Drive slow, crash slow [emoji3]

I wouldn't even want to try. Could I? Yea maybe, but that means one of two things have happened... Bess has injured herself and can't help, or for some reason, I am boating without the only person I care about on this Earth. Neither reason is very likable or appealing. So there. ;)

Re: docking twin boat on a single in high wind.
I've never had a docking accident. That includes boats, tugs (and what's attached), and ships. One reason I don't have an accident record is I have the patience to wait until conditions are favorable. Why risk the damage to your vessel, the dock and maybe injured people?
Anchor or pick an easy transit dock and wait. The wind doesn't blow forever. Same for difficult currents.

When I was the Training Officer for a Navy patrol boat unit, I had the old Brit saying "Softly, softly, catchee monkey" printed as a header on all docking and alongside training materials for prospective boat captains. Words to live by. Wish I'd been clever enough to adopt "Don't approach anything faster than you're willing to hit it." Good advice from the posters fathers.

Back
Top Bottom