How many years left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As my Doc friends say, "keep walking" to stay in shape. Currently I'm walking about 8 miles every morning, with a 35# pack. Getting in shape to hike the 220 mile John Muir Trail starting Sep 11. I'm 62 and my hiking buddy is 64. We are planning on 18 days, with one rest day somewhere in the middle. Trips like this are great incentive to stay in shape:thumb:

18 days is a reasonably aggressive schedule. My son did it solo a couple years ago in about 12 days. He was 24 years old however.

18 days is a reasonably aggressive schedule. My son did it solo a couple years ago in about 12 days. He was 24 years old however.

Suppose if you are a Walter Starr type, and if you don't know Starr, you're likely unprepared.

I'd expect at least a 30-day transit if the body holds out, and you'll likely need at least two resupplies.

What was the question again?

200.gif

Lovely thread indeed

I love this hopeful, passionate thread.
Thanks Bruce for starting it.

Having started with boating a tad late (52) I most certainly hope to enjoy it as long as I can.

My mom won't be able to ever join me (heart patient), breaks my heart but also encourages to give it my all.
And to FaceTime her on cruises and boating lazy time (bless her heart to be a vivid iPad user).

Us healthy lot should maximize the experience. We only have one lap down here.

I love this hopeful, passionate thread.
Thanks Bruce for starting it.

Having started with boating a tad late (52) I most certainly hope to enjoy it as long as I can.

My mom won't be able to ever join me (heart patient), breaks my heart but also encourages to give it my all.
And to FaceTime her on cruises and boating lazy time (bless her heart to be a vivid iPad user).

Us healthy lot should maximize the experience. We only have one lap down here.

Not questioning the decision, but just wondering why she can't ever join you on the boat?

Glad she's facetiming. Being able to skype and facetime has been incredible for us. We started our niece two weeks after her birth. Obviously, she didn't know what was happening. I've told so many grandparents who had grandkids far from them.

Not questioning the decision, but just wondering why she can't ever join you on the boat?

Glad she's facetiming. Being able to skype and facetime has been incredible for us. We started our niece two weeks after her birth. Obviously, she didn't know what was happening. I've told so many grandparents who had grandkids far from them.

Isn't it neat to hook up this way? One of the better advancements of society and technology. Good on you David.

My mom is not mobile anymore with heart function below 60% after two heart attacks and diabetc/obesity. But she enjoys the iPad shows and my visits.

I often wonder how many years my wife and I have left to enjoy boating.
Her parents are just now giving up boating, their favorite lifelong pastime, at the age of 85. I thought that was an impressive run. Tonight we ran into couple that are in their early and late 90's who are out cruising in their 36' American Tug!!! How awesome is that? The photo is of my wife's dad rowing his beloved Dyer dinghy in Block Island a year or two ago, a dinghy they owned for some 50 years...
Bruce

That is a good question and one I have wondered about myself, then I realized that asking the question doesn't solve the problem.
We won't know until it happens, we should live life to the full, Carpe Diem-seize the day.

Isn't it neat to hook up this way? One of the better advancements of society and technology. Good on you David.

Not that long ago, we were talking to our sister, Tiffany, and then she handed the phone to Aurora, our niece. Aurora made a face and looked around, shook her head and walked over to the screen she normally sees us on. She wasn't use to this regular phone stuff and didn't like it. We got on cam to make her happy.

Good luck. On my last backpack trip which was in the High Sierra some fifteen years ago, met several folks attempting to do the whole John Muir trail. A single fellow said it was his third attempt, and a man and woman couple were on their first attempt. They had yet to cross Forester Pass, the highest, which I've never done. Too late for me now.

Thanks - need all the luck I can get - especially this yr. With the record snowpack in the Sierra there will be deep snow/ice on the non-sunny sides of most passes, and all of the streams and rivers are raging torrents from the runoff. My hiking buddy is an acute care doc:thumb::thumb: And we have a bit of experience - not trying to prove anything and will not take undue risks.

Suppose if you are a Walter Starr type, and if you don't know Starr, you're likely unprepared.

I'd expect at least a 30-day transit if the body holds out, and you'll likely need at least two resupplies.

Yep, I've read Starr's guide. We will have two resupply points - Vermillion Ranch and by horseback at Kersage pass. The plan is to hike 17 days, and have one rest day at VVR.

RTF - sorry for the thread drift. I hope to be boating, and hiking into my 80's at least, based on familial history:)

Greetings,
Mr. FC. No apology necessary. While some will leave boating for physical health reasons, I suspect my reason will be in diminishing mental faculties. So my "What was the question again" was only in partial jest.

Greetings,
Mr. FC. No apology necessary. While some will leave boating for physical health reasons, I suspect my reason will be in diminishing mental faculties. So my "What was the question again" was only in partial jest.

Unfortunately, a sizable percentage of those of us here will develop Alzheimer's. It's a horrible condition and strikes with not only the memory losses but changes in personality and behavior. I've heard kids with parents with Alzheimer's express it as "She's not my mother anymore. I lost her." I think in many cases the journey is worse for family than for the patient.

i just read all the posts on this thread and am filled with appreciation and awe to all those who contributed thus far. i think, IMHO, that this is one of the best threads on TF. (I'm sure the 50-60 year old kids won't appreciate it as much as I do. :blush:)

Some years ago I started to give up on my boating passion but with a new ride I regained my appetite for this past time. I am presently adding extra rails and anything that makes boarding and disembarking easier for my wife as she has a problem with her knees and balance. I plan to pursue this boating thing until at least I'm well into my 80s. At present I'm 76 and still motoring on!

I'm adding a "staple" to my swim platform tomorrow to aid in getting in & out of the dinghy. It will be mounted in the middle of the swim step, between the cleats, allowing each of us to stand up, grab the "staple" and disembark.

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
i just read all the posts on this thread and am filled with appreciation and awe to all those who contributed thus far. i think, IMHO, that this is one of the best threads on TF. (I'm sure the 50-60 year old kids won't appreciate it as much as I do. :blush:)

Some years ago I started to give up on my boating passion but with a new ride I regained my appetite for this past time. I am presently adding extra rails and anything that makes boarding and disembarking easier for my wife as she has a problem with her knees and balance. I plan to pursue this boating thing until at least I'm well into my 80s. At present I'm 76 and still motoring on!

I'm adding a "staple" to my swim platform tomorrow to aid in getting in & out of the dinghy. It will be mounted in the middle of the swim step, between the cleats, allowing each of us to stand up, grab the "staple" and disembark.

Wifey B: Great to see you making accommodations for your and her age and condition. Sometimes that's changing boats or changing the type boating. I'm not even close to the 50-60 year old group yet but still find this very meaningful. We have friends who are older and love boating so first concern is keeping them going plus none of us know what might happen to us.

I see the time I just can't handle a boat and not up to long trips or all the excitement but still just getting out on the water a few hours on a calm day will still be nice. Maybe it will even be cruising and reminders of the memories from earlier trips to the same places. I see the time the greatest joys will be watching all the other boats when we're out among them and also watching our younger friends and family enjoying the water.

One of my greatest joys is sharing the experiences with others. If you've seen a whale, seen the dolphins swim with you, seen glaciers, what joy to be with someone who is seeing any of it for the first time. I can't wait right now to take my niece on some incredible trips, then the kids of other extended family. Then their kids. We do cruise with a lot of people often but the joy is seeing them, sharing with the younger ones especially. Even when the time comes that all I can do is sit on the patio and watch them take off in the boat, I'll still enjoy it.

And I'll always have the memories. Now, even those with Alzheimer's will shock you remembering some things and if you can keep them safe they can still enjoy a trip on the boat and seeing things, even if they don't remember it two hours later. Part of the pleasure is it in our memory but for some all they have is the present and it becomes even more important. The goal in a memory care center is an activity every 15 minutes.

Ok, this too. I want a long and healthy life. However, I've already had such an incredible life, been so filled with joy, if tomorrow was the end, I'd still have no complaints. Still I intend to live every day to the fullest and fully intend when either hubby or I approach the end to get naked and hold each other in bed. :)

I love racing sailboats, and although I've taken a break recently to travel around on my power boat, I've been pretty active in Laser Masters racing over the past ten years or so. 79 year old Peter Seidenberg is a legend - on the rare occasion that I beat him boat for boat I've had a very good race!

When they set up the master's class originally the top age bracket was 65+. Now they've added a 75+ category.

http://www.sailingworld.com/laser-master

Greetings,

My dear Mr RTF, I could have add something to your comment but not sure my sense of humor would have been well understood and received :D

L.

I'm in the same boat, RTF. Judging from my family history, Alzheimers kicks in at about 75 - 80, but the body keeps on going strong into the nineties.

I may head out to sea one day and just forget to come back. I'm ok with that.

Not that long ago, we were talking to our sister, Tiffany, and then she handed the phone to Aurora, our niece. Aurora made a face and looked around, shook her head and walked over to the screen she normally sees us on. She wasn't use to this regular phone stuff and didn't like it. We got on cam to make her happy.

Hahaha, that's funny though

... I am presently adding extra rails and anything that makes boarding and disembarking easier for my wife as she has a problem with her knees and balance. ...

At 70, I've noticed a significant decline in strength and balance. Thankfully, my present boat minimizes those effects so far (plenty of railings, deck readily accessible to floating docks). :dance:

I'm in the same boat, RTF. Judging from my family history, Alzheimers kicks in at about 75 - 80, but the body keeps on going strong into the nineties.

I may head out to sea one day and just forget to come back. I'm ok with that.
There was a member at RSYS who had suffered a brain injury, he kept sailing and would head offshore solo overnight, and would return safely. One day, sailing in the harbour, he went aground off Bradleys(I`ve had my sailboat on that reef once too). He entered the water to check for damage, and was crushed, dying between the boat and the rocks.
I thought my remaining boating days were about "0" when on Monday, I helped unload, very carefully, a 110kg drum of anchor chain for my boat, somehow aggravating my old back injury. With the help of various potions it is improving but I`ll be giving that drum a wide berth. At all times we are but a whisker away from a life changing event. Especially as we age.

I plan to boat past the end. When I go, my instructions are for my wife (who will doubtless survive me) to load me, my guitars, books, golf clubs and other treasures onto our boat. She is then to set it afire, shove off and--at the last moment--jump aboard wearing a diaphanous gown. She assures me she's all-in with this plan . . . :thumb:

There was a member at RSYS who had suffered a brain injury, he kept sailing and would head offshore solo overnight, and would return safely. One day, sailing in the harbour, he went aground off Bradleys(I`ve had my sailboat on that reef once too). He entered the water to check for damage, and was crushed, dying between the boat and the rocks.
I thought my remaining boating days were about "0" when on Monday, I helped unload, very carefully, a 110kg drum of anchor chain for my boat, somehow aggravating my old back injury. With the help of various potions it is improving but I`ll be giving that drum a wide berth. At all times we are but a whisker away from a life changing event. Especially as we age.

I'd suggest as we age as boaters, if we want to continue, understanding what we can and can't, what we should and shouldn't do are very important for being able to boat as long as possible. Mark notes his boat's accommodations for poorer strength and balance. He has a boat that seems ideally matched to him. Plus he does the type boating well matched to himself.

Don't aggravate old back injuries and the only way to minimize that risk is not to lift things we shouldn't. A 242 lb drum is definitely among those things that shouldn't be lifted by hand by two people or even three. Find equipment to handle it or some other means. Even for younger people, it's that one unwise move that can make boating more difficult for the next 20 years.

The case of the sailor mentioned, if that's his choice of risk and how to go then fine, but one should consider the impact on family and friends and loved ones and make sure they understand that you know the risk and why you're taking it. One also needs to not put others at risk.

My years of business background, manufacturing and OSHA compliance, have made me very safety conscious. When you're young is time to start protecting yourself. Protect your hearing in the ER, protect your eyes. When you develop the habits, it's not difficult. Protect against burns. Of course, be safe when boating. This isn't being a wimp, it's being greedy, wanting to be as healthy as long as possible so you can continue to boat, so you can continue to enjoy life to the fullest. We love the sun, but we protect ourselves and our guests against it.

As long as I'm on the subject, healthy living habits are part of it too. Weight, exercise, checkups and physicals. Then two things that I can't let pass by. Nothing else has the negative impact on life expectancy or quality of life in the future that smoking does. It's just trading what might be a little pleasure today for a lot of suffering in the future. Then there's alcohol. I saw this linked article last night. It's not just alcoholism, but the broader topic of alcohol abuse and one in eight Americans struggles with alcohol abuse. I'd venture a guess that it is at least that high among TF members.

Study finds 1 in 8 Americans struggles with alcohol abuse - CNN

I read the book 'Blue Zones' several years ago - it describes 5 or 6 areas around the globe where people regularly live to late 90's and over 100, in a healthy manner. They share 5 things in common: walk everywhere daily, drink wine with meals regularly, have a close group of good friends that you socialize with, eat a Mediterranean diet, and have a purpose in life - something that gets you out of bed every day. Sound advice:thumb:

My wife and I always enjoy meeting new friends in anchorages, and do so regularly. Earlier this year, we met a couple in their late 70's aboard a wooden GB 36. We had them over for cocktails, and hit it off immediately. The woman cussed like a sailor, and her husband was just full of funny stories. A week later we ran into them at another anchorage and got together again, this time aboard another boat, with another aging couple. I picture this couple going for at least another 10-15 years. A great inspiration to me and my wife, both about 60 years old. :dance::dance::dance:

Live life today because tomorrow is not guaranteed to anybody. Thanks for this great thread.

Cheers, Bill

Mission accomplished!

Attachments

• IMG_3013.jpg
    IMG_3013.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 60
Go Codger!. Surely that rail will be helpful.

A "staple" is a much better addition than a "granny rail". They look kind of similar, but they`re not, not a bit.

I love this thread, as well as the people and opinions that make this place a great place to be.:thumb:

Thanks to all for the motivation:thumb::socool:

3 Years ago while we were in Friday Harbor at the dock, we'd watch with marvel as these husband and wife teams (don't want to guess at ages, but much older than us) would park these BIG boats so well and make it look so easy. I often thought... I hope I can be doing that when I'm 70 or 75.

My wife and I are both 60 now, we just put our 31' sailboat up for sail after putting quite a few miles on Puget Sound, from Seattle to Victoria and the San Juans. She was having trouble negotiating lines, stepping off the boat, etc., so we just bought a 36 Eagle trawler. Both very excited about it and look forward to at least 10 years of good boating in the great PNW, or as long as the good Lord allows our strength, dexterity and mind to continue.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom