Butane micro-torch instead of hot knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aenlic

Veteran Member
I'm almost finished installing safety netting on my boat, and I've been using a decent hot knife purchased from Amazon. ($35 vs Sailrite's $135)

I was picking something up at Svendsen's (local chandlery) and mentioned my project; one of the staff pointed out a butane micro-torch as something which could take the place of a hot knife for sealing the ends of ropes/cords, and I've found some which actually include hot knife tips.

Has anyone used a micro-torch for this sort of work?

Thanks-

aenlic

I use one of these for many things including cooking and melting rope ends
Cut rope with actual knife, melt end of rope with fire.

Cost $5 on ebay
FLAME ON. ;)

m0009.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. a. A butane micro torch is on my necessary, must have tool list. Whilst I have not used mine for what you intend, I see no reason why it would not be capable, with the appropriate tip, to perform your cutting/fusing operations.

The ONLY caveat or warning I would ask you to very seriously keep in mind is that you will be using OPEN FLAME. While your hot knife, which I assume is electric, may brush up against a combustible (paper towel, rag, the cat...) it would not likely ignite anything BUT the butane torch flame needs but a moment's contact to cause ignition. Please be careful.

That being said, I use mine to solder (with and without soldering tip) wire and smaller copper tubing, collapse heat shrink tubing, heat up stubborn small nuts and bolts, bend plastic tubing, small paint stripping jobs....AND...

200.gif

(Creme brulee...)

I have a small one onboard to singe the ends of lines and for use on shrink-wrap when electrons are in short supply. It doesn't get a whole lotta use, but when it's needed, it's valuable.

I use a hot knife when I have a big project and lots of line to cut. For small projects I use a butane torch. Not happy with mine though. Need to fine something a bit better. Mine was only about $4 to buy.

1 pound propane bottle with an igniter/nozzle. Will last you forever, stands up nicely and is the (singed) cat's pyjamas for lighting beach fires.

Greetings,
Mr. X. Fully agree for the bigger stuff but like screwdrivers, it's handy to have different sizes (flames). Since I use the 1lb. tanks for our grill I also have a larger nozzle for them as well.

..I was picking something up at Svendsen's (local chandlery) and mentioned my project; one of the staff pointed out a butane micro-torch as something which could take the place of a hot knife for sealing the ends of ropes/cords, and I've found some which actually include hot knife tips.
Has anyone used a micro-torch for this sort of work?

aenlic
That cordage procedure is called "a butane back splice".
I also bought one on ebay,smart streamlined,probably had its origins in creating creme brulee toffee layers.

I sold rope for about fifty years. I used an electric knife to cut it maybe twice.

On rope 3/16" or larger, tape, cut with a knife and melt the ends with a propane torch.

On braided small stuff, put light tension on it and cut it with the flame of a propane torch. If the small stuff is twisted, tape, cut and melt like bigger rope.

I've got three or four self lighting propane torches kicking around my garage and storage shed. Now my most common use is to light my bee smoker and barbecue.

Greetings,
Mr. HC's post reminded me of how I treated some of my nylon braid dock lines...

I tightly taped and cut the line in the middle of the taped section to appropriate length. Got some heavy battery cable heat shrink and slipped it down on the line, heat fused the end (frazzled some of the tape but...), removed the tape and slid the heat shrink to the end and shrink it on the end. Been about 4 years and still works well.

I just use a variation of one of these grill lighters to singe the ends of frayed lines. Works like a charm, buy 'em at the Dollar Store.

41rVusOqNJL.jpg

I just use a variation of one of these grill lighters to singe the ends of frayed lines. Works like a charm

Be holding them on for a long time doing the ends of 3/4 to 1" mooring lines.

Grill lighters from the $ type stores here are nowhere near as good as the ones GFC buys. In fact, they are usually rubbish. I got good ones recently at Whitworths, on special,"Hot Devil" brand with flexible wand tube,incl a bottle of refill butane suggesting mfr expects the device to outlast the pre filled tank. The ebay sourced one(post 8) came with a refill flask too,that inclusion seems to define quality/mfrs confidence.

I use the micro torches as mentioned above; for sealing rope ends, soldering, heat shrink, and for starting the occasional fire. A useful tool.

With all of the good uses for a micro torch, you left out an important one - the ability to light a good cigar on a windy day.

I have used my oil lamp to singe the ends of my dock lines. The torch that attaches to the green propane tanks works lickety split too. It is available in the camping section at Walmart for about $12 if memory serves me.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom