Newbie from Switzerland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gumbalaya

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rosi Heyerdahl
Vessel Make
Inter-Leja Eurobanker 34’
Ahoy trawlings, excited to learn (mostly) and share (slowly) as I'm fairly new to boating and brand new to trawlers.

Fell in love with the water ways here (220n.m. along largest domestic river Aare with three connected Swiss lakes).

Major crush on my 1978 Taiwanese Chin HWA 34' two cabin trawler.
Just picked her up last week and I can't wait for learning, applying, enjoying, making mistakes and fixing, going through the motions, etc.

Looking forward to the interaction, thanks in advance in supporting this life long journey.

Congratulations! ... Not aware that a boat can leave Switzerland by water unless it is capable of transiting a waterfall. So, are you landlocked or am I uninformed?

(I enjoy visiting/transiting Switzerland, usually by train, but restaurant meals cost two to three times as much as in adjacent countries!)

Welcome. I am sure you will enjoy you vessel.

Cheers.

H

Welcome! looking at your screen name I see "Gumbo Jambalaya" do you have a Louisiana connection? When I was working I often stopped in Geneva on trips to and from Africa, I always thought Lake Geneva would be a great place for boating.

Congratulations! ... Not aware that a boat can leave Switzerland by water unless it is capable of transiting a waterfall. So, are you landlocked or am I uninformed?

(I enjoy visiting/transiting Switzerland, usually by train, but restaurant meals cost two to three times as much as in adjacent countries!)
Thanks.
For now the accessible rivers and lakes are plenty to learn and enjoy.
In a year or two I'll tow it 50mi up North into the Rhine that connects to the open seas.

Last edited:
Welcome! looking at your screen name I see "Gumbo Jambalaya" do you have a Louisiana connection? When I was working I often stopped in Geneva on trips to and from Africa, I always thought Lake Geneva would be a great place for boating.
Thanks Steve.
I lived and worked in the Southern U.S. for 5 years and fell in love with Louisiana cuisine.
Also lived 30min away from Lake Lemàn (Lake Geneva) for 7 years but only enjoyed it canoeing (way too expensive to own a boat and more importantly, a mooring there).
You are right: very beautiful area indeed.

I noticed the "Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation" in your signature.

First thing to learn about boats is that this is a very risky and dangerous procedure. It must be carried out with the correct ceremony in order to appease the Swiss God of the Lake, who is Neptune's little brother.

I noticed the "Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation" in your signature.

First thing to learn about boats is that this is a very risky and dangerous procedure. It must be carried out with the correct ceremony in order to appease the Swiss God of the Lake, who is Neptune's little brother.

I am aware, hence the comprehensive planning.

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2195.jpg
    IMG_2195.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 50
Nice photos of your vessel Mate. Thank you for sharing them. Enjoy!

Cheers.

H

The Swiss have link to the Sea, from the ports of Basle commercial vessels get to Rotterdam within 3 days. I used to work in Switzerland, you will see many recreational trawlers on lake of Neuchatel, of Constance, I have seen a GB50.
This vessel is for sale in Neuchatel marina.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 45
The Swiss have link to the Sea, from the ports of Basle commercial vessels get to Rotterdam within 3 days. I used to work in Switzerland, you will see many recreational trawlers on lake of Neuchatel, of Constance, I have seen a GB50.
This vessel is for sale in Neuchatel marina.
Hi Mike,

Basel is at the Rhine, they are fine and this is where I need to go when I want to make the trip up to the North-sea.

From the lake system Neuchatel, Biel, Murten we have to take the Aare river (where my trawler is located) East but cannot go all the way into the Rhine (although this is where the Aare goes towards lake Konstanz). We have small bridges and a weit East of Solothurn which blocks the access to the Rhine.

But again: 50mi towing is not a big deal for a special and long trip.

Hi Mike,

Basel is at the Rhine, they are fine and this is where I need to go when I want to make the trip up to the North-sea.

From the lake system Neuchatel, Biel, Murten we have to take the Aare river (where my trawler is located) East but cannot go all the way into the Rhine (although this is where the Aare goes towards lake Konstanz). We have small bridges and a weit East of Solothurn which blocks the access to the Rhine.

But again: 50mi towing is not a big deal for a special and long trip.

Hi G.
Sure 50mi is not that much. I remember there were serious plans to connect Lake of Geneva over Lake of Neuchâtel and River Aare to River Rhine, any news about that ?

Hi G.
Sure 50mi is not that much. I remember there were serious plans to connect Lake of Geneva over Lake of Neuchâtel and River Aare to River Rhine, any news about that ?
They gave up on it - German - French.

Aare river and the connected lakes already flow into the Rhine but they'd have built 14 locks. The financing and ecological concerns tanked the project.

The even bigger project would have connected Lake Geneva with the Lake Neuchatel and the Mediterranean on top of it but here as well: similar concerns.

They gave up on it - German - French.

Aare river and the connected lakes already flow into the Rhine but they'd have built 14 locks. The financing and ecological concerns tanked the project.

The even bigger project would have connected Lake Geneva with the Lake Neuchatel and the Mediterranean on top of it but here as well: similar concerns.

Danke fur als Transhelvetischer Kanal, ich habe kein problem Deutsche sprache zu lesen.
You'r right, I recall long time ago there was a plan to link from Ticino over Milano onto River Po and therewith the Adriatic Sea, anyway northern Italy did not implement the project.

C'est en français que je te souhaite la bienvenu sur ce forum sachant que les "frouze" de Genève ne maitrise pas trop l'anglais. Mon bateau est à Mâcon plus simple pour aller mettre un peu de sel sur le pont...

Bonjour,
M. G. Bienvenue d'abourd. Mon Francaise est tres pauvre mais il y a des autres ici qui parle Francaise.

Me RTF you are trop modeste, votre français is very good!
Bienvenu à bord!

L

Back
Top Bottom