Freshwater System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Do most of you use marine type hoses and connectors for your freshwater system or do you use the typical home style plumbing components?

MY preference is for 5/8 copper tubing put together with flare fittings.

No chemical taste or ?? from plastic . No green slime growth in an area light might get to.

Repairable with no heat any where in the world.

But then I'm usually starting from new , not patching old stuff.

FF wrote:
MY preference is for 5/8 copper tubing put together with flare fittings.
*Can I assume that copper would not have any corrosion problems in a salt/brackish water environment?

Would you use standard tobing or the flex type?

Copper tubing and flare fittings are excellent for water lines.

I think 3/8 I.D. is big enough for most pleasure boats.* The larger diameter lines waste water as they hold too much, that has to be dumped waiting for the hot water to reach the tap.

IMHO* JohnP

My boat was built ion 1986 and uses all copper tubing for the FW plumbing. Never had a problem. Just regular off the shelf plumbing parts.

I stripped out all of the old copper and went with 1/2 inch PEX on my trawler project. I wanted to relocate the water heater and re-route the water lines for more accessability, additional shut off valves and ease of winterization. I used the copper crimp rings over brass fittings, color coded the lines and I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Anode wrote:
I stripped out all of the old copper and went with 1/2 inch PEX on my trawler project. I wanted to relocate the water heater and re-route the water lines for more accessability, additional shut off valves and ease of winterization. I used the copper crimp rings over brass fittings, color coded the lines and I'm very happy with the way it turned out.
*I second the use of pex... it is indestructible.. no issue with vibration, corrosion.. less condensation.. easy to run. If I had a choice it would be the only one.

HOLLYWOOD

This what I kind of suspected. It sure does make life easier and less expensive.

Another vote for PEKS.* No taste, no corrosion, and it will take a freeze without bursting.* The standard crimp fittings are certainly cheaper than specialized alternatives as well.* The only disadvantage is that it is less flexible, so we used reinforced potable water house in a few areas, but only in places that are readily visible and accessible.*

I don't know why anyone would use anything other than PEKS on a boat, or a house for that matter.

Hi Peggy, I see you have the sanitation situation well in hand on this forum! I'm actually more at home here than with all those blow boaters over on the other forum. Are you ever going to make it to Miami? I'd love for you to visit my store. Maybe you could do a book signing? Sorry, got off topic, Pex tubing!

Delfin wrote:
I don't know why anyone would use anything other than PEKS on a boat, or a house for that matter.
******* Thanks, you guys for bringing up the PEX tubing line. I never heard of it but rest assured, I'll use it in the future.

HopCar wrote:
Are you ever going to make it to Miami? I'd love for you to visit my store. Maybe you could do a book signing?
That could be a doable... Let's swap some email about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom